The Official SAAC Forum
October 23, 2014, 04:43:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front grill color  (Read 1816 times)
kevinsr

Email
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

Does anyone know the proper paint color for 70 gt500 front grill?
Thanks Kevin

red4spd

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »

You may  want to check out Comfort Car Connection .Com   check out articles detailing a 1969 conv.  the best. 

mrmustang
SAAC Ad-Master
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

You may  want to check out Comfort Car Connection .Com   check out articles detailing a 1969 conv.  the best. 

Direct link to article here  Chug a Lug

http://www.comfortcarconnection.com/articles/pwt/pwt000.html

But who is that "Gaines" guy they keep referencing  Hysterical

Bill S.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
69 GT500 #1584 Grabber Orange W/White interior
Bob Gaines

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »

Does anyone know the proper paint color for 70 gt500 front grill?
Thanks Kevin
There is a actual formula for the grill gray but when compare to the 1970 Mach I rocker moulding gray (which is easier to match) there is hardly a distinguishable difference. 

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
ed meyer

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »

I disagree with Mr Gaines (imagine that) on how the 69 shelby grill area was painted. From my research of unmolested cars the grill was painted separately from headlite buckets & stoneguard. It was installed last after headlite bulbs were installed then grill & then headlite rings. The headlite ring screws, bottom & top grill bolts & hardware are black oxide phos & no grey paint & that is why they often have surface rust on them. The 2 holes on top ends of grill bar are slotted for adjustment after fenders & hood are installed & the 2 top bar screws have teeth on bottom slip washer bolt to lock in place last after grill was alignened. Look up under your headlite buckets & see scratches in grey paint overspray from sharpe ends of wire cut of top grill when slid in place above headlite rings & then 3 screws in rings installed last. Mongo has paint formula # for grill area but you may have to trade a NUMBER for paint #.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »

I disagree with Mr Gaines (imagine that) on how the 69 shelby grill area was painted. From my research of unmolested cars the grill was painted separately from headlite buckets & stoneguard. It was installed last after headlite bulbs were installed then grill & then headlite rings. The headlite ring screws, bottom & top grill bolts & hardware are black oxide phos & no grey paint & that is why they often have surface rust on them. The 2 holes on top ends of grill bar are slotted for adjustment after fenders & hood are installed & the 2 top bar screws have teeth on bottom slip washer bolt to lock in place last after grill was alignened. Look up under your headlite buckets & see scratches in grey paint overspray from sharpe ends of wire cut of top grill when slid in place above headlite rings & then 3 screws in rings installed last. Mongo has paint formula # for grill area but you may have to trade a NUMBER for paint #.
I knew this was coming   Roll Eyes . You forget to mention the witness cross hatch design that is seen on numerious headlight bucket where the grill lays over . It is as if that headlight bucket area is painted and then after the grill is installed given another shot of paint to maybe cover any scratching etc. That is the most likely explanation for the witness line since the grill mesh is not close enough to seal and protect the surface from paint oxidation etc. or aging form the elements like I have heard some people suggest as the reason for the pattern  Head knock .  I agree the grill may have been painted off the car but I do believe another shot of paint was applied for some reason hence the wtness lines. I had relaid this to David but wasn't given a chance to proof read the article back then.  That has never happen to you Ed has it?Huh? That was written some years ago.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:41:36 PM by Bob Gaines » Logged

ed meyer

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:51:37 AM »

It would be faster on the line to paint grill off car than to paint grill already installed in car & trying to tape it off & not get overspray on body color. The wire mesh shadow on headlite buckets may be from someone touching up grill years later & not taking grill out or simply sunlight over time fading out area around headlite bucket face area exposed & wire mesh protecting area behind it that isnot exposed. Remember we are talking about 2 different items here fiberglass & metal grill & metal attracks more heat & we all know grey & silver paint never holds up very well exposed to heat & sunlight. Explain why there is grey paint on top of grill bar under 2 washers that are attached to the 2 grill holddown screws on top ends & all other grill hardware is phos & headlight ring installed last. I just sent you a photo to post of scratches left on top headlight buckets from grill being install after painted grey. They would not bother to paint grill twice & waste time taping off front end to keep overspray off body after grill installed.

kevinsr

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »

Thanks Guys you have been very helpful as well as entertaining.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »

