Author Topic: Upper control arm greasing  (Read 1059 times)

sg66

• View Profile
Upper control arm greasing
« on: August 12, 2021, 02:48:07 PM »
When greasing the 4 bushings on a new set of Moog control arms, I can tell 3 of them are full because of back pressure on the grease gun. The 4th just keeps pumping with the grease seeping out the back of the shaft. I called Moog and they said it's normal for the grease to come out but couldn't explain why it only happens for 1 of the 4.

It doesn't sound normal to me and I believe there is a rubber seal in the nut to prevent this so before I go through the hassle of removing the control arm, any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Re: Upper control arm greasing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 04:37:42 PM »
If you felt back pressure on the grease gun I'm surprised you didn't blow out all 4 of them because you're not supposed to pump them that full.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

sg66

• View Profile
Re: Upper control arm greasing
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
I wasn't taking the gorilla approach, I was just pumping easy until I felt pressure and stopped.

I pulled the arm and figured I would leave this here for others. The shafts on the new arms were not really centered and the one that leaked was the one with the least amount of shaft in the nut. To make a long story short, once I adjusted the shaft, no more leak.

I was on the Opentracker web site and under their blueprinted control arm section they claim the arms they get from their vendor (looks like Moog from pictures)  always have the shaft biased to one side...the same side. This means one arm will shift the center of the ball joint to the rear (good for positive caster) and the other side will do the opposite. For reference, the arm I had most out of whack had about a 1/8" difference between sides. I adjusted both shafts to as close to center as possible with any minor bias to influence positive caster.