The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 08:19:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When is listing "For Sale" Shelbys without the vin going to stop?  (Read 16318 times)
A-Snake

CSX2321

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

I think the Shelby VIN since it is already accessible is a non issue. When a owner is trying to sell something the loss of privacy in that respect is one of the costs of doing business IMO. There is just as much if not more reason for a buyer to have the discussed Shelby VIN info so that it can be cross checked for legitimacy before sinking time and effort only to find out a problem or be pushed into make a quick decision not based on all the facts at the big reveal. Auction or private sale wise.  It also helps keeps track of how many times a particular hot potato is peddled  Wink . Just a couple of my thoughts on the subject. Bob

+1
 Personally I would not contact a seller if the Shelby # is not listed. IMO, some brokers leave the number out of the ad in hopes that they will be contacted by a potential buyer when in fact they are not 'really' representing that car. Fishing is a word that comes to mind ;-)

sfm6s1506

sfm6s1506

jlewis1329@aol.com
Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »

+ one Bob, very well put. In my searches when I have to pry the Vin's from sellers it really makes me think twice with doing business with them. If there's nothing to hide then should not be a problem..

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »

Does anyone remember years ago when the Snakebite came out?

You had to advertise your complete home address as well as the VIN...!

So you are saying by not listing car number nobody knows who you are ?  Really  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Im not saying give out ford vin on  65-67 cars.

But the car number

capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »

I've never refused to give out a car number....

However, I just don't advertised the VIN's as freely as I once did.

The VIN should be between the buyer and seller.  I can understand the buyer doing his due diligence and inquiring about the VIN.  It's always available.

It's just not floating around cyberspace as rapidly as some would like it to be...

If I'm out voted here I'll reconsider my position.
If SAAC changes it's forum rules I'll reconsider.

But as of right now the VIN of your car is between you and SAAC...(IMHO)

Bret

Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »

Well put Bob.  Better stated than I said.  I never mentioned posting the Ford vin.  The Shelby Vin is another matter.

capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »

I think we're drifting in the wrong direction.

Many people advertise their Shelby's without given the VIN in the advertisemnt.
When you call them just about everyone volunteers the VIN to potential buyers.   I see nothing nothing wrong with this practice.
If they refuse to disclose the VIN then I'd be suspicious.

I would not be suspicious of the authenticity of an automobile because the seller decided against given his VIN in the advertisement.

I've never really had to "pry" a VIN from a seller.  However, maybe he needs to know I'm sincere about a purchase and most of the time it starts with a phone call.
Not everyone is a member of SAAC and not everyone wants their VIN advertised.

Bret

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:45:26 AM by shelbymustang.com » Logged
capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

Oddly enough...

Some people in the Shelby world feel MORE secure letting everyone know what they own...

Other people in the Shelby world feel LESS secure letting everyone know what they own.

There's good reasons on both sides.............

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:59:08 AM by shelbymustang.com » Logged
Bob Gaines

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »

Oddly enough...

Some people in the Shelby world feel MORE secure letting everyone know what they own...

Other people in the Shelby world feel LESS secure letting everyone know what they own.

There's good reasons on both sides.............

We are drifting off point with this post I think. We are talking about "For Sale " cars only . The ownership issue is a subject for a different thread IMHO. Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »

If SAAC changes it's forum rules I'll reconsider.

But as of right now the VIN of your car is between you and SAAC...(IMHO)

Bret

SAAC does not require the Ford VIN be posted here in public for reasons stated above.
SAAC does prefer that the Shelby number be posted in your ads on the forum (IE: SFM6xxxx).
SAAC normally requires that the VIN be posted in the Memberslodge classified section (where there are 10X more cars posted for sale), however, under extreme circumstances (ex wives  Shocked, ex husbands  Roll Eyes , black helicopters hovering overhead  Hysterical ) we let that slide on occasion.

Bill S.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
Rick Kopec
SAAC Director

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

Does anyone remember years ago when the Snakebite came out?

You had to advertise your complete home address as well as the VIN...!

The reason why we required names and addresses in Snakebite ads was to deter fraud. Because the Snakebites were mailed via the USPS, if someone advertised a bogus car the federal mail fraud statutes could be used against them—because the U.S. mail was involved (to get the publication to the buyer and seller). The first step was to contact the local postmaster (of the advertiser) and make them aware a fraud was being perpetuated. Because the cars were valuable enough, an investigation was usually begun. We instituted this a few times with favorable results. A knock on the door from a postal inspector will cause an ad to be pulled very quickly. The federal government carries some weight and most slimeballs know better than to mess with it.

Once email became the predominate form of communication, postal addresses were no longer necessary and people stopped giving them in ads. Before very long everyone was using emails and by then the Snakebite had been eliminated, replaced by the website/forum because ads could be posted immediately.

Before Mustangs began to be faked, advertisers didn't think twice about providing their car's Shelby AND Ford VIN in a classified ad. It proved the car was not a fake—although this was specious thinking because only a registrar would have enough Ford VINs to know that. We began making it a point NOT to publish Ford VINs in ads (even if the seller included it). We treated a Ford VIN as proprietary information between the owner and the registrar. To the point where we advised sellers NOT to give potential buyers the Ford VIN. We told them that if a buyer had a question to refer them to the registrar. The registrar would confirm that the VINs matched but would not give out the Ford VIN. That's the policy now and it works. There are very few Ford VINs circulating out there and that helps everyone.

The people in the cheap seats always boo the loudest.
stickshift

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »

, black helicopters hovering overhead  Hysterical ) we let that slide on occasion.

Bill S.

They mostly come at night, but you can hear them coming for miles. Don't worry. Only the trouble makers disappear.
Shssh! Listen. Can you hear them?  Shocked

Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 02:29:41 AM »

They mostly come at night, but you can hear them coming for miles. Don't worry. Only the trouble makers disappear.

Cleary you are delusional. as the helicopters I was speaking of are whisper silent  Shocked

Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »

I can hear them.

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

I can hear them.

That certainly explains a lot  Hysterical

stickshift

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »

Cleary you are delusional. as the helicopters I was speaking of are whisper silent  Shocked

Hummm...I never noticed that before? You can't see them (at night) and you can't hear them? OK, now I know why personnel disappeared after they...didn't come. Check, got it Wink They were never there. Yes Sir. Must have been the fumes from the officers quarters?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!