News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tail light/brake light issues

Started by Hey_jude, May 10, 2018, 09:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey_jude

Hey y'all! The rear wiring harness in my car has been pretty butchered through the years. I will eventually replace it but I'm trying to find the correct locations for the ground wires for the rear light harness.  Could someone pleas post a few pics of your trunk so I can see where the grounds are supposed be and what they are supposed to look like? Thanks

Jude
Follower of Jesus, Grateful Caretaker of #2196 and amateur car photographer.

Corey Bowcutt

I can not post pictures but if you go to thecoralsnake.com and go to index and then concourse pictures there are great pictures of trunks and Pete points out the ground screw.

Hey_jude

Coralsnake

Gold screw facing you in picture is ground for tail light harness

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Pete. I envy your ability to post pictures. I am clearly not educated enough to do it.

Hey_jude

Thank you Pete. Super helpful as always.

Coralsnake

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Hey_jude

So apparently I'm not a genius. I can't add pics either. Looks like there is a brown wire coming off the pass side brake/tail harness. Where does it go and what does it ground? Same wire on harness on driver just black...

Coralsnake

The wires coming off the tail light bulb harnesses should be black, have an eyelet and were originally grounded to the pot metal housings.

Hey_jude

Thanks. Driver side is also incorrect so that could explain some of my issues. Time to pull the panel out and get this right. Thanks. It would have been a lot easier if PO's always treated these cars like Shelby's and not experimental projects.

Grouper Trooper

Any pics of exactly where and how the GND from the harness with lug attaches to the pot metal tail light housing. I'm looking at my originals and nothing is apparent. 
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com

JWH

When my lights were giving me fits, I received some great help from the forum. One of the bits of advice that solved my problem was that each light bulb socket (6) must be grounded to the tail light housing. So when you have the panel out of the car, pull out each socket, take some Scotch Brite or steel wool and clean the area where each socket contacts the housing so there is good, clean contact.
     I would say you are on the right track too, making certain all the wiring grounds are clean and in place.
Jeff

Grouper Trooper

Yes, good point. I realized that after I had buttoned everything up. I've got everything apart again and am cleaning up contact surfaces of the cast buckets to the sockets. Still trying to figure out how the buckets were grounded. With the lug to plug? Where?
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com