News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Trunk liner

Started by Karguy, July 19, 2021, 09:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

What am I missing? I continue to see 65 and 66 style Ford trunk liners being advertised for astronomical prices. All of the units being advertised are service replacement units and beginning to split and crack due to age from being folded up in a box for many many years. I would love to have the original trunk liner for 6S281 in pristine condition but lets be real here, that ship sailed many years ago. I have used Scott Drake units before and they look and fit perfectly. Would a Scott Drake trunk liner result in a deduction in concourse level two? I assume that concourse level one would be the only class that would require a original assembly line unit. Thanks for your thoughts
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

CharlesTurner

The last 5 years or so, the NOS supply of parts seems to be drying up.  Either that or folks are sitting on what they have and not selling.

An NOS mat is a nice touch for a Div 2 type concours car, but only the highest level restorations (no repro parts) would require an original or NOS mat for judging.

What's nice about needing one for a fastback is a coupe or convertible one can be cut down.  Ford sold at least some of the convertible ones rolled up in a long box, maybe some coupe ones too.  Those usually survive cracking.  For whatever reason, probably the size, the fastback ones were usually folded up in a smaller box... which is why they are almost always cracked up, usually by someone unfolding in cold temps.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CharlesTurner on July 19, 2021, 10:52:34 AM
The last 5 years or so, the NOS supply of parts seems to be drying up.  Either that or folks are sitting on what they have and not selling.

An NOS mat is a nice touch for a Div 2 type concours car, but only the highest level restorations (no repro parts) would require an original or NOS mat for judging.

What's nice about needing one for a fastback is a coupe or convertible one can be cut down.  Ford sold at least some of the convertible ones rolled up in a long box, maybe some coupe ones too.  Those usually survive cracking.  For whatever reason, probably the size, the fastback ones were usually folded up in a smaller box... which is why they are almost always cracked up, usually by someone unfolding in cold temps.
+1 . Texture on the back side and maybe slight difference in color are some of the possible differences between the best repros and early service or assemblyline trunk mats. Yes cracks matter in a negative way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

Charles, thank you for the heads up on the coupe and convertible mats, I was not aware of that.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!