Author Topic: MCA gold winnning 69 GT350 at Mecum sold-95K  (Read 4696 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: MCA gold winnning 69 GT350 at Mecum sold-95K
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0418-324866/1969-shelby-gt350-fastback/

Is that caution fan sticker stock  ;)
IF it ever really got a MCA Gold it most likely was not at a National MCA show because the multitude of incorrect detailing under the hood would not have gone unnoticed or in mentioned on judging sheets by the knowledgeable judges that typically attend the national shows . At regional shows they some times do the best they can and have to pull from the local ranks regardless of if qualified or not.  If the same percentage of incorrect items as seen in the engine compartment are in other unseen areas like undercarriage ,under dash etc. then this car would be hard pressed to qualify for a award let alone a Gold. Again it looks very nice but a car can look that nice yet not be done to high concours standards. It is much more likely typical auction over the top unverified description hype. just my opinion .Others my see it differently.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
Could it be POSSIBLE that someone lied? For what reason? Surely not to get more $$$$$ than they deserve. Tell me it ain't true............ :'(

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »
Case solved!  It DID win an MCA Gold!

http://www.motorclubamerica.net/

Turns out the Motor Club of America started a 'self judged' category a few years ago.  For $29.99 they sent you a clipboard, checklist and a generic 'Gold' trophy for if/when you felt your car deserved gold.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »
https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0418-324866/1969-shelby-gt350-fastback/

Is that caution fan sticker stock  ;)
IF it ever really got a MCA Gold it most likely was not at a National MCA show because the multitude of incorrect detailing under the hood would not have gone unnoticed or in mentioned on judging sheets by the knowledgeable judges that typically attend the national shows . At regional shows they some times do the best they can and have to pull from the local ranks regardless of if qualified or not.  If the same percentage of incorrect items as seen in the engine compartment are in other unseen areas like undercarriage ,under dash etc. then this car would be hard pressed to qualify for a award let alone a Gold. Again it looks very nice but a car can look that nice yet not be done to high concours standards. It is much more likely typical auction over the top unverified description hype. just my opinion .Others my see it differently.

So are you saying the fan sticker is not correct  ::)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
Case solved!  It DID win an MCA Gold!

http://www.motorclubamerica.net/

Turns out the Motor Club of America started a 'self judged' category a few years ago.  For $29.99 they sent you a clipboard, checklist and a generic 'Gold' trophy for if/when you felt your car deserved gold.

😂

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
It could have won in the 'Occasional Driver' class where only cleanliness, workmanship and fit and finish count.
Greg Z
6S2249

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
As usual ALWAYS check claims and statements.  I heard the statement the auctioneers made when it cross the block. As soon as the cameras rotated and showed the engine compartment it was pretty obvious IMHO that this was not your typical "Gold" award winner as we think of the award and class. 

Odd things have happened in the past but agree this is not an example others should be copying if they are building a car to a high standard and again reminds us that original unrestored cars and details are your best sources

Of course, from what we can see on the site, there is nothing that could not be reversed/corrected but seems like a pretty strong price and would only guess that a project car was not what the new owner had in their future plans. Maybe we will be welcoming the new owner here on the site soon and we can help out making it a more correct car if that is their end goal.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:40:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
mca judging means nothing more than earl scheib painted it the correct color (according to whatever you put on your door tag, could even be a gm color (yes, I've seen that on a mca presidents "gold"car)) phred

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »
Where did they hide the compressor? It says factory air in 2 different places. ???  Anyone know how many $ it brought?

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
mca judging means nothing more than earl scheib painted it the correct color (according to whatever you put on your door tag, could even be a gm color (yes, I've seen that on a mca presidents "gold"car)) phred
Just a little harsh Phred. MCA and SAAC are meant to be kindred spirits.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1969shelbygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
As a newbie, I'm so confused!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
  Anyone know how many $ it brought?

Take notice of the title of the thread ;)

mca judging means nothing more than earl scheib painted it the correct color (according to whatever you put on your door tag,............

Both groups have been around for a long time and given they hold 5 times as many shows as SAAC has (in approx numbers) there are plenty of stories if you want to go back years. But then, SAAC has had its share also, so I think it best that we do what we can in the present, while working to improve things for the future. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:12:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 10:48:23 PM »
Sorry, I missed that :o

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970