Author Topic: Who needs an R-Model gas tank?  (Read 4690 times)

jerry merrill

• View Profile
Re: Who needs an R-Model gas tank?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 01:21:41 AM »
I have a r-model tank in my replica that has the hammered down lip and a ring on top with the splash bucket on top, it works great and has not leaked a drop in 8 years, but I would not run it full for any reason and have the stainless steel panel to give a little more protection  .for the inside of the car.

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
Slightly off topic but I assume you're talking about a panel between the trunk and the back seat area. Did you fabricate that yourself or is that something that can be purchased? Is that a vintage racing requirement? If you fabricated it yourself, can you provide photos?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 12:11:08 AM »
I fabricated it myself, not the best looking but I run the car in open track events and with any size tank it is a good Idea. There are some after market ones that used to be sold and one that bolts on top of a stock sized tank. You can use aluminum plate and drill and bolt it in yourself that is not too hard to do. Not sure if it is required by vintage racers but for anything else it is a good modifacation unless you have a fuel cell. I will post picture soon.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 06:42:11 AM »
I agree that the bulkhead plate is a great idea if not using a fuel cell. I think most racing rules require a plate to close off the interior to the trunk as well as the engine compartment. The firewall does that to the engine compartment, as long as any holes are sealed. The rear bulkhead I believe in most rules requires a minimum .040" aluminum to close of the trunk to the driver's compartment.

I see that many R-Model track car utilize the rear package shelf, but they really do not seal off the driver's compartment. I use the package tray on my car, nut I am using the fuel cell. I'm going to consider installing a bulkhead closure the next time the tank or rear package tray needs to be removed.

Don
gt350bp

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
Back in the 60s my '66 GT350 was a driver, parked out side.  At one point I started to smell gasoline.  As it became more prevalent, I traced it to the tank.  The top of the tank was wet and was rusted like swiss cheese.  At that point I felt like I had been driving around with a 16 gallon teacup of gas in the trunk.  That and the Pinto fires made me a strong advocate of fuel cells in Mustangs - track or street.

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »
Here are some pictures of the bulkhead from trunk to interior. Not very good picture but maybe you get the idea. I used a thin sheet of fiberglass to fill in the inside of the car where the flip up panel would be.

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
One more closer

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 08:23:15 PM »
Still working on the tank plans. I guess I'll have to fab the bubble that was welded over the fuel gage fitting in the top half of the tank. The other fitting that is unique to the R-model tank is the vent located on top. Any ideas on where that hardware came from? Can anyone tell me what size that vent hose is?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2022, 09:58:11 AM »
I used a vent from the 9" rear end axle housing and drilled it out as large as possible. I suggest splitting your vent hose and using an inline rollover valve spliced into the vent hose. This setup has worked for me.

Don
gt350bp