The Official SAAC Forum
October 30, 2014, 07:23:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 70 gt500 windshield date code?  (Read 526 times)
BUILDER 2

Email
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »

what date code should i expect to find in a 70 gt 500 build date 2/28/69? also looking for a left rear original fb quarter extension. thanks in advance

BUILDER 2

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:28 AM »

anybody? would like to order a new one today and want to get it right. thanks

sportyworty

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »

I have seen original glass 4 months prior to build. Mid Jan would likely be a good choice if picking one out of the sky. You could look at the other glass on the car if original and slot your choice in between somewhere as to avoid the new glass being the the inside or outside date of the theme.

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »

I have seen original glass 4 months prior to build. Mid Jan would likely be a good choice if picking one out of the sky. You could look at the other glass on the car if original and slot your choice in between somewhere as to avoid the new glass being the the inside or outside date of the theme.

+1

Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
ed meyer

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »

9a  8m   or any thing a month or more before car was build as they go by year & month only on glass & i have checked date codes on a low mile car once & there are 6 different pieces of glass & 1 piece was dated 4 monthes before the others with the rest all dated together. people put to much thought in date codes not realizing the way stock gets rotated around & new shippment just arriving & going to front of line, strikes,weather & shipping problems, storage & short ordering. Just make sure all date codes are before car build within reason. I remember reading shelby company meeting notes saying 100 or so 69 shelbys build in feb. not having ss spares in them & they were going to have to ship tires to new owners.

sportyworty

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »

year monthy only thanks for correction Ed more coffee please.

BUILDER 2

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »

i would check the other glass but it is all missing! lol  long story thanks guys for your input. would the date code be affected by the 70 dash plate. possible broken windshield with a later date code?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »

i would check the other glass but it is all missing! lol  long story thanks guys for your input. would the date code be affected by the 70 dash plate. possible broken windshield with a later date code?
  It would have to be a date code appropriate for the time period when the 70 Shelby conversion was being done for it to be even plausible. Within the realm of possibility but awfully thin IMO.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
BUILDER 2

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »

HEY BOB, AM I CORRECT TO ASSUME THE WINDSHIELDS WERE PULLED OUT? I COULD SEE REUSING THE GLASS IF IT DID'NT BREAK. OR AM I ON THE WRONG PATH?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »

HEY BOB, AM I CORRECT TO ASSUME THE WINDSHIELDS WERE PULLED OUT? I COULD SEE REUSING THE GLASS IF IT DID'NT BREAK. OR AM I ON THE WRONG PATH?
I haven't seen any photos of that part of the process. I am not sure they were all taken but with that said given that they were riveted in I can't think of a way you could do it with the windshield in. What a royal pain that must have been . For me installing a 69 windshield or plumbing is on my sh$t list of hated things to do Head knock. You would want to be careful not to put a glass in that was dated after the time the car was converted at KK for it to be a plausible scenario.Ed might have some more insight as he has studied the KK process extensively.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:18:18 PM by Bob Gaines » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!