News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct flasher for 1968 GT350

Started by Corey Bowcutt, April 26, 2018, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I am troubleshooting my tail light issues and want to eliminate as much as I can.  I removed the flasher tonight and took some pictures.  I would like to know if this is correct for my car.  I know it has to be a long delay flasher to allow for the sequential lights. The writing I see on it is HD-12 Flasher 12 Volts, 426, S.A.E 1945 (maybe it is hard to see the first two digits could be 1845?).

I tried posting pictures but can not get it to work.

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Peter I just purchased the one in the link you supplied.

Shelby68GT500

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 26, 2018, 09:24:22 PM
You need a #323 it is the only flasher used for a six bulb application

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323-FLASHER-OEM-MOPAR-JEEP-12V-3-LAMP-WAGNER-HEAVY-DUTY-MADE-IN-USA/173094684980?epid=529995473&hash=item284d3f4934:g:fgcAAOSwXzNaWUhX&vxp=mtr

Hey Peter, I recently converted my tailight bulbs from 1157s to plasma LEDs.  Incredibly bright, but can't seem to get the outside lights to illuminate for more than just a blip (if even that) when turn signals on.  Brakes and everything else works fine.  Have been playing around with a number of different flashers, including one I modified with a larger capacitor.  My 323 doesn't work at all (but it is old), electronic one (90650) with external ground wire and a 552 both seem to work except for the outside lamps only blipping.  Wondering if my dynamite sticks might be feeling their age?  They are probably 15 years old at least.
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

Coralsnake

I have no idea. The system was not designed for LEDs. So, you are on your own....

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Shelby68GT500

Chris, I wish!  The inside 2 flash like that, but the outside ones just flash for a microsecond.
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

mr68shelby

My brother's car had trouble for years. After replacing all the wiring for the tail lights from the dash back, including new dynamite sticks, they worked perfect with 1157 bulbs. We tried the LED bulbs and they did not work properly. Put the 1157's back in and no problems. I'm almost positive his car has the electronic flasher. I think the dynamite sticks don't like the LED's.

Through the years, we had added ground wires to the bulbs, replaced dynamite sticks, flashers etc. Still did not flash properly. And the outer bulb very short blink was one of the problems. When we were replacing all the wiring, we did one thing at the time out of curiosity to try to figure out what the probably 15+ year old problem was. When we replaced the wiring from under the dash to the trunk, the problem was cured.

Hope this helps. Mike

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

papa scoops

cougar flash unit was different. Shelby used dinomite sticks. the cougar unit was much better, but my shelby still has original working stuff. phred

propayne

I thought so -

The videos I posted are about some new LED Plasma tail light bulbs that WCCC carries.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Rich_G_SC

I was having a problem with 1157's too. Inboard 1 & 2 were fine but outboard 3 would barely flicker. Ran a ground all the way from battery to the rear harness and no change so I think it is either a dynamite stick or steering column switch problem. I bought an electronic flasher but that didn't help. Wound up trying the adjustable Scott Drake flasher from CJ Pony Parts and now 3rd/outboard light works. I had to slow down the timer considerably so I do think it is probably just masking another problem but it works now.  :D

Coralsnake

The most common problems are often overlooked or ignored

Incorrect flasher under dash

Incorrect parts (trying to use LEDs or electronics)

Bad grounds or connections

Bad turn signal switch in steering column

The dynamite sticks should be in a cardboard tube with a plug on the end. Here is how Shelby wired the sticks: