Author Topic: New fuel tank  (Read 3546 times)

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
New fuel tank
« on: June 16, 2021, 09:54:02 PM »
Should there be any kind of material between the fuel tank and body? Silicone, etc.

• View Profile
Re: New fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 10:35:44 PM »
I used strip caulk.  Not sure if it is what was used originally.

Jon

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:56:19 PM »
I used strip caulk.  Not sure if it is what was used originally.

Jon
Yes a strip caulk type of product was what was used originally.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Lfino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:55:17 AM »
I used the black strip caulk by 3M.
Worked great.

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »
I bought the black 3M stuff. There is a bake lite or plastic piece that I think holds the fuel sender wire. It’s kind twisted from muffler heat. Does anybody make those or do I make something to hold the wire?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:42 AM »
I bought the black 3M stuff. There is a bake lite or plastic piece that I think holds the fuel sender wire. It’s kind twisted from muffler heat. Does anybody make those or do I make something to hold the wire?
Not all 67 Shelby's or SJ produced Mustangs used that strip type clip to hold the wire. Yes it gets distorted by the transverse muffler heat. The other style individual clips used to hold the wire are typically more prevalent and are reproduced . It is not known why some cars used one type of clip and others used a different.This a Mustang thing and not a Shelby issue. Ether style is acceptable however a heat distorted strip clip would be seen as a negative vs. a non distorted shorter individual single clips version in concours competition.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 11:18:49 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 10:30:13 AM »
There were two styles of wire retainer used for the fuel sender in 1967 and 1968 model year. One style is a metal clip, the other style is a plastic sheath about 6" long. Sounds like you have the plastic sheath. Both styles are available at WCCC in used original parts.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 07:54:00 PM by Royce Peterson »
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
I did check WCCC and they sell used. They are currently out but they show what I have. Thanks for all the help. Might need more. We shall see.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 03:36:54 PM »
Don't use the new 3M strip caulk, it is a nasty/sticky butyl-based material.  Look for 'rope caulk', which I believe Eastwood and some other places sell.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 05:48:11 PM »
Don't use the new 3M strip caulk, it is a nasty/sticky butyl-based material.  Look for 'rope caulk', which I believe Eastwood and some other places sell.
I used the 3M product about 4 years ago for tank installation. Charles is correct, it can be a sticky mess. Temperature is important, too warm it's sticky-gooy, but too cold it can be hard to work. If you proceed with using it because you already have it experiment with finding the best temperature. You may not find any temperature you like. If you are not satisfied toss it out and follow Charles' advice.

Ted

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 06:26:37 PM »

+1 The new stuff isn't like the strip caulking many of us were happy to use in the past
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 12:41:33 PM »
Is the plastic sheath all that was used in67? I can’t locate one so I am going to have to make something unless I can get some more guidance form the pros here.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »
Is the plastic sheath all that was used in67? I can’t locate one so I am going to have to make something unless I can get some more guidance form the pros here.
Reread reply #5. Others were used.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
I guess this is one of those good news / bad news things for me. I bought way too much of it about 4 years ago. Will need to find a new source whenever I run out. Does PPG still sell it in the caulking gun tubes?

+1 The new stuff isn't like the strip caulking many of us were happy to use in the past
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 11:23:39 PM »
Pictures of the original sealant after an original tank was removed

See you have a May 17th finished example. Don't see the sheath often at all on 67 San Jose cars. Not sure why they were used other than possibly a test. 1968's with them are really rare to find also. We've done a survey of the retainers for all three plants for 68 production over on CMF But only a very small number have been found on 67's

Looking at pictures I see a couple of other examples with them also but have not cross referenced the Ford VINs to see if I can find more in that range as far as Mustangs go

The vast IMHO majority of cars were supplied with the typical rubber dipped metal clips attached to the fuel tank opening lip as shown below

Fuel tank sealant is a gray in this picture due to air and sun exposure over the years of sitting in a yard ;)

Sorry don't have a clear 67 strip/sheave picture handy only 68's. Will look

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge