Author Topic: How has owning a Shelby or a Boss changed your life?  (Read 5988 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
How has owning a Shelby or a Boss changed your life?
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »
for better or worse.  Mine has been with me through thick and thin, good times and bad.  Just thinking about her in my garage makes me happy and motivated to do bigger and better things in my life.  An ever constant that never lets me down.

Cheerio,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: How has owning a Shelby or a Boss changed your life?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:25:06 AM »
Interesting question.  I would have to say, yes.  I've met some of my closest friends through this group of owners - some of whom I've yet to meet in person...honestly!

Having a Shelby has changed my perspective on life, in that I have many more people to gain insight and wisdom from (not just about Shelbys), and it's helped me meet people that I may have never met otherwise .  And, there's something about having an incredibly strong passion for something and being able to share that same passion with someone else.  It's a bond that's forged in very few other ways, if at all, in my experience.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:08:40 AM by Shelby_0022 »
Nothing beats a classic!

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
Owning a Shelby has changed my life in a hugely positive way.  I have had the priveledge of meeting so many knowledgable and kind folks in this hobby that I am also proud to now call my friends.  A big thanks to SAAC for all they do.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
when I bought my 1st Shelby, no one even knew what it was, and I didn't care what it was, other than transportation. that was back in the early 70's. still got it, still sits in the garage. I suppose when I sell it, retirement will be easier. phred

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »
for better or worse.  Mine has been with me through thick and thin, good times and bad.  Just thinking about her in my garage makes me happy and motivated to do bigger and better things in my life.  An ever constant that never lets me down.
You've got to have good memories of driving across country with your dad to buy it and having it restored. Even though we sold it we still have many memories and friends from owning it.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
You've got to have good memories of driving across country with your dad to buy it and having it restored. Even though we sold it we still have many memories and friends from owning it.
Fantastic memories!  That was my first time in California.  On the way, I'd never before seen the Grand Canyon or the Painted Desert either.  Needles was interesting at 112 degrees when we went as well!  I found California rather dreamy even though it has its problems.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:01:20 AM »
The cars are cool, but it’s the people I’ve met that have changed my life – for the better. Owning a Shelby has opened the door to many great friendships.

Just one example. After Hurricane Harvey swept through my area, a Shelby owner I had only recently met (and never seen in person) offered to take in my whole family to live in his house if we needed. And he was even going come with a truck to help us bring whatever belongings we needed. Fortunately we didn’t take on any water and therefore didn’t need to accept his offer. But what a guy! You just don’t meet people like that every day.

Steve

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »
Like when. You walk your dog, driving a Shelby or. Any classic for that matter opens hearts and minds

I don't sell cars, I sell a lifestyle. The folks you meet are the true reward of ownership

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
I would have to say that it has given me the opportunity to meet many people that I would never have met. I bought 6S550 in Aug. 1967, and still have it. I drive it usually at least once a week, even though I live in Colorado. Back in 1976, while living in Mississippi, I met Mark Smith, and many local Shelby owners down there. Back in about 2009, I met Ray Tharp, of Des Moines, Iowa, because he wanted to ask a question about the car. He owns 6S554. I consider him a lifelong friend, even though I was 66 when I first met him.  When I'm out for a ride in 550, I always get thumbs up, and people following me to where ever I'm going, to talk cars, and look the car over.  It's a nice driver, and always gets a lot of attention. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 08:53:09 PM »
Like when. You walk your dog, driving a Shelby or. Any classic for that matter opens hearts and minds

I don't sell cars, I sell a lifestyle. The folks you meet are the true reward of ownership

Tell me more about this "lifestyle," cause I appear to be missing out.  Maybe I didn't spend enough?

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
Made me a hell of a better driver...If you can tail steer competently most everything else is easier in a rear drive car....Also nice to know(since 82) that I always have an “ace in the hole”..... 8)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
Tell me more about this "lifestyle," cause I appear to be missing out.  Maybe I didn't spend enough?

LOL!   😂

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
New Mustang in 65. 1st Shelby in 71.. Had em for almost 45 years. It was a blast back then. IT WAS A WAY OF LIFE. Shelby clubs coming an goin. Local get togethers.  Now not so much. Attention span isn't what it use to be.. Variety is the spice of life especially as ya get older.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
 Because of that frivolous purchase 30+ years ago :
  I have lived in 5 different states
  Have met =1000s of people
 ......some of them police
 Have prepared cars for  just about every road course in the usa
 Restored cars that won pebble beach
 Learned to sail
Traveled  A LOT

Raced snowmobiles
Shipped cars around the world
Raced Ferrari s as a career   
Paul Newmans crew chief
Driven a Duesenberg  indy car
Have driven   huge array  of  private collections of cars
 Learned that driving  the GT350  IS WAY more fun than  collection of trophys
 Met a Great Woman

Bought a Farm

Other than that  it has not changed me much :D
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 10:48:11 PM »
^^^ I want to be "gt350shelb"  ;-)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0