Author Topic: 68 KR sequential turn signals  (Read 1900 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
68 KR sequential turn signals
« on: December 17, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »
Can anyone advise on what the voltage should be for the inner, middle and outer bulbs, as I'm trying to troubleshoot my sequential signals and emergency flashers? My voltage at the turn signal flasher is 11.4 volts. Battery is 12.6 volts. Readings at the emergency flasher sockets are as follows:

inner bulbs 10.0 volts flashing
middle bulb 8.0 volts flashing
outer bulb 6.0 volts flashing

Checked my ground and cleaned all the taillight sockets with a Dremel and wire wheel, so the connections are good. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 KR sequential turn signals
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 09:57:16 AM »
OK 68 owners, does your sequential signals work well if the car is not running? Is there a large voltage drop through the "dynamite sticks"? I'm thinking my problem is because I have been unable to check the sequential signals with the car running. My car is currently not running, as I updated to a new tachometer and have had an issue with connections and operation with an MSD 6AL box. With the factory tach, I had to run a tach adapter and it appears the new tach can plug directly into the MSD box without the adapter.

I'm now hoping that once the car is running, the alternator will provide the additional voltage to the outboard lights to properly sequence?

Don
gt350bp

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »
Yes... probably. I added a short ground from the housing to the decklid bumpers underneath where the nuts are and that helped a lot. Proper flashers and grounds are critical .

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
Check the voltage with either the engine running or a battery charger on it. Just key on will have too low voltages, and the system will not work correctly. You must have full voltage. Also remember that the voltage drops .7 volts across each bulb, and .7 volts across each SCR in the dynamite sticks, so by the time the outer bulb lights, the voltage is down, so a dim result. Proper, slower flasher too. Many alternatives there as well.

There are many threads on this subject, and a few of us who know these systems. (I am one). Do the research.

Proper voltage and grounds, clean solid connections, followed by an oxidized/worn turn signal switch are usually the culprits.

Dan
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 11:35:39 AM by Cobrask8 »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »
Thank you for the input. I've been gaining on the problem and believe once I can get the car running, my flasher and turn signals will work as intended. Appreciate the help!

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:41:25 AM »
An update on the sequential signals and LEED bulbs is that the signals work as intended as long as the car is running. All bulbs flash bright, but when the emergency flashers are turned on without the car running, only the two inboard lights flash. When using the original dynamite sticks with red LEED bulbs, I had to replace the turn and emergency flashers with AR-5 electronic flashers, since the LEED bulbs do not draw enough current.

Many thanks to Vic Yarberry at Cougars Unlimited for help with the flashers and red LEED bulbs.

Don
gt350bp
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 05:54:35 PM by gt350bp »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 06:01:10 PM »
Shake down run in the neighborhood today to test the new power brake vacuum pump, electronic tach and LEED sequential turn signals. Has a really bad bog, so I readjusted the accelerator pump and changed the cam for more initial fuel. Will try again tomorrow to see if the adjustments are going in the right direction.

Don
gt350bp

rsmith

• 1968 GT350 Conv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 06:23:10 PM »
I reworked mine several months ago, as the previous owner had ripped out everything in an attempt to wire them to work sequential-less. I almost went crazy before I found that the motor needs to be running for them to work properly. At least mine, anyway. Makes no sense to me but it works!

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 06:47:36 PM »
Yup. Mine work fine with the engine running. Alternator puts out more voltage than the batteries 12.6 volts.

Don
gt350bp