The Official SAAC Forum
December 17, 2017, 04:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original GT-350 suspension development question  (Read 1479 times)
Cobrask8
SAAC Nat'l Coordinator of Regions

Email
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »

First off, this is a curiosity question about something I heard, so no verbal brickbats, flame-throwers, or harsh comments!  Head knock

While at the annual Mustang Clubs breakfast and 2013 Boss 302 Unveil at the Philadelphia Auto show earlier this year, the guest speaker was Lee Holman Jr. Great talk and historical presentation of Holman-Moody's start, projects, and successes. One of his subjects was about the Falcon's European Rallye success, the development of thier suspensions and hardware, and how they transferred it onto thier Mustangs used for the European rallyes. All good so far. His next comments were about once H-M fully had developed the cars suspension designs and pieces and had great success, the cars were then given to Shelby American to use as the starting point for the GT-350 project, and much of the car's chassis and driveline was based on the H-M work. This, of course, runs counter to what is normally presented and written about Shelby's crew developing the whole package as far as I remember.

So, did I hear wrong, Do I just have my facts wrong, or has some information either been hidden, or someone is not reciting facts correctly?

I'm curious, and would like to just have my curiosity satisfied. I mean no dis-respect to anybody, any owner, any knowlegable person, and expert, and author, or any body who visits this site. (gotta put in some sort of disclaimer!)

Official Home of CHEPSK8 RACING TEAM

Cobrask8

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »

Wanting to be sure I had at least a few of my facts and historical data correct, I dug into the 1997 Shelby Registry, and on P356, 2nd Paragraph, a "a pair of Mustang Notchbacks" are mentioned. Any correlation, or just coincidence?

shlby66

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »

I think those were the 2 notchbacks, that were sent to SAI, from Alan Mann Racing, in England.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »

I think Lee Holman Jr's comments are just a little on the bias side. I have read and heard that same speech before many times from him and although I think the Holman family made great contributions I take what Lee Holman Jr says with a grain of salt. Kind of like the way if you read in any of the British books about AC and the Cobra that many will put a spin on the story to where SA was of little consiquence in the making of the car. It's the same kind of thing.Just my opinion.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
gt350hr

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »

+1 Bob,
       Klaus Arning was generally involved and credited for all of the GT350 suspension developement ( along with the SAI boys, Cantwell , miles et al)in period books. I'm not saying HM didn't test , develope and manufacture, but they had help from Ford too. When I was at H&M in '77 they had a wire basket (gimble sized) with about 100 (very dusty) '65-66 GT350 idler arms. I bought 10 for $5 ea. Pitman arms were there too, so they did have the parts there.
      Randy

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Cobrask8

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:55:31 PM »

All what I had thought too. Just curious why Lee would mention H-M's part. All I can guess is that indeed the coupes mentioned were those cars, but SAI did evaluate but persued thier own program.

Thanks for your input guys!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!