News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

HEH-BX VS. HEH-BT Close ratio Toploader - What are the differences?

Started by 6s1640, August 13, 2021, 03:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S7MS427

Cory,

Certainly one of the benefits of this site is the ability to share knowledge.  Your statement that we are smarter together is spot on.  As for my memory on the HEH-BT, I gathered my information some 20 to 30 years ago.  And of course there is no accounting for inaccuracies in factory documentation.  I do try to be as accurate as possible and hate being wrong.  I apologize for any mistakes and take full responsibility for any that might pop up.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

6s1640

Quote from: S7MS427 on August 15, 2021, 11:10:27 AM
Cory,

Certainly one of the benefits of this site is the ability to share knowledge.  Your statement that we are smarter together is spot on.  As for my memory on the HEH-BT, I gathered my information some 20 to 30 years ago.  And of course there is no accounting for inaccuracies in factory documentation.  I do try to be as accurate as possible and hate being wrong.  I apologize for any mistakes and take full responsibility for any that might pop up.

Hi Roy,

Well, your memory is better than your think.  I called Fred Ballard to discuss the HEH-BT Toploader and he was still certain the tranny was a wide ratio.  From my early post I said I would count teeth.  They are 32 (1st) ,31 (2nd) ,25 (3rd) and 23 (4th).  Which means the HEH-BT is, by the physical evidence, not published information, is a wide ratio.   This now clearly explains the difference between a HEH-BT and HEH-BX.  But this now brings up a similar question:  "Why did Ford drop the HEH-BT and replace with the HEH-BW".  It may have to do with the detent, springs and pins.

My question has now been answered.  I will have to call David Kee and suggest him to revise his ID chart plus email Steve at Perogie and let him know.  Its too late to fix the Ford charts.  Thank you all for the help.

Cory

CharlesTurner

The HEH-T is the '65 K code toploader, which the MPC has the wrong phase out date of late 1964... it was supposed to be late 1965.  There were no -BX transmissions installed in '65 K codes (non-Shelby) afaik.

I had an HEH-BT in a May '65 A code GT convertible.  I'm pretty sure it was a wide ratio.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

OK finally got here.
    BR= wide ratio , narrow pattern - tail shaft housing with "Falcon" linkage casting too.
    BT = wide pattern , wide ratio - "some" tailshaft housings with and later without Falcon linkage casting. For years there has been confusion as it being a "close" but they are WIDE ratio.
    BW = wide ratio - "Improved shift rails/detents" - Mustang only linkage mounting on tail shaft.
    The thing to remember is "whenever" a manufacturing specification changed , the tag or "build code number" HAD to change that way "proper" replacement / service parts could be had.
   "Max" ( 209L and 307L) bearings were NEVER used on assembly line transmissions , period. These were all 1-1/16 input 28 spline. The early 25 spline stuff had different numbers.
  Randy

You guys are making me feel like a walking encyclopedia!

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JD

Quote from: gt350hr on August 16, 2021, 01:35:28 PM
   OK finally got here.
    BR= wide ratio , narrow pattern - tail shaft housing with "Falcon" linkage casting too.
    BT = wide pattern , wide ratio - "some" tailshaft housings with and later without Falcon linkage casting. Gfor years there has been confusion as it being a "close" but they are WIDE ratio.
    BW = wide ratio - "Improved shift rails/detents" - Mustang only linkage mounting on tail shaft.
    The thing to remember is "whenever" a manufacturing specification changed , the tag or "build code number" HAD to change that way "proper" replacement / service parts could be had.
   "Max" ( 209L and 307L) bearings were NEVER used on assembly line transmissions , period.
  Randy

You guys are making me feel like a walking encyclopedia!

Respectfully - You Are!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on August 16, 2021, 03:26:11 PM
   Naw just good retention for the last 55 years.

You can tell those guys in advance. They all have lots of hair.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr