Author Topic: 67 GT500 engine mount brackets  (Read 2810 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 GT500 engine mount brackets
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
What finish was on these originally? Were they painted black?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 engine mount brackets
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:11:34 PM »
What finish was on these originally? Were they painted black?
Bare steel from the factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:30:43 AM »
 ??? I had so many Fastbacks etc. but I have rarely/never seen them in bare metal. And who the hell change the mount brackets? I also had survivour cars etc. and the brackets were black always. Was this only on shelby 67 that they were bare metal?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »
Bare steel on the cars I have seen.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:15:16 AM »
It's not a part that unless the car was on a lift or you crawled under would be readily apparent.
I certainly never did that and as a result asked those who have.

A thank you to all who have responded.

I don't like flash rust so these two are definitely candidates for the new "metal paint". It actually does give the steel a dark, just blasted look. That seems appropriate since they certainly weren't the light zinc plated color.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
??? I had so many Fastbacks etc. but I have rarely/never seen them in bare metal. And who the hell change the mount brackets? I also had survivour cars etc. and the brackets were black always. Was this only on shelby 67 that they were bare metal?
Bare steel was a Mustang/Cougar thing from the factory not a Shelby thing . I believe they started being painted from the factory in 1970 Mustang production year.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
This brings us back to the question of do I go original or just make it better then the way it was! Both sides have a strong case so its a personal thing. Many want original finish which means rusty brake calipers, motor mounts, drive shafts and other under car items. These cars were not perfection by any means, crooked poor fitting fiberglass, messy sloppy over spray, all over engine components, paint that had runs, drips, fish eyes, and a host of other imperfections. How you bring it back is very personal.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 03:08:44 PM »
This brings us back to the question of do I go original or just make it better then the way it was! Both sides have a strong case so its a personal thing. Many want original finish which means rusty brake calipers, motor mounts, drive shafts and other under car items. These cars were not perfection by any means, crooked poor fitting fiberglass, messy sloppy over spray, all over engine components, paint that had runs, drips, fish eyes, and a host of other imperfections. How you bring it back is very personal.
Getting a little off topic I think . Maybe a stand alone topic so others in the future can search for it better . The question was -"What finish was on these originally"  it was not what is best or what should be done etc. etc.   It is of course up to the owner of each car and what they think is best based on their expectations. The original finish question was answered as requested.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »
+ 1 not meant to distract- apologies if it took a detour for anyone.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »
1970 brackets were black painted both big block and small block and the long bolt hole was smaller diameter and the L brackets were plated  not raw steel like 67-69.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 05:07:37 PM »
It's odd. They are just something that I never remember noticing before. If I had to guess, I would have thought that they were in place when the engine compartment got painted?

I know that on the big block, the manifolds are right up against them so I'm wondering if paint even lasts on them?

I'm sure a service part would have been painted and I don't recall rusty original ones being sold.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:15 AM »
As I said, I removed some of these and I have seen a lot fastbacks from 67/68 and also my shelby and other shelby´s I had but I can hardly remember that i ever saw them in bare steel. They were always black from what I have seen. And that 90% or 95% of the cars I had were later painted again in the engine bay is impossible because I see that. I had so many original paint, never removed engine cars but always black mount brackets. But maybe I´m wrong and yes its dark in this area so maybe I thought they are black. I will check this on the next mustangs more detailed.

It's odd. They are just something that I never remember noticing before. If I had to guess, I would have thought that they were in place when the engine compartment got painted?

I know that on the big block, the manifolds are right up against them so I'm wondering if paint even lasts on them?

I'm sure a service part would have been painted and I don't recall rusty original ones being sold.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:57:41 AM by Kent »
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 04:11:44 AM »
Nope - not attached to the car when it was painted. If you want to go all the way reproducing the original look you can darken the welds to reproduce the original look of the welds and the bluing of the metal near the welds

Don't have any pictures nor have I seen them painted before 70 on any unplayed with Mustang examples not Shelbys. Use to spend up to three days a week in yards so seen a few. Of course just about everyone painted them black or another color back when these cars were only worth a few thousand dollars or less like so many other parts in the engine compartment
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:16:13 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 08:06:02 AM »
These days, "unfinished sheet metal" would automatically have an anti-oxidation "coating" on them, I suppose to resist "flash rust" that is fairly successful. ;)
In the case of these mounts, I'm without experience of the time so I'm relying on the experience of others that have it and as such I appreciate that input.

What you are suggesting to me about original production line condition is that there likely is no protective coating on the steel of any kind since you're suggesting the original blueing from the welds was apparent at least in your "expectations" in leu of actual "black and white" documentation?

That's fine with me. After all, that's what I asked for? No need to cut you off at the knees on this one.

In my own case, I'm undecided as how to go. No "restoration" that I am aware of is 100% authentic. A change here under the thought of longevity is certainly on the table for me.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 08:38:20 AM »
This could be an example of where to apply satin clear spray paint to resist the eventual rust. It satisfies everyones needs.