The Official SAAC Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:37:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pics of my front suspension - what's beat? useable? Is that an UCA Drop??  (Read 1976 times)
ITHERTZ

« on: November 02, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »

OK, I'll admit I'm far from a mechanic. I figure a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a bunch!  Extra holes above the UCA?  At least the sway bar bushings look new...  I was thinking to upgrade a larger 1" sway bar anyway, so darn to that.  Shocks, Springs and perches are new as well.

Trying to figure out what kind of brakes as well, and if I have the correct suspension parts for the brakes and such.  The alignment was so far off, this is what my front tires look like after a little more than 2K miles.  Had put new Idler arm, tires and alignment all at once at the Ford dealership.

See the album:http://troy.krugercentral.com/clone/

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:44:37 AM by ITHERTZ » Logged

stickshift

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »

Yes, those holes appear to be for the original stock UCA mounts. Don't know what the center hole is for. Maybe the guy made a templet and drilled a hole to mount the templet to the tower?

Put a tape measure on the center of the UCA studs in the engine compartment and the center of the original holes. That will tell you how much it was lowered. Looking at it, it looks more then 1".

That's a stock Mustang front anti-sway bar. Shelby one is hefty at 1". Granada bar will fit but is 1-1/8".

Post a picture of the brakes and I'll see what you've got. Need to see the calipers and the rotors.

Still say you were describing bump steer. Been there...done that, so to speak.  Grin

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:54:44 AM by stickshift » Logged
ITHERTZ

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »

Lots of pics of the brakes in the photo album link......

http://troy.krugercentral.com/clone/

Thanks,
Troy

stickshift

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

Very sure you have '68 Mustang rotors, calipers and hubs. 65 would have 4 piston K/H calipers and have 4 windows in the rotors near the hubs.

68 rotors also have a bigger venting area in the center of the rotors then the 65's do.

The spindles may be 68 Mustang as well. I'm not sure that the '68 calipers will bolt up to the 65 spindles. I doubt they will?

Is that wear on the tires on the outside or inside of the tires?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:55:49 AM by stickshift » Logged
mustmore

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »

My question is what spindles are on the car?  Early cars require expert knowledge to align
with 68-69 spindles.  If Granada it's even worse with many side issues of proper steering wheel
return,  etc.  I would identify all the pieces first before recommending any "fix"
Sue

stickshift

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »

My question is what spindles are on the car?  Early cars require expert knowledge to align
with 68-69 spindles.  If Granada it's even worse with many side issues of proper steering wheel
return,  etc.  I would identify all the pieces first before recommending any "fix"
Sue

Granada spindles would take Granada calipers, which those are not.

ITHERTZ

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »

with 68-69 spindles. 

Exactly!  That's what I'm attempting to do with the photo documentation as I don't know what the previous owner did.  All I know is that something ain't working right with my alignments/tires.  The photo shows wear on the INSIDES of the front tire (both are affected).

If these are '68 spindles on an early ('65) car, how does one go about aligning the car?

SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »

Hi Troy,
To get it right chase down a correct set of 1965-66 Spindles, Calipers and Rotors. They are out there. With patience and careful shopping you can source them reasonably. If not and you are in a hurry for some reason, Tony Navarra will have them his business is: T&D HiPo Motors here in California his number is 408 316-9607.
Cheers,
~Earl J

2013/14 Member at Large Norcal Region SAAC
2012 VP NorCal Region SAAC
ITHERTZ

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »

Hi Troy,
To get it right chase down a correct set of 1965-66 Spindles, Calipers and Rotors. They are out there. With patience and careful shopping you can source them reasonably. If not and you are in a hurry for some reason, Tony Navarra will have them his business is: T&D HiPo Motors here in California his number is 408 316-9607.
Cheers,
~Earl J

I'm hoping to keep what I have.  Those early disc brakes setups are expensive!  People do all kinds of swaps - Granada, etc....I'm sure there is a way to make it work.  I'm hoping to tap into the collective brain trust here to help me figure it out without spending too much money.  My wife hates these cars for a reason, you know.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »

I'm hoping to keep what I have.  Those early disc brakes setups are expensive!  People do all kinds of swaps - Granada, etc....I'm sure there is a way to make it work.  I'm hoping to tap into the collective brain trust here to help me figure it out without spending too much money.  My wife hates these cars for a reason, you know.
Troy,as others have said ,you need to figure out what you have. There should be a engineering number on the backside of the spindle . with some luck you will be able to read it from the backside. It will be down lower on the spindle from were the upper ball joint bolts to the spindle . You may have to clear away grease and grim to see it. There is only so much that can be diagnosed from your pictures. i see that this is a duplicating info in -Re: Front Disc Brake Spindle / Setup ID - photos!  reply #1 but it is a place that I would start from. You may have to do a little disassembly to determine what you have. Bob

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:29:40 AM by Bob Gaines » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
ITHERTZ

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »

OK, let's get back on topic to the suspension....Brakes are on a seperate thread as Bob alluded to. 

Bob Gaines

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »

Most likely the empty set of upper control arm holes indicate a Shelby style lowered suspension.  Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
stickshift

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »

Here is what the engineering number looks like on the back of the 68 spindle. You don't need to disassemble to see it.

You need to shot a picture of the lower control arm, where it bolts to the chassis. I believe that the 65-6 Mustang lower control arm has no excentric adjustment at that point. The later Mustangs do.

It is possible that you also have 67 or later upper and lower control arms.

* 68 spindle 001.jpg (7.31 KB, 800x531 - viewed 127 times.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:53:56 PM by stickshift » Logged
GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

the spindles are 68-70 mustang or granada.   I would lean toward the mustang ones.  easy way to tell is a stock 65 tie rod end will not fit in a granada spindle. do you have the last alinement specs did shop print you a copy? if so scan it and  post it so we can see what the did .......or didnt do. 

ITHERTZ

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »

the spindles are 68-70 mustang or granada.   I would lean toward the mustang ones.  easy way to tell is a stock 65 tie rod end will not fit in a granada spindle. do you have the last alinement specs did shop print you a copy? if so scan it and  post it so we can see what the did .......or didnt do. 

Nope - I didn't get any specs from the alignment shop (Ford dealership).

So how does one align an early car with late spindles/brakes/tie rod ends?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!