Author Topic: What are the IRS rules on taxing the sale of a classic car?  (Read 2625 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What are the IRS rules on taxing the sale of a classic car?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 06:42:28 PM »
You'll be expected to pay profits on any amount you received above your purchase price that was not received in a brown paper bag at the time of the sale.
Cash is your friend.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 07:13:40 PM »
Listen take the money via a check or direct deposit, pay all that is due to your government friends.  Trust me you will sleep soundly
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 10:09:17 PM »
Cash.  Take only cash.   

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 07:43:31 AM »
Listen take the money via a check or direct deposit, pay all that is due to your government friends.  Trust me you will sleep soundly

Don't worry for me. NO ONE is putting money in my hands or has offered to. It was just a question since I am getting various answers from CPA's and I need to hear from others that have gone through this.

As always, cash talks and nobody walks BUT there are issues with cash as well. You can readily buy AR15's (are we up to 16's yet?) but ammo is in short supply.

With my two sons, we can easily get them in a crossfire considering the local terrain of hills and valleys and I'm remembering that I could only shoot 99 out of 100 and the smell of gunfire makes me sneeze so it gives away my position too readily?

My night vision is much better now though.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »
Yes, you need professional advice, not Internet advice.  However, I don't think you can add routine maintenance costs to your cost basis.  Things you spent money on to improve the cars value help to increase your cost basis but maintenance does not.  That has been my understanding.
Or IRS advice!!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 10:20:25 AM »
Cash will not help you at Mecum, BJ, Ebay, or any "public" sales event. I know I sound like a broken record, but why buy at those "places"? One on one sales where you have about 5 people involved. Me, myself, and I....and the seller.
RARE  Signature Delete