It would be faster on the line to paint grill off car than to paint grill already installed in car & trying to tape it off & not get overspray on body color. The wire mesh shadow on headlite buckets may be from someone touching up grill years later & not taking grill out or simply sunlight over time fading out area around headlite bucket face area exposed & wire mesh protecting area behind it that isnot exposed. Remember we are talking about 2 different items here fiberglass & metal grill & metal attracks more heat & we all know grey & silver paint never holds up very well exposed to heat & sunlight. Explain why there is grey paint on top of grill bar under 2 washers that are attached to the 2 grill holddown screws on top ends & all other grill hardware is phos & headlight ring installed last. I just sent you a photo to post of scratches left on top headlight buckets from grill being install after painted grey. They would not bother to paint grill twice & waste time taping off front end to keep overspray off body after grill installed.
Ed as we discussed MANY times before the witness line is seen on numerious original untouched headlight buckets .The grill mesh is not tight enough to the surface of the fiberglass to allow significant shading from the sun or protect the surface from the elements which would account for the witness line pattern in your theory .  I usually go along with you ( just because It is easier to agree with you  Hysterical ) . Maybe it was done if too many scratches occurred from the sharp edges as the grill mesh was installed . You admitted as much Wink .  In this case the debate goes on  Chug a Lug .

htesystems

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »

Would the hood pin retainer brackets be painted black or the grill grey ?
Also if I read that article correctly the supports that connect from the fire wall to the shock towers should those be black or slop grey, my car was definitly black also the shock towers were black I noticed the article said they are usually grey ?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

Would the hood pin retainer brackets be painted black or the grill grey ?
Also if I read that article correctly the supports that connect from the fire wall to the shock towers should those be black or slop grey, my car was definitly black also the shock towers were black I noticed the article said they are usually grey ?
The hood pin brackets are black. The braces from the shock tower to the firewall are the slop gray. I am not sure what specific part you are refering to by "the shock tower were black". If by chance you are refering to the upper shock brackets with the washers welded on,they are supposed to be black too.

htesystems

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »

Correct my error the brackets that hold the shocks are black with a green paint dab.
However were all braces slop grey ? the ones I removed were black, this is a early car if it matters.
also I had a rubber type of wire wrap that was holding up the conv top wire, under that was also black and that was on from day one.
joe

Bob Gaines

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

Correct my error the brackets that hold the shocks are black with a green paint dab.
However were all braces slop grey ? the ones I removed were black, this is a early car if it matters.
also I had a rubber type of wire wrap that was holding up the conv top wire, under that was also black and that was on from day one.
joe
Joe ,the slop grey ranges in shades. Some shades are very dark and is the reason why many parts like the battery box braces etc. got painted a black by mistake during restorations. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the part was not replaced or modified by someone else and did get painted a black originally instead of the various slop gray shades . It is possible just not typical example. You might try putting some water on the part which sometimes helps bring out the true color. If it is black instead the typical various shades of slop gray you can choose to document color of the part with photos with the strap still attached etc. to show the context in which it was found to show others what you see. Be ready to show the documentation every single time someone questions it. If you don't care about what people think then of course you don't have to go through all of that and just do it the way you want and forget it. I guess you could also choose to paint the part a shade of the more conventional slop gray tones and not go through the other ether. It is your car you decide.  Chug a Lug

htesystems

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 07:03:05 PM »

Bob
As I look more and more  it could be a very dark grey, here is a picture if you can see it

Joe

* shelby resto 001.jpg (8.09 KB, 800x600 - viewed 61 times.)
ed meyer

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »

That is batch paint on braces & not black as you can see color shade change The wire clip on rh shock tower is that a plastic thin type? Look under rh shock tower brace backside of tower looks like red 2 grease pencil mark i always see there? Bob years ago i remember seeing photo you are talking about wire mesh lines left on headlite bucket but dont remember who took photo or where photo came from but that was YEARS ago & we are supposed to be going forward not backward & we now have more docs than ever. Look at photos i sent you & you never answered the ? why grill hardware isnot painted gray if grill was painted in car as i have been watching out for this several years now & everytime i see original cars its that way & its makes more sense that is best way to do it. Have jason post photos of grill area on yellow car that he just did as i was at his shop when car was taken apart & we shot many pictures because that car was very original & never apart. Your debate may go on but my vote has been decided long ago.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:43:05 PM by ed meyer » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!