News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 GT350 Steel Hood auction

Started by footnfan, June 04, 2021, 02:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This hood is constructed of steel and was removed from the seller's 1966 Shelby GT350 over 20 years ago. The piece is finished in Sapphire Blue with white stripes and features an integrated hood scoop as well as provisions for retaining pins. This steel GT350 hood is offered at no reserve in Naples, Florida.

The hood features all-steel construction rather than a fiberglass panel over a steel substructure, and features an intake scoop as well as two hood-pin receivers. Additional photos of the metallic paintwork can be viewed in the gallery below.

The inner structure is also made of steel, and retains a front latching hoop and locating pin. The hood is designed to be bolted to two hinges via four captive nuts.

A six-digit stamping is located near the trailing edge on the underside. The hood was previously installed on Shelby GT350 chassis number 6S2166 according to the seller.

BaT Essentials

Lot #49471
    Seller: footnfan
    All-Steel Construction
    Metallic Blue w/White Stripes
    Integrated Scoop
    Front Latch Hoop & Locating Pin
    Two Hood-Pin Receivers
    Four Captive Mounting Nuts
    Private Party Or Dealer: Private Party
    Model Page: Ford Shelby Mustang
    Category: Parts

silverton_ford

A company on Facebook is imposing this hood for sale for half the price as sold on Bring A Trailer.  Smells like a scam.  Using the same photos from BAT.

tesgt350

This Hood sold for $11,500 on BAT.  Honestly, is it really worth that?

Bob Gaines

Interesting that the hood pin plates are installed incorrectly . The plates are currently clocked like a 65 where the pin goes straight back between the rivets and not like a 66 where it goes at a 45 degree toward the scoop. That may seem trivial but it sends up a red flag to me. New plates happens frequently to replaced scratched up ones. Replacement isn't odd what is odd is why would you not use the existing original rivet holes which are drilled in the 12,3,6 and 9 position 66 pattern when replacing the hood pin plate? To me it indicates the strong possibility that the correct holes were never there . A made up hood may be perfectly fine if made properly . All the elements to make one are readily available to make one . The way the scoop was done for SA is the typical thing that is not followed when making a repro. I can't determine from the pictures any other original or non original tells . For that money I would want to know it is genuine or a reproduction. Of course because this public forum this information may quickly find its way back to the seller . No unused holes under the plate would indicate a repro. However he seller could take the plate off put a set 66 pattern holes in to cover the genuine aspect. There is no good reason IMO to drill 65 pin plate holes in a 66 hood like the picture shows now.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I've always heard that Shelby didn't always make the cars the same. On 6S1431 that I've owned since 1971 and still friends with the guy I bought it from and he bought it when it came off rental service in late 66, early 67 (Dec/Jan). The original hood I replaced with the intention of having it redone (has some rust through on the front edge of the frame. The sheet metal date code on the back edge seems to match most of the other parts on the car or close to it. No records appear to be around that says it was in an accident during rental service and the original owner never changed it. The hood pins are clocked at 12,3,6,and 9.  Now was this ever changed sometime before it came out of rental service? I can't say for sure, but nothing seems to indicate it was changed.
The car also has one Ray Brown and one Impact seat belt, it also has solid, not open letter valve covers even though several "experts" over the years have told me they must have been changed. I always respect the thoughts and opinions of folks on the forum who are a wealth of knowledge, especially folks like Bob Gaines, Pete Disher, Jeff Speegle, Charles Turner and many others. Maybe my car was a mistake, or an anomaly 
Any thought? Inquiring minds would like to know
Pictures are included
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on September 14, 2023, 05:33:25 PM
I've always heard that Shelby didn't always make the cars the same. On 6S1431 that I've owned since 1971 and still friends with the guy I bought it from and he bought it when it came off rental service in late 66, early 67 (Dec/Jan). The original hood I replaced with the intention of having it redone (has some rust through on the front edge of the frame. The sheet metal date code on the back edge seems to match most of the other parts on the car or close to it. No records appear to be around that says it was in an accident during rental service and the original owner never changed it. The hood pins are clocked at 12,3,6,and 9.  Now was this ever changed sometime before it came out of rental service? I can't say for sure, but nothing seems to indicate it was changed.
The car also has one Ray Brown and one Impact seat belt, it also has solid, not open letter valve covers even though several "experts" over the years have told me they must have been changed. I always respect the thoughts and opinions of folks on the forum who are a wealth of knowledge, especially folks like Bob Gaines, Pete Disher, Jeff Speegle, Charles Turner and many others. Maybe my car was a mistake, or an anomaly 
Any thought? Inquiring minds would like to know
Pictures are included
12,3,6,9 are the typical way 66 hood pin plate rivets are clocked . The click pin is supposed be position so that it goes in between the rivets at a 45 degree angle toward the scoop. 65 plate rivets are at 2,4,8 and 10  and the click pin goes towards the windshield which is between the rivets.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on September 14, 2023, 05:33:25 PM

One piece of possible useful data for the discussion would be the stamping date from the steel hood liner. Just a thought

Also is the color showing in your pictures the base color directly over the gel coat? Guessing that by the pictures yours is a fiberglass & steel lined hood
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 14, 2023, 01:59:45 PM
This Hood sold for $11,500 on BAT.  Honestly, is it really worth that?
Not to me I paid $100 or 150 for the one I bought to use on 843. But it was in the late 70s.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless