News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Found 68 GT350/500? need help identifying it. I have questions

Started by SFM5S000, March 29, 2021, 09:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 31, 2021, 12:38:24 PM
No big deal Shelbyman, all in the spirit of research and documenting.

Little off topic:
Mustangs and Shelby's that went to Belgium, had entirely new serial numbers stamped into the body aprons.
Just an oddity that Mr Vinnie knows about too.
I have known  that for 36 years. They should also have a plate mounted off the apron if sold by Claude .   :)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: SFM5S000 on March 31, 2021, 05:22:13 PM
More pics,
Note 3rd pic, inside of trunk, tail light panel cutouts? Are these cuts correct?
My thinking is someone was/had built a clone.
I'm also thinking this car was stolen.

~E
looking at pic number 2 I see what appears to be the hole for the wiring clip on the front of the passengers shock tower. With the torched access holes for grease fittings it would appear original shock towers possibly even though the spot green painting is weird at best. Could these both be clues along with the dual exhaust hangers and what appears to be correct cutouts in the rear panel(closer inspection like Charles said) that this car at one time could have been a KR or later Shelby that could have gotten the wraparound shock towers?? The clue to me is the hole in the shock tower. Did regular Mustangs have a hole there? The underside looks rusted real bad so maybe a car pulled from a salvage yard with no title and was being brought back to life hence the numbers being cut out? Roll bar gone? Shelby pieces gone? Isnt this a Shelby specific bracket in the lower right corner of the pic?  Just an observation.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

QuickSilverShelby

Definitely does look like an original 60's Shelby production line shovel in that picture.  That looks more after market to me.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Special Ed

Ford did make a winter snow shovel kit as i got one here still in an old ford box yet that i found long ago in either a canada or northern USA old ford dealerships and the shovel was a take down version that fit in the trunk.  When u see snow shovels and snow blowers in garages u need to really watch for rust problems HAHA!

427hunter

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 01, 2021, 06:00:44 AM
More pics,
Note 3rd pic, inside of trunk, tail light panel cutouts? Are these cuts correct?

~E
looking at pic number 2 I see what appears to be the hole for the wiring clip on the front of the passengers shock tower. With the torched access holes for grease fittings it would appear original shock towers possibly even though the spot green painting is weird at best. Could these both be clues along with the dual exhaust hangers and what appears to be correct cutouts in the rear panel(closer inspection like Charles said) that this car at one time could have been a KR or later Shelby that could have gotten the wraparound shock towers?? The clue to me is the hole in the shock tower. Did regular Mustangs have a hole there? The underside looks rusted real bad so maybe a car pulled from a salvage yard with no title and was being brought back to life hence the numbers being cut out? Roll bar gone? Shelby pieces gone? Isnt this a Shelby specific bracket in the lower right corner of the pic?  Just an observation.

A 390 mustang in 68 would have the shock tower reinforcements, the most logical conclusion on this vehicle regular mustang or not is that it was stolen.

If it was a shelby start going through the registry looking for stolen 68's from that area or the surrounding states.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Cobrask8

The trunk panel is indeed a clue.

Original cars had circular cut-outs, and the metal cups behind. Nothing here.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427hunter on April 01, 2021, 11:14:59 AM
More pics,

~E

A 390 mustang in 68 would have the shock tower reinforcements, the most logical conclusion on this vehicle regular mustang or not is that it was stolen.

If it was a shelby start going through the registry looking for stolen 68's from that area or the surrounding states.
428CJ cars but don't think 390s in 1968. I had a 390 Bullitt later car with the normal towers in it. again that hole in the shock tower for the SW gauge wiring is something I wouldn't expect to find on a regular mustang nor the upper grill mounting plate
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Cobrask8 on April 01, 2021, 02:01:23 PM
The trunk panel is indeed a clue.

Original cars had circular cut-outs, and the metal cups behind. Nothing here.
yeah, like this for most cars. (cups not mounted right).
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

427hunter

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 01, 2021, 02:01:34 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on April 01, 2021, 11:14:59 AM
More pics,

~E

428CJ cars but don't think 390s in 1968. I had a 390 Bullitt later car with the normal towers in it. again that hole in the shock tower for the SW gauge wiring is something I wouldn't expect to find on a regular mustang nor the upper grill mounting plate

When the CJ became available (mid production) all big block 390/428 mustangs got the reinforced shock towers.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

gt350shelb

also  has screwed hood seal not stapled  / i think it is multiple cars / cowl area is not flattened  in area of export brace .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbymann1970

[/quote]

When the CJ became available (mid production) all big block 390/428 mustangs got the reinforced shock towers.
[/quote] Thanks. I'll check my Marti to see when my 68 was built(original late style quarter panels non wrap around shock towers)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990