Author Topic: Toyota Topped G.M. in U.S. Car Sales in 2021, a First for a Foreign Automaker  (Read 1224 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

jk66gt350

• View Profile
On a related note, this short video that graphically shows the Top Ten Car Producers In The World: 1950 - 2019, is pretty interesting as well.    https://para-rigger.posthaven.com/top-ten-car-producing-countries-1950-2019

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Very informative,  thanks for sharing

Also this is just a picture at this moment in time

GM will come back

On a related note, this short video that graphically shows the Top Ten Car Producers In The World: 1950 - 2019, is pretty interesting as well.    https://para-rigger.posthaven.com/top-ten-car-producing-countries-1950-2019
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
GM will come back

US auto sales mean nothing to GM. Their market is China. They would love to kill all their US plants and get rid of that pesky UAW. Start looking at the China content in a US built GM car it's going up rapidly. They are starting a plant to build their own chips in China even.

General Motors Co. and its joint venture in China sold more than 780,000 vehicles in the first quarter of 2021, a 69% increase over 2020's first quarter when the country was shut down during the pandemic.

That's about 150,000 more cars than they sold here. 
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Not enough chips to make all the vehicles you can sell. Sell more profitable models at less volume, make more money, lose top sales spot or sell less profitable models at higher volume, make less money, but keep top sales spot. Tough call. 

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
...Sell more profitable models at less volume, make more money,..

^^^ IMHO, that sorta defines the modern-day outlook at Ford & GM, "let them furriners make the little cars"  ??? ::) We'll make trucks.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
...Sell more profitable models at less volume, make more money,..

^^^ IMHO, that sorta defines the modern-day outlook at Ford & GM, "let them furriners make the little cars"  ??? ::) We'll make trucks.

Ford has realized the error of their ways and will be bringing back a mid size sedan - Hybrid of course.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
GM still makes the Malibu and Spark (for now). Sonic production ended in 2021.  Production on all three was slowed/stopped in favor of full size pick ups and SUVs for much of 2021.  New 2020 Ford Fusions were available for sale well into 2021.  Stellantis has committed to the Charger through 2023.  The manufacturers announce things so far in the future now (to manipulate stock prices IMHO) that it can take a year or more for reality to catch up to what's announced.

427heaven

• View Profile
It cant be that difficult to figure out, that people want a cost effective vehicle that runs long and strong with great gas milage and minimal repairs as the years go by.. Toyota and Honda have been doing this for the last 50 years. The faithful are tired of paying 40k, for a 5 year throw away vehicle myself included. It has been a game of catch up over the last few decades. My allegiance to Ford motor company over the last 60 years has been unwavering. I have had family in Management since the Ferrari- Ford war campaign- Sad really.