News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine mounts question

Started by Shelbypat, January 11, 2022, 09:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelbypat

Hi. I was doing some maintenance on my  Gt 500 and noticed engine oil pan is very close to the cross bar underneath and left lift hook is touching the reinforcing plate of the shock tower
Is engine mounts collapsed a commun  issue ?

TKS
Patrick

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelbypat on January 11, 2022, 09:37:06 PM
Hi. I was doing some maintenance on my  Gt 500 and noticed engine oil pan is very close to the cross bar underneath and left lift hook is touching the reinforcing plate of the shock tower
Is engine mounts collapsed a commun  issue ?

TKS
Patrick

No not a common issue but sometimes they become spongy .The ones I have found that way were oil soaked too.I don't know if the oil caused it but maybe.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 11, 2022, 09:51:14 PM
No not a common issue but sometimes they become spongy .The ones I have found that way were oil soaked too.I don't know if the oil caused it but maybe.

Yes, oil does in time tend to attack the elastomer material and this includes some of the urethane mounts (import material more so) also.

As far as the clearance problem particularly that with the FE mounted in this chassis, in order to resolve the issue of attachments mounted to the cylinder head coming into contact with the shock tower(s), if only one side, the engine may need to shifted or rocked over some, this accomplished by loosening the mounts, lifting one side and allowing the opposite to drop 'some' this tilting the engine away from the offending side and ending the unappreciated vibration imparted to the chassis.  This effort may be stymied by a lack of movement available in the fixturing so slotting of the mount holes may be necessary.  If the entire engine is just situated to low causing both sides to come into contact with the shock towers and or the cross member then shimming between the mount and engine block will aid here.   :)

Scott.

Shelbypat

Here the place left hook touch. I will replace the left mount and see if I gain gap.
It was not like that when I restaured the car 15 years ago

TKS
Patrick