Author Topic: Tach wiring picture  (Read 1611 times)

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
Tach wiring picture
« on: February 22, 2021, 06:12:20 PM »
I am looking for a picture  and wiring diagram of the wire connections for the Shelby tach for a 66 built in March. I have my original dash wiring loom and it has splices with the original tach wires wire spliced in with crimp on red butt connectors. My tach has been rewired and I want to make sure I get the wiring right and as close to original as possible. My tach has a red, blue and a black wire.

Thanks for the help. 
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Tach wiring picture
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 06:24:30 PM »
Hope this helps. Thought it had been posted before just not sure if its been reposted since the crash pf 1.0

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:42:47 PM »
Thanks. Yes I have that from the Concours Mustang Library. I am looking for a picture of the actual wiring connections under the dash. In particular, I want o see how it is connected under the dash to the tach wire or whether it needs a separate wire to the tach?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »
Thanks. Yes I have that from the Concours Mustang Library. I am looking for a picture of the actual wiring connections under the dash. In particular, I want o see how it is connected under the dash to the tach wire or whether it needs a separate wire to the tach?

If I understand what your looking for the tach itself hooks up like the rally pack tach hooks up. The tach is placed inline between the ignition switch and the pink resistor wire. There is a short section of wire (in a non-tach car) just behind the ignition switch that has a female plug that connects to the male plug on the end of the insulated (thick woven cover) pink wire at that location. Just plug the tach in line there as shown in the drawing

Sorry don't have a picture from inside the dash with the connection for a tach made. Only possible non-tach applications and already pulled the tach out of the car in the garage. It did not have an extension or added wire between the tach wire loom and the connection point
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:27:16 PM »
This brings up a few questions.

Did the original tach come to Shelby with molded on male plugs to plug into the female loom leads? If not, did Shelby solder on or crimp on male connectors?

Was the dash pad removed during the process of installing the tach? If not how did the spacers get placed in to prevent crush of the dash pad on installation of the screws?

Regarding spacers, when I removed my dash pad it had lug nuts used as spacers. Has anyone else had lug nuts used as spacers? I can see Shelby doing that.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:39:13 PM »
This brings up a few questions.

Did the original tach come to Shelby with molded on male plugs to plug into the female loom leads? If not, did Shelby solder on or crimp on male connectors?

Was the dash pad removed during the process of installing the tach? If not how did the spacers get placed in to prevent crush of the dash pad on installation of the screws?

Regarding spacers, when I removed my dash pad it had lug nuts used as spacers. Has anyone else had lug nuts used as spacers? I can see Shelby doing that.
Can you post a picture of what you are calling a lug nut spacer? I don't know how a lug nut could be used as a spacer .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 09:13:53 PM »

Plugs on both of the hook up wires as shown in the picture and on original examples. No solder, quick connects, crimping or electrical tape

No don't see any indication that they spent the effort doing that when it would add more steps and work to the process of installing the tach. Spacers can be inserted without allot of effort in the larger diameter holes in the dash pad than in the pilot hoses for the mounting hardware

Never seen or heard of anyone else finding that. If Shelby did do it (which I don't believe they would) there would be a whole group of cars done the same way. Would have needed a pretty large diameter hole in the dash pad plus would worry that the hole would be exposed somewhere around the tack mounting bracket

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 10:14:10 PM »
I threw the nuts away. I was mistaken in my earlier post to not remember they were standard 3/4" nuts by probably 3/8" height. They were not lug nuts. Maybe a previous owner installed them.