News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ignition Switch or Key Cylinder issue

Started by JWH, August 09, 2021, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

This weekend, our '66 started just fine. But when I went to turn off the engine, the key would not return to the "off" position. Another way of saying this is the key would rotate to the start and run position but then was locked out from returning to the "off" position. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction - is this a problem with the ignition switch behind the dash? Or with the key cylinder inside the ignition switch?
          I was able to stick a paper clip into the hole and by first twisting clockwise and pushing in on the cylinder, I could then get the key to rotate counter clockwise and remove the cylinder. Thanks for any tips on diagnosis and repair.
Jeff

KR Convertible

If you have the cylinder out you can use a screwdriver to operate the ignition switch.  See if it works freely.

trotrof1

I had the same issue a few years ago. Ended up being the electrical switch. I replaced it with a Motorcraft unit and havent had any problems since.

JWH

Thank you for the replies. Trotrof1, your solution worked in this situation also. I was able to remove the ignition switch from behind the dash and replace. The key now twists to the "Start" position and fires up the engine and just as important, the key twists to the "off" position and the engine shuts down.

I did try and locate a Motorcraft switch and looked at every major auto parts website and eBay and Amazon and could not turn up anything. So I elected to head to NAPA and went with an Echlin ignition switch (I have had very good luck with Echlin points and other ignition parts over the years).

The old ignition switch has the FoMoCo logo and possibly could have been the original that the car was built with (?) photo attached.

deathsled

Can your FoMoCo switch be rebuilt to put back in at a later date or are they a throw away item?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on August 10, 2021, 04:15:59 AM
Can your FoMoCo switch be rebuilt to put back in at a later date or are they a throw away item?
It could be but I have never heard of anyone doing it. If you were in Cuba you might have to but here there are so many other alternatives in the US new and used that it is not worth the effort.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

I would be happy to mail what is left of the FoMoCo switch to anyone who would like to try and rebuild. Just cover the cost of the ride ($10?) The switch is all in pieces but the casing appears to be in decent shape as pictured. As Bob points out though, for $20 you can get a brand new Echlin switch and it is up under the dash and very difficult to see.
Jeff

trotrof1

Just a FYI , looks like Stilwells Obsolete has a nos switch listed on ebay for $119.