Author Topic: Water pump questions  (Read 3446 times)

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
Water pump questions
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:58:06 PM »
I own a later '66 GT350 that the water pump has gone bad in. I am a lot better at breaking things then fixing them so I have the following questions and thanks for not judging me :)!!!

1. What should the correct part number and where is it located. It is still on the car and I couldn't find one.
2. If it turns out to be correct should I have it rebuilt and by whom? (I am located in western NC)
3. If it is not correct where can I purchase a correct one.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Water pump questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »
just helped a buddy with a late April '66 GT350 get a WP.

I think you want a FoMoCo in the rectangle, with the C6OE-A engineering #, note red arrows - there was a variation on this boss being tapped or not,  think either is OK.

HiPo would have the impeller with 6-vanes, IIRC - Others will know more...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
just helped a buddy with a late April '66 GT350 get a WP.

I think you want a FoMoCo in the rectangle, with the C6OE-A engineering #, note red arrows - there was a variation on this boss being tapped or not,  think either is OK.

HiPo would have the impeller with 6-vanes, IIRC - Others will know more...
Just wanted to give confirmation that it doesn't matter if the boss is tapped or not because it is not used in this application. A hypo 6 vane impeller with have 3 holes visible from the back side of the pump. A 8 vane regular Mustang impeller will have 4 holes visible from the back side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »
After further review the water pump on my car does not have the C60E-A part number or any visible part number for that matter. Any suggestions on where I can purchase one that is ready to go?

Again, thanks for the guidance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
After further review the water pump on my car does not have the C60E-A part number or any visible part number for that matter. Any suggestions on where I can purchase one that is ready to go?

Again, thanks for the guidance.
Expect to pay around 350.00 or more for a rebuilt C6OE waterpump with the hipo cast iron 6 blade impeller. You now have a basis of what to expect when searching . Hopefully you will find one for less . Don't be surprised to find ones that are more. Hopefully the info will help to make a informed decision so that you don't miss a opportunity as those cores are few and far between.  Ebay ,Shelby parts and restorations,swap meets etc. are all places to search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 08:41:15 PM »
Hi 6T6Shelby,

Before you spend big money you might try your local auto parts store. Tell them you want a original cast iron Ford water pump rebuilt and you would like to inspect their inventory.  There’s a remote chance you’ll find a rebuilt water pump that you can use as a core to have rebuilt as a HiPo water pump.  It has been a while since I’ve tried this but in the past I have found original 6COE-A water pumps.  They are out there. And if you find one buy a lottery ticket at the same time.

Best of luck

Cory
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:43:09 PM by 6s1640 »

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 09:24:36 PM »
^^What he said.

Works for Cory but rarely for me. Every time I go into an auto parts store and ask to to look at their water pump inventory, they say another guy was just in last week and cleaned them out.
Dave - 6S1757

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
PM sent ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »
Is the 1966 and 1967 C6OE-A water pump the same, other than paint ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
Is the 1966 and 1967 C6OE-A water pump the same, other than paint ?

Same water pump. Same paint color painted after it was bolted to the engine 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Thank you.... I thought 1966 was black and 1967 was Ford blue......?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »
If I've been paying attention, some of the '65's were black, maybe including some of the "carry-over" '66's?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »
If I've been paying attention, some of the '65's were black, maybe including some of the "carry-over" '66's?
Ford was supposed to change over to blue in August of 1965. The carryover 66 cars (very late 65 production cars so SA could get a jump on 66 production) typically had black painted blocks. I have only read and heard of anecdotal evidence reports of some blue painted engines on the carry over 66's. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:31:59 PM by Bob Gaines »

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »
Captain Obvious says 6S290 was black cast iron.