The Official SAAC Forum
November 18, 2017, 08:09:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SAAC-33 NJMP may get wet from Hurricane Irene  (Read 247811 times)
CaptDave

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »

Irene is still killing upper NY state with 10 inches of rain in just a few hours today.  Loads of real problems for SAAC members there.

Do we have any Cobra owners in Newport, RI?  The wind is beating Newport to death.

Down in south Jersey by NJMP it's a perfect summer evening with clear skys and a light breeze.  What a change a day makes.  I won't forget this one.

I'm the only one I know who was in the direct path of Irene all week.  I'm the only one I know who didn't get hit.  All my friends and relatives in northern NJ took a beating of some kind.

The SAAC Forum is really quiet.  I think there must be many members with big problems also.

I flown around Hurricanes.  I even flown over Hurricanes.  That's the first one I ever experenced on the ground.  I hope that's the last one I have to put up with.  The waiting around for it is what kills you.  It moves a few miles to the right, it may miss me.  Now they have it going back over me again.  Back and forth with the forcast.  That's how it was for 5 days.

CaptDave

Hurricane Irene 0 / CaptDave 1
CaptDave

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »

The town of Pequannock in northern NJ has over 1300 homes flooded.  That is the worst in the state.  The water is going to be at a record level (I lived in Pequannock Township for 33 years).

I have another home in Long Valley, NJ.  The flood waters are close.  But it's only problem is it is cut off.

My home near NJMP (SAAC-33) is in great shope.  I was the closest to the storm as it passed.

If you live inland near the path of a Hurricane it's all about rainfall.

Pequannock Rainfall Total - 12.36" / Average Monthly - 4.25" / Month to Date - 20.09"

Hackettstown Rainfall Total - 11.14" / Average Monthly - 4.78" / Month to Date - 19.48"

Millville (NJMP) Rainfall Total - 7.64" / Average Monthly - 4.35" / Month to Date - 14.29"

Use The Weather Channel website to get your totals.  Go to Monthly to get rain totals.  Just use you Zipcode to get location (that's the fastest way).

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USNJ0402

CaptDave

CaptDave

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »

Anyone who went to SAAC-33 remember the rather large Millville Dam on the way to NJMP?  It seems a couple of dams upriver from the dam opened the gates.  Everyone in the low rent type housing near the river in town has been told to move.  The street and bridge in front of the dam has been blocked.  They are trying to dump the Millville Dam before it takes out downtown Millville.  Water has been flowing over parts of the dam where it shouldn't be flowing.

There is a WAWA gas station next to the dam.  I know when I drive home my car says 1.1 miles.  So I figure 1.1 miles is a good distance to be from the dam.  I just looked it up on Google Maps.  There is no direct route to the dam from my home.  It looks more like .5 miles from the dam in a direct line.  Good news is the Millville Airport & NJMP are on a hill.

I know you people on the West Coast and middle of the country are always looking for rain.  If you come to NJ or New England you can get all you want...free!

I'm torn between my lawn looks great but the town may wash away.  There is a lot to be said about having a green lawn.

CaptDave

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!