Author Topic: Conv windshield header finish.  (Read 999 times)

rsmith

• 1968 GT350 Conv.
    • View Profile
Conv windshield header finish.
« on: March 16, 2022, 06:01:43 PM »
Any ideas out there on refinishing my 68 conv windshield header? Mine's pretty badly pitted. Was Satin chrome the original? CJ has a bright chrome replacement. I tried posting a pic but there must be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 06:15:02 PM by rsmith »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Conv windshield header finish.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 06:10:13 PM »
Any ideas out there on refinishing my 68 conv windshield header? Mine's pretty badly pitted. Was Satin chrome the original? CJ has a bright chrome replacement. I tried posting a pic but there must be a problem.
Satin chrome was original . Satin chrome look is expected in concours . It is very hard to find anyone to do satin chrome. Badly pitted parts are not worth restoring. Outside concours  If you decide to paint them a comparable finish like many do then you can do bodywork and reuse them. The shiny chrome repros are the least expensive way to go but of course all three header pieces must match to not look odd.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rsmith

• 1968 GT350 Conv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 06:16:06 PM »
Thanks Bob!! I'll probably go the "paint as close as possible" route.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 06:41:00 PM »
Argent paint will get you pretty close to the original appearance, not exact, but usually acceptable.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 07:12:25 PM »
I refinished the inside corner pieces on my 70 Cougar vert (where the top clips in on both sides) with Krylon Original Chrome, and was very pleased with the satin finish. 

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 04:37:38 PM »
A year or so ago, I spoke with a gentleman at a place called Advanced Plating in Nashville Tenn. He said they did satin chrome , knew of the 3 pieces I was asking about, and quoted a ballpark price @ $600-700. 615-227-6900. I've not yet sent mine out but would like too.