The Official SAAC Forum
November 21, 2017, 08:44:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts of Carroll Shelby - Check out the new SAACgacity  (Read 4845 times)
Computerworks
Administrator

Email
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »

Be sure to read the latest SAACgacity (the semi-regular column on www.saac.com).

"Thoughts of Carroll Shelby—and the Lingering Fallout "

"...I was asked by another publication what effect Carroll's passing would have on SAAC. It wasn’t something I had been considering at this point, but it did prompt me to clarify my thinking on the subject. The answer to this question is, not much that I can think of. Shelby was always there from SAAC's beginning. We didn’t invent him. Everyone just took his presence for granted but was, nevertheless, excited to see him in person. We have held a convention every summer since 1976. We always invited Shelby and he would attend when his schedule permitted. In 37 conventions, he was able to join us at 20 of them....".

Read all of Rick's essay...

>Click here to read the latest SAACgacity<

Use this thread to discuss the article.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:20:28 AM by Computerworks » Logged
66S285

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »

thought the greatest speech/thoughts I heard in the aftermath of his death was from Dan Gurney at the LA event.  Honoring him but recognizing, even to the last hilarious line, that there was a darker side to the man.

Rick
SFM6 S285
68KR #2375
07 GT500
NOLA Motorsports Park Member
Shelby6T5

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »

Yet once again you hit the nail on the head Mr. K.

M.

Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »

Fantastic summary.  Chug a Lug

svttim

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »

Great Article Rick. I have to disagree with your generalization concerning the new Shelby owner though. The demographics of the newer cars, especially the GT500 is an older crowd, most who because of lack of funds for the original Shelby Mustang/ Cobra cars were not able to purchase the cars they dreamed of or, who already own one of the original cars.

csheff

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »

+1 Rick, I've noticed a lot of new Shebly owners (have orignals)  buy them to drive and leave the orignals in the garage. So seeing the older cars is getting harder.

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »

I think the lack of seeing old cars may have lessened  some but  I can say over the last 30 or so years the number of early cars i have seen  out and free range  ( not going to a show or convention).. is less than 20. 

There  were only 14000 or so  cars from 65 -70  world wide .

2007                           17000
   2008                             9600
   2009                             5000
   2010                             4500
   2011                             3000
---------------------------------------
total                               39100  and counting new gen cars

almost 3 new cars for every old one if they were all still  alive and well.

782 new cars per state
280 old cars per state  if all survived..... and we know that didn't happen.

That is more the reason you don't see as many early cars . some are tucked away  but Many still get driven .

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »

That total is only for the current Ford production GT500 series.  The production numbers of the CSM nameplate vehicles out of Las Vegas SA are a few thousand more for the Terlingqua, Shelby GT, Shelby GT-H, GT350, etc. 

Yup, lots of us have have a nasty driving original series and a newer nameplate one for comfortable power cruising.  Both are fun in their own right.

Cool

cobrakidz

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:20 AM »

I have noticed here in Nor Cal that at a lot of events I am the only vintage Shelby in attendance, guess I had better pony up and get a new one too.  Smiley

13 Boss 302
66 GT350
65 Tiger
FL SAAC TONY

follow us on www.seflsaac.com

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:11:49 AM »

I have noticed here in Nor Cal that at a lot of events I am the only vintage Shelby in attendance, guess I had better pony up and get a new one too.  Smiley

good morning cobrakidz

Its not only an epidemic in NOR CAL....its actually spread all over the world. See my open letter directed to my little portion of my world

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=21709.0

be well

Tony (also known as the LONE RANGER and his faithfull 69 GT500)

p.s. we have both old and new Shelby's, love them both for what they are.

"Like" our FACEBOOK page at SEFLSAAC Region
bigb427

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »

As someone who has lived in Las Vegas since 1999, I have attended most of the SAAC does Vegas events and the Team Shelby Bash that now takes place since then. For a little perspective just a hand full of new cars attended the last couple SAAC events when they would've been brand new and now it is just the opposite (at least in the car show)- just a hand full of vintage cars attend.

Your friendly neighborhood Ford Senior Master Technician
Formerly: 67 GT500 #0784, 69 GT500 #0018, Boss 429 KK1599, 69 Mach 1 428SCJ W-code 4-speed, 69 Mach 1 428CJ 4-speed.
Currently: dreaming of owning another GT500, but driving a 70 J-code Torino Cobra 4-speed in the mean time.
cobradad

And the garage space to put them in....

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »

I have noticed here in Nor Cal that at a lot of events I am the only vintage Shelby in attendance, guess I had better pony up and get a new one too.  Smiley
Fine, get the new one if you must (I have an 07 Shelby GT as a daily driver) but I'm more than willing to bring out the '67 for no other reason than it is a nice w-end. Upcoming events scheduled so far, pre-tech at Custom Alignement, Pacific Coast Dream Machines in April and probably the last Goodguys show in Pleasanton.
In between those events besides waiting as is everyone else for more info on the convention.... I'm open for suggestions.
Clarence

94Cobra

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »

I put 1,000 miles on my 69 GT350 convertible last year and plan to do it again this year.  I would love to do a multi-state tour in it with a group of cars someday. 

I know several Shelby owners that own both old and new versions.  It does seem like most are leaning toward driving the newer ones more than the original Shelbys, especially when it gets real hot out and they can use the a/c in the newer ones.   

Is it me, or are there fewer and fewer people that recognize a Classic Shelby now-a-days when you are out driving in one?  I remember feeling like a celebrity in the early 90s when driving my KR due to all of the recognition and thumbs-ups the car would receive.  To me, it seems there is a lot less of that type of recognition for the classic Shelbys, both on the road and at local cruise ins these days.  I'm ok with this because I love my car and know what it is, but the numbers of people that recognize and appreciate them seem to have dropped quite a bit based upon my seat of the pants polling results.   

cobradad

And the garage space to put them in....

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »

+1 on the 1K milage goal. That is what I'm allowed by insurance per year. This is the first year the car is back together so I plan on seeing how many miles I can put on it. True on the recognition issue. I'm getting about a 50-50 recognition when driving around here. Hearing "nice mustang is irritating at times though. Those that do appreciate the car do go out of thier way to smile and give thumbs up though.

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »

Good point about classic car insurance.  With the limits on useage for mileage and type of use, few ever see these great cars and appreciate them as they used to years ago.  And then they will less interest by future generations and less demand for classic car insurance!

Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!