The Official SAAC Forum
December 12, 2017, 01:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When is listing "For Sale" Shelbys without the vin going to stop?  (Read 16307 times)
Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »

Just browse through our For Sale section.  This never happened with the SnakeBite bulletin......'nuff said

zray

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »

the snakebite still lives over on the members only forum:

http://saac.memberlodge.com/

Z.

Computerworks
Administrator

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »

Just browse through our For Sale section.  This never happened with the SnakeBite bulletin......'nuff said

Members-only classified rules differ from public forums.

You may ask the poster for details in the classified thread, if you wish.

capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »

Roddster:  I made a decision a few years ago about giving out so much personal information about these vehicles.
I've had inquiries via email about Shelby numbers and Ford VIN's.
I've never refused to give a Shelby number however more and more of these cars are in collections.  Many collectors do not wish to have their automobiles published.  And many collectors don't want their names out there either.

The VIN of your car should be between you and the trusted registrars.  Once it get's into cyberspace things change.  Someone can track down the car and then with the help of the registrar the current owner and finally a town where your located.  By me not advertising the VIN it slows things down a little bit.

If SAAC rules made me advertise the VIN then I'd rethink my position on this.

I hope this clears things up!

I was going to email you directly but you're email is "hidden".

Respectfully,
Bret

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:34:44 AM by shelbymustang.com » Logged
Doug C

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »

Roddster:  I made a decision a few years ago about giving out so much personal information about these vehicles.
I've had inquiries via email about Shelby numbers and Ford VIN's.
I've never refused to give a Shelby number however more and more of these cars are in collections.  Many collectors do not wish to have their automobiles published.  And many collectors don't want their names out there either.

The VIN of your car should be between you and the trusted registrars.  Once it get's into cyberspace things change.  Someone can track down the car and then with the help of the registrar the current owner and finally a town where your located.  By me not advertising the VIN it slows things down a little bit.

If SAAC rules made me advertise the VIN then I'd rethink my position on this.

I hope this clears things up!

I was going to email you directly but you're email is "hidden".

Respectfully,
Bret

Totally agree with Bret - I'd rather my Ford VIN number be known by no one but me and that guys at SAAC. 

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 64 Tiger
capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:07:41 PM »

I don't want to be hard to Roddster.  He's one of the real Shelby good guy's out there...

But we're living in a world where's there's way too much personal information available. 

If you use you're imagination you can find out someone's VIN of their $100K car in their garage.  With the help of Facebook, you can determine where they live, their maiden name and name of their kids.
Some people even advertise when their going on vacation.
I don't want to sound extreme but not everyone needs to know everything about you and what you own.

Bret

Daddisgrl

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »

Most of "your" info is out there.. I found it; names; email; car info
I'll have to see if I can find it again. Don't remember what I was googling but was surprised at what I found

flattrack53

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »

I don't want to be hard to Roddster.  He's one of the real Shelby good guy's out there...

But we're living in a world where's there's way too much personal information available. 

If you use you're imagination you can find out someone's VIN of their $100K car in their garage.  With the help of Facebook, you can determine where they live, their maiden name and name of their kids.
Some people even advertise when their going on vacation.
I don't want to sound extreme but not everyone needs to know everything about you and what you own.

Bret

I couldn't agree with you more then this!

rickmustang

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »

I know a guy, who I now call an acquaintance, who obtained VINs registered in each state for specific years of cars through a contact he had in the FBI. Knowing the engine code in a VIN, and early Shelby VIN formats, he was able to contact owners of hemi cars, SD 455 Trans Ams, and Shelbys. He purchased many cars this way. I got a call from him out of the blue asking if I owned a Shelby because he had my VIN and contact info through Texas DMV. Scared me. So your, and your car's, information is out in cyberspace for just about anyone to obtain. My cars are all unregisted now....Beware. Rick

Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:45 AM »

The question becomes: are we here for the Shelbys, and their history, or are we here to have the "collectors" not be bothered?  My car's vin is out there all over the place.  I received 3-4 phone calls about it right after the Muscle Car Review May '09 came out.  My point is that how do you know what folks are trying to sell is legit if the Vin is not required here in the public forum.  Often enough when a car is for sale here, I'll grab the registry just to see what is unique about it.

Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »

The question becomes: are we here for the Shelbys, and their history, or are we here to have the "collectors" not be bothered?  My car's vin is out there all over the place.  I received 3-4 phone calls about it right after the Muscle Car Review May '09 came out.  My point is that how do you know what folks are trying to sell is legit if the Vin is not required here in the public forum.  Often enough when a car is for sale here, I'll grab the registry just to see what is unique about it.

The Ford VIN is rarely given out in public (for those with 65-67 Shelbys) due to unscrupulous people attempt to clone vehicles. (IE: S321 might have Ford VIN 5F03K1XXX01, so a scammer could use 5F03K1XXX02 and call his fake car S322 not logical in nature, but yet, it can and will happen). The Shelby car number suffices in this case with the Ford chassis number used to verify authenticity (by saac registrars) for a cash buyer. They are however supposed to be listed in the saacmemberslodge classifieds, yet I do see a few cars listed without. Emails are going out in an attempt to rectify this.

Bill S.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
Bob Gaines

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »

I think a distinction should be made in the the VIN being discussed is the Shelby VIN and not the Ford VIN on 65-67 cars. The Ford VIN on the 65-67 cars is the one that is strongly suggested to keep private . The Shelby is out there already.  A large percentage of relatively current owner information is already available in the current 65-67 registry. Ford VIN on 65-67 cars there is no question in my mind that it needs to be kept private. Unfortunatly the 68,69/70 don't have that luxury of different VIN. I think the Shelby VIN since it is already accessible is a non issue. When a owner is trying to sell something the loss of privacy in that respect is one of the costs of doing business IMO. There is just as much if not more reason for a buyer to have the discussed Shelby VIN info so that it can be cross checked for legitimacy before sinking time and effort only to find out a problem or be pushed into make a quick decision not based on all the facts at the big reveal. Auction or private sale wise.  It also helps keeps track of how many times a particular hot potato is peddled  Wink . Just a couple of my thoughts on the subject. Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »

I agree that a car number  should be listed

papa scoops

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 08:41:08 AM »

for the 65-67 crowd, i recomend registering the ford vin also. sort of a dual purpose. don't use a home address to register the car. phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 08:49:36 AM »

Does anyone remember years ago when the Snakebite came out?

You had to advertise your complete home address as well as the VIN...!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!