The Official SAAC Forum
August 23, 2017, 11:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty wakes up  (Read 83128 times)
6S2020

« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »

Great to hear you are getting some miles on her.  PeelOut
Enjoy the ride. Chug a Lug

Darryll

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
Better to be a Racer for a minute than a spectator for a life time.
car 26-JD

« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

Great news congratulations, you must have a big grin on your face - well deserved!

1967 GT350 - car #26
Doug C

« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »

On its 50th birthday the Beast is driving on its own power again. I picked it up from a friends shop who graciously helped my get the little details and some big details worked out. For those that haven't followed my project it was on the road only about four-five years when it was involved in a mishap in 1971 that took it off the road until today, a very special day for me. It is mostly complete sans interior components, trying to get it ready for its 50th birthday celebration at Indy. Now its time to put some miles on the odometer and get used to its ways making sure everything is as its supposed to be. Cool one

Looking great!
If the weather is good on Saturday come on down to the KMart parking lot and show it off.  Hours of get together 7am - 9am give or take.  Cheers

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 64 Tiger
427heaven

« Reply #408 on: January 27, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »

I will need to get it plated with some tags before I wonder off with it. Its one thing to get an exhibition of speed ticket but its another when there are no plates on it. That's when they throw the book at you- its too low, too loud,speeding, I could think of another 6 things my head is beginning to hurt thinking about it. Our own PCHMOTOHO knows about these things he and KIWI discussed it on a couple of occasions. RIP my friend- Feels like it could get the number I'm looking for, now to finish the interior it looks like hell.

427heaven

« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2017, 07:47:52 AM »

Finally got some plates and tags and am able to cruise the local streets. Guzzles VP 112 race fuel like a drunken sailor swilling 90 proof while home on leave. 90 $ for 5 gallons = a half hour of pushing on the loud pedal Grin Shocked Pictures to follow PeelOut

427heaven

« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »

I have a couple of outings on my baby now. It gets to 120 about as fast as I can row the 4 speed,this with all street tires no drive shaft safety loop etc. So just trying to ease into this before going with the after market safety items to get that extra 50-60 mph. The front end seems very light at speed,anyone know what the original Super Snake did for any of its original settings? Shocked

car 26-JD

« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »

Not sure suspension settings will compensate for aerodynamic lift inherent in the cars' front design.  May need to add a front lower chin spoiler to help.  Sorry I don't remember, does the hood have louvers?

I don't know them off the top of my head but there are some front-end settings for more performance oriented driving that others can state.  I used them for my car and like them.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:53:30 AM by car 26-JD » Logged

1967 GT350 - car #26
427heaven

« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »

Thanks JD for the suggestions. Hood is vented to let out some high pressure air. Hoping someone has some info on the Super Snake, getting closer to making this a reality. Cheesy

427heaven

« Reply #413 on: May 07, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »

A little update on my project, it has been parked the last couple of months due to family and work issues a real bummer actually. It seems to run pretty good now so need to focus on finishing the interior. Question to the all knowing group is what paint is used to convert my black interior to the stunning parchment white interior. Specifically everything that is not upholstery purchased, and possibly some prep ideas to make sure it turns out beautiful!

427heaven

« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »

No experts on interior panel prep?

car 26-JD

« Reply #415 on: May 24, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »

A little update on my project, it has been parked the last couple of months due to family and work issues a real bummer actually. It seems to run pretty good now so need to focus on finishing the interior. Question to the all knowing group is what paint is used to convert my black interior to the stunning parchment white interior. Specifically everything that is not upholstery purchased, and possibly some prep ideas to make sure it turns out beautiful!
(The "black" is really a dark charcoal metallic)

NPD sells a Light Parchment in two formulas, did you look at their products?

AP=4595 and VP-4595 (page 324 of the 2016 catalog)

and a series of SEM prep products for plastic and vinyl, page 325 same catalog.

1967 GT350 - car #26
427heaven

« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »

JD as always thanks for the reply. I was not aware of this product, but will look into any quality product for the conclusion of this very long road to becoming drivable again. 46 years and counting but am getting very close to finishing it up. PeelOut

427heaven

« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

I spent a little time on fathers day weekend with a couple of my cars. The 67 will be getting white interior and is stalled temporarily while I give its cousin the 68 black big block brawler a new heart transplant. It is a 1969cj 427-428 hybrid, 428 lower end and a 427 top end should run pretty good . I hope to have it running in the next week or so. I also spent a little time on my 1966 AS coupe road racer will probably be selling the A sedan racer in the near future. Hope all fathers enjoyed their special day. Chug a Lug

427heaven

« Reply #418 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »

2017 has been the year to get some of my projects on the road again. Earlier this year 1189 was running again after 46 years, my black 68 ran this week after 35 years, this will be my Drag car because that was what they did with it from its very beginning. Both engines were built similar power wise but very different in how I got there power wise. The 67 is pure 427 Medium Rise power- The 68 is 428 Cobra Jet lower end with a 427 top end with a nasty roller cam set up. If you look back to page 14 in this thread you can see what it looks like from back awhile. Not too good with posting pics but I will ask for assistance with posting for me in the near future! PeelOut

stickshift

« Reply #419 on: July 22, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »

I believe that the SS was run on a banked oval in Texas? What you do for settings is that you hold on tighter to the steering wheel.

The nose is going to come up on the car maybe 3" over the tires.

I haven't seen George Perubski's 67 run  in quite some time but it definitely looked like a speedboat coming down the straights at Pocono. It disn't seem to bother George at all although I thought he was taller than that?

Coming down the straights he could hardly see over the steering wheel? Hum?

The 67 comes up so high at speed it looks like it is tip-toeing. The other problem is that the driver crouches down behing the wheel. At least I do. You can just see the top of my helmet and eyebrows peaking out.

I do know that the little plastic Boss 302 spoiler I had on my '68 did help enough to steer it around the track in Michigan without running all over the track. It does get very slick out there in the sun.

The fiberglass aftermarket one with the ducts was not as effective and was a pain as far as chipping on curbs and things. It only leaves about the space of your fist turned sideways for clearance under neath and if you hit something hard will crack and take out the lower valence with it.

The plastic Boss spoiler will just bend and you throw that one away and get another one but it won't tear off the lower valence with it.

Oh. If you insist on proving that you could be suicidal and want to run those speeds, put as large as a road racing pan as you can get on the car with as much oil as you can cram in there.

I recall a 68 GT500 "blowing up" in front of me in Michigan at about 150 and the only thing that could be done was to drive through the cloud of smoke to the other side and hope that I didn't pile into it.

At those engine speeds Ford FE's are going to pump most of the oil up into the valve covers. The oil doesn't drain back into the pan fast enough.

7,000rpm FE's are for professional racing teams that can change to a new engine in less then an hour and don't worry about the cost of a new one. For the mortals at over 6,000rpm they are derivable grenades AND you are going to spin the car in your own oil. THEN the track crew comes for you with a broom and a bunch of cat litter and tells you to clean up the mess!

Just think about how expensive that nice side oiler is going to be to replace when you break it now?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:53:12 AM by stickshift » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!