News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Just business or shady dealing?

Started by cutter, April 29, 2018, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter

Found a KR for sale by owner, owner then must have been contacted by a classic car dealer ( I won't mention the name just yet) car then mysteriously re appears for 30K more......I'm just writing it off as bad management by owner,,,,at least be sure your ad is removed before its jacked up 30 grand...smh...

Stubee

That has happened in the past to me. When I brought it to the attention of the dealership they shrugged it off and said that's business.

I made a fair offer on the car and kept looking elsewhere. I found a nicer car and got it at a high but fair price.

I guess the satisfaction came a few days later when the original shady dealership called wanting to talk price..I guess everyone else was on to the racket... I told him I bought another car already.

I never looked back. Karma as they say is well..

Stubee

cutter

I understand its fair market, but he just doesn't sit right...the owner and the dealer, but it is what it is...Karma....like you said....

You can make your best offer with a 7 day (or something) expiration date and move on to the next car.

Seller might come back to you after reading that date, but drop the offer # a bit lower if it was after the expiration date.

Stubee

Make an offer you are happy with and wait it out.
Somehow, someway it will all work out as it should.

There are so many beautiful cars out there with nice owners. For me that is all part of the Shelby experience. Getting taken on a car would forever ruin it for me and take the enjoyment out of owning the car.

People have treated me the way Carroll would have wanted and I do the same. Walk away from the others.

Might seem a little to idealistic, but kindness and fairness go along ways with me.

I hope you find that right car for you.

OK back to my dreamcar hunt..1967 white GT 500...1968 Acapulco Blue GT 500 KR convertible.. and nice owners.

Stubee

Sometimes you gotta strike when the irons hot too...I vividly remember my Dad looking at a beautiful Benz 280 se 3.5...Guy wanted  8k...Pops hemmed and hawed and when he got back to the guy he had talked to a Mercedes club guy and the price had doubled...No sale....He'll the first Shelby I seriously looked at in 81 which was a 68 kr,I wasn't quick enough...Guy wanted 5500,I made a firm offer of 4800 and went away for the weekend and by the time I came back it was sold for full price...Strangely enough lagging actually worked for me on the car I ended up with...I went for a week vacation on Oahu and asked my Mom to clip any Shelby ads in the local papers while I was gone..Came home to an ad in the local recycler for a 67 got 500 for 6500..However the ad wasn't in the current issue when I got home so I assumed it was sold ...Dear old Mom convinced me to call the number anyways and Bingo the car was still available as the deal had fallen through....6k later my life was changed forever....Booyah!!!

cutter

It was a situation where I just stumbled across the owners ad, and then he said it was a a dealers location for storage..yeah right...with a 30K price difference,,,,its all good, what is meant to be is meant to be...things happen for a reason and its good, I hope the seller ( a doctor) gets what he was promised from this "dealer" :-X

tesgt350

Quote from: cutter on April 29, 2018, 05:44:14 PM
Found a KR for sale by owner, owner then must have been contacted by a classic car dealer ( I won't mention the name just yet) car then mysteriously re appears for 30K more......I'm just writing it off as bad management by owner,,,,at least be sure your ad is removed before its jacked up 30 grand...smh...

Just Business................... You should have pulled the Trigger on it when you had the chance. 

stangman39

I guess I don't understand the OP.
Does the original owner still have the car for sale or has he now consigned it to a dealer...or did the dealer "steal" the ad and pics and marked it up $30K?

tesgt350

Quote from: stangman39 on April 30, 2018, 11:04:31 AM
Does the original owner still have the car for sale or has he now consigned it to a dealer...or did the dealer "steal" the ad and pics and marked it up $30K?

It sounds like someone told the seller that he needs to raise the Price by at least $30K so the owner took down the Ad and reposted it with a higher Price.

stangman39

Quote from: tesgt350 on April 30, 2018, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: stangman39 on April 30, 2018, 11:04:31 AM

It sounds like someone told the seller that he needs to raise the Price by at least $30K so the owner took down the Ad and reposted it with a higher Price.

Oh I gotcha.  I had similar happen before when I tell someone I'll give them their asking price and they respond saying "the price has gone up, I had it too low!"
Or I love when I agree to buy and work out all the logistics and get a text or email later in the day saying the car has been sold since someone showed up with cash!  Happened just yesterday.
I've had many good people keep their word but have had my fair share of a verbal agreement meaning nothing.  Often the people who don't keep their word want cash or certified check and don't want to even consider a fast deposit to hold the car etc.

When ready to pull the trigger go to bank with seller,title and car...Give em cash get title signed and bye, bye..done...

stangman39

Quote from: 557 on April 30, 2018, 12:19:53 PM
When ready to pull the trigger go to bank with seller,title and car...Give em cash get title signed and bye, bye..done...

In a perfect world sure.  Not always easy when the car is hundreds of miles away.

Quote from: stangman39 on April 30, 2018, 11:45:40 AM
Often the people who don't keep their word want cash or certified check and don't want to even consider a fast deposit to hold the car etc.

Have fun getting 6 figures of cash out of the bank.

BTW, I believe both deposits and withdrawls of $10K or more automatically get reported to the IRS.

stangman39

Quote from: 2112 on April 30, 2018, 01:16:33 PM
Quote from: stangman39 on April 30, 2018, 11:45:40 AM
Often the people who don't keep their word want cash or certified check and don't want to even consider a fast deposit to hold the car etc.

Have fun getting 6 figures of cash out of the bank.

BTW, I believe both deposits and withdrawls of $10K or more automatically get reported to the IRS.

Correct about deposits and withdrawals