The Official SAAC Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB: Holman Moody and/or Gurney Weslake valve covers  (Read 1517 times)
Turbo II

Scratch-built GT40

Email
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »

I'm in the process of collecting parts for my GT40 replica project and I'm looking for some interesting (although  incorrect) valve covers.  Would love to find a set of weathered Holman Moody or a set of the Gurney Weslake lookalikes to fit a SBF.  Another option which I haven't seen in decades are the DOHC styled ones sold by Gennie Shifters back in the 80's?

What do you have?

Thanks,

Francis

SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »

Hi Francis,

Chris Melia supplies these in the UK. melchrismelia@aol.com He was the one who had them casted  with the “Gurney Weslake” to fit 289/302 and aftermarket SB Ford heads. One other note they are tall enough for a T&D or Jesel shaft roller rocker system. Fran Hall of RCR www.RACECARREPLICAS.COM sells them or at least did for Chris here in the US. RCR is on the East Coast. Fran was selling them for approx $400.00. I own a set , see pics

Also available are the “Gurney Eagle” version of the same application, check with or email info@tornadosportscars.com or telephone 01562 820372. The cost is £295 per pair in the UK($475.62 USD).

Cheers,
~Earl J

* DSCN5570.jpg (77.69 KB - downloaded 116 times.)

* DSCN5552.jpg (84.4 KB, 800x600 - viewed 156 times.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:42:07 AM by SFM5S000 » Logged

2013/14 Member at Large Norcal Region SAAC
2012 VP NorCal Region SAAC
mygt350

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »

Really nice table!

Martin
Turbo II

Scratch-built GT40

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »

Earl,

Thanks for the quick reply and the excellent info.  I didn't realize Fran has (or had) the covers.  I've heard nothing but good about him nd RCR, I'll check with him if he still has a set.  I was aware of Tornado carrying them but the price starts climbing as you go across the pond.

Good point on the rockers, I wont be going all out with Jesels, but I will need the clearance so I need to keep this in mind.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any and all options, I change up valve covers from time to time anyway just to change the look.  The car won't be all polished and will have no chrome dressups as I prefer a "as raced '60s period" look.

Francis

CSX4781

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »

One thing to keep in mind with the Holman Moody valve covers is that clearance is minimal with stock rockers along the top edge of the valve cover (on the pushrod end of the rocker), and if you are using roller rockers, you will have to use a spacer (funny thing is, with the profile of the HM valve covers, you would expect NO clearance problems). But they look great. I just bought a new set for my newly purchased 1967 SCCA Mustang coupe while visiting Holman Moody yesterday. Lee Holman also told us they will have them in black paint in about 3 weeks, about 20 bucks more ($260.00 natural finish). They did have a Superformance Ford GT in the shop with the Gurney Weslake valve cover as well, lots of neat stuff popping up.

Dave

SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »

Earl,

Thanks for the quick reply and the excellent info.  I didn't realize Fran has (or had) the covers.  I've heard nothing but good about him nd RCR, I'll check with him if he still has a set.  I was aware of Tornado carrying them but the price starts climbing as you go across the pond.

Good point on the rockers, I wont be going all out with Jesels, but I will need the clearance so I need to keep this in mind.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any and all options, I change up valve covers from time to time anyway just to change the look.  The car won't be all polished and will have no chrome dressups as I prefer a "as raced '60s period" look.

Francis,

Here’s another option if you want to go down this road. I have a source to several sets of real Gurney Weslake heads, valve train, valve covers, valley cover, water manifold and choices of intake manifolds both Weber and Holley. It takes a real shiny penny though. “ain’t nothing like the real thing”… let me know.

~Earl J

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:29:23 PM by SFM5S000 » Logged

Turbo II

Scratch-built GT40

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »

Dave, thanks for the feedback on the Holman Moody, they are definitely an attractive product! (I'm partial to the look of natural cast aluminum). I am surprised that they are too tight for roller rockers, but I dont mind using the spacers and that's a decent price for something that's relatively unique.

Earl,  I considered looking at real Gurney heads (I think Jay Cushman is still offering some?) but not nearly enough pennies available!   Grin.    A few people think I'm nuts already for the Webers and manifold I have already purchased (which I think I stole at $2600 for all new components?).

Hmmmm, decisions decisions, I'm tempted to pick up a set of each and switch them out as moods dictate.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Francis

SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »

Francis,

Are you sure now? This is going into a friend's blinged out Pantera. It's what he wanted. You too can have a similar set-up. I'd agree, it looks better in raw cast. To each his own.

~Earl J

* Gurney Eagle #9.jpg (64.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 194 times.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:45:55 PM by SFM5S000 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!