News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Only 116 K code Convertibles Made in 1966 ???

Started by mgreene, May 09, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgreene

In the cars for sale section, this is information provided on the '66 K code convertible for sale. With no Marti Reports, where would this info come from? Seems very low to me...
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

BGlover67

Check out the '67's to be even more amazed.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

SHELB66

I believe those numbers come from cars that are "accounted for" in the HiPo Registry and not total production.  I don't know that the true production number is really known for '66.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

ITHERTZ

All we know is gross percentages compared to total Mustangs built that year which can be broken down by body style.  We will never know how many K code convertible Mustangs were factory built.  We know the percentages of total Mustangs in '66 that were convertibles, and we know the percentages of total Mustangs built which were K codes.  Same for GT and Pony Interior.  We do not know where these percentages intersect - we can only guess.  That's all it is, though...a guess.

People sometimes ask me how rare my '66 convertible is.  It is a factory K code with factory GT pkg and factory Pony interior.  I have no way of knowing, so I only answer that it's rare enough that I don't have to worry about encountering another one out in the wild. (:

Bob Gaines

Talking about percentages I think it is funny that the Ad description says " I say 99.99% Complete because the original Carpet is gone."  and later in the ad - "The car is pretty much 100% complete. the only thing I can tell its missing is the old carpet and the driver GT fender emblem.". Now look at the pictures and see if the ad is inaccurate with the percentages in this case given all of the pictures . Here is a link to the pictures  https://imageshack.com/a/yeXl/1 . How many K code and regular assemblyline Mustang items do others see missing that may skew the percentages off the 100% or even the 99.9% that the seller claims. The K code convertible percentage may be accurate but the originality percentage seems not to be. I know it is silly to fuss over percentages but it gets too me a little that some clueless seller would think that he could post on THIS forum what with the collective brain trust and think no one would notice  ::) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mgreene

Quote from: SHELB66 on May 09, 2018, 10:26:59 AM
I believe those numbers come from cars that are "accounted for" in the HiPo Registry and not total production.  I don't know that the true production number is really known for '66.

Craig R.

You're correct. If it was total production, then the number of '67s listed would match the known total, which is does not.
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

KR Convertible

I have my doubts about it being a factory GT or original paint.  It appears to have stick on letters on the bottom of the fenders and no "PIO" on the buck tag.  Certainly a rare car, but...

sg66

66 Hipo vert is rare and in this case, it looks like most of the factory Hipo drivetrain remains even though a replacement radiator was added at some time. I also don't ever recall seeing a NJ factory GT without PIO on the buck tag. As others have stated, the number of 65 and 66 K and/or GT cars built by Ford will never be known

papa scoops

just at a glance, the lf fender has been replaces, no holes for the gt emblem, been hit HARD in the lf, note the buckles in the lf front of door jamb below dash,look at the lf door gap with door closed (from the rf door opening, you see daylight) l door issues, blue overspray on the upper door glass seal, red overspray and masking on the data tag, l 1/4 full of bondo looks like from rust repair front of wheel, has had more recent undercoating to hide the rust, look at the cleaner stuff. every part of the interior needs replaced all of the stainless is pitted, seats and door panels all brittle and moldy, this thing as so much rust on the outer panels, inner panels and center panel that it would be unsafe. have no idea what is being asked, but you might salvage the hood and deck lid. 2k tops. you are cheaper building a new one from dynacorn. phred

69gt500

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 09, 2018, 10:01:29 AM
Check out the '67's to be even more amazed.

Cannot speak for the other years but Marti states that 319 fastbacks were produced in 1967 with 289 HiPo engines. 205 came with 4-speed transmissions.

J_Speegle

The numbers or percentage of total production people often quote came from the Mustangs Does it published back in the 80's if I recall correctly. No source for those percentage (as far as I've been able to find) was stated nor confirmed
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge