The Official SAAC Forum
September 21, 2017, 07:42:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty wakes up  (Read 86199 times)
car 26-JD

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

2011 Registry foot notes for car #1947 (page 1032) does not list the rear-end gear ratio, nor is it in the "1967 Shelby Drag Cars" section page 1217.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:19:21 PM by car 26 » Logged

1967 GT350 - car #26
Bob Gaines

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

2011 Registry foot notes for car #1947 (page 1032) does not list the rear-end gear ratio, nor is it in the "1967 Shelby Drag Cars" section page 1217.
I put a call into the owner and will report back what I find out. Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
427heaven

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »

So a typical gear set would be a 3.25 to 3.50 for auto cars while the stick cars got 3.50 3.89?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »

So a typical gear set would be a 3.25 to 3.50 for auto cars while the stick cars got 3.50 3.89?
3.00,3.25 auto 3.50 4sp GT500 .    3.50 auto 3.89 4sp GT350.  Bob

427heaven

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »

Another question regarding 1967 cars. Did all the cars originally have an aluminum tag installed on the guage pod originally from SHELBY AMERICAN showing the original owners name. My car has a FACTORY TAG tag showing the first owners name , stating that this car was specially made for him from SA. Any one still have one of these on there cars- just curious kinda cool !!!  Chug a Lug

Bob Gaines

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »

Another question regarding 1967 cars. Did all the cars originally have an aluminum tag installed on the guage pod originally from SHELBY AMERICAN showing the original owners name. My car has a FACTORY TAG tag showing the first owners name , stating that this car was specially made for him from SA. Any one still have one of these on there cars- just curious kinda cool !!!  Chug a Lug
There are many cars that have them. They were and are still a popular addition made easy by the fact that Branda Performance has had them available for the last 30 years or so . You can buy the blank plate and take it to have a jeweler engrave it for you. Bob

427heaven

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »

BOB- excluding the repos, what percentage of cars came with this tag! Is much made out of these tags, or is it a odd entity that if some owners asked for this they recieved tags, maybe regionaly west coast east sort of thing.Is there anything that would seperate an original from a Branda tag such as handwriting, color of tag,size etc.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »

BOB- excluding the repos, what percentage of cars came with this tag! Is much made out of these tags, or is it a odd entity that if some owners asked for this they recieved tags, maybe regionaly west coast east sort of thing.Is there anything that would seperate an original from a Branda tag such as handwriting, color of tag,size etc.
I think their original intent was a novilty/feel good item and not ment to be installed on a large number of cars. That would be a question better left to the numbers man Dave Mathews 67 SAAC registrar. Unfortunately I think most of the information in regards to the use of the plates in the cars are owners observations (which are not necessarily original owners) which have been proven unreliable more times then not on historical facts . If I were to guess I would say 1%. You have to understand that 67 Shelby's cars were not produced for a individual but built in speculation groups made up in different colors and sent to special holding lots around the country for distribution. Because of this scenario it would  be MORE reasonable to assume that plates if placed on a car were done so by a past owner rather then at the factory because the factory had no way of knowing who was going to get what car. I think a Shelby dealer might have access to a stack of them to give out. I think the first ones Branda sold were in fact original ones that were part of unused stock bought out of the plant in the 70's. There are a large number of similar Autosport items like that  were sold in big lots back in the 70's.  I have a known original blank and a repro and they look the same . Maybe later batches of repro versions are different . Once the facts and realization of their widespread use came to light about 25 years ago it wasn't anything I spent anytime keeping up with. I think it is a interesting conversation piece. You will have to draw your own conclusions on it's authenticity. Bob  

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:04:42 PM by Bob Gaines » Logged

427heaven

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »

Thanks BOB for the clarification- I thought that these were a standard issued part from SA and were fairly common among early owners. So in knowing the history of my car and it being tucked away for four decades with the original PATINA and the first owners name, I might have the proverbial needle in the haystack item, not that it means anything but kinda cool none the less. Cool one Dennis

shlby66

Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »

Maybe standard issue or not; but being the original purchaser of a '67 GT350 ( Richardson Ford, Albuquerque, NM ) I recieved my plate from
  Shelby American, about 60 days after I had bought it. It was a suprise to me when it arrived in the mail. So, I promptly installed it. Kind of neat
  seeing your name engraved on an "Official", thankyou momento, from Shelby American.  Smiley

427heaven

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

That would rank real high on the coolness factor with me, do you still have your 67 if so I was wondering if we could compare notes on the writing on the tag to see if multiple people at SA did the tags or the same person did all the tags! Chug a Lug

1967gt350

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »

Mr. Heaven,

I just got off the phone with the original owner of #0157.  To the best of his recollection, the little plaque was already installed on the car when he picked it up at the dealer in January '67. This would suggest that the dealer had a few blanks and had them engraved locally as the cars were sold. As a previous post also mentioned, this made him feel pretty special when he bought the car. I was surprised that Mr. Gaines suggested that so few cars had this item. Here's what it looks like:

* IMG_1131.jpg (8.09 KB, 800x600 - viewed 352 times.)
427heaven

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »

Thanks so much for the photo of the plaque- it looks similar to mine it has what looks like a double stamp or outline of the letter is this correct? I have asked around and most recall they were on the car when it was picked up, since mine is just a little bit later then yours it appears the same process was used. I wonder if the entire 67 year was similar?   Thanks Dennis

427heaven

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »

I was going thru some of my pieces lately and was wondering what hood was correct for what application? At what number was the steel bottom lined hoods discontinued- or did they make the entire 67 model year using these hoods except the AIR cars! Thanks Dennis PeelOut

427heaven

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »

It thought I would ask again, does anyone know when the steel bottom hoods were discontinued and were any of them used on AC cars thanks in advance- Dennis

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!