The Official SAAC Forum
July 21, 2017, 03:43:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty wakes up  (Read 79808 times)
427heaven

« on: July 14, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »

After nearly forty years of being tucked away in various storage units the BEAUTY - BEAST gt 500 #1189 is on its way to becoming drivable again!!! Around 1971 with a full boogie tunnel port 427 it was involved in a mishap that took it off the road for repairs and has sat ever since. Fast forward 40 years, I see some parts laying on the ground near my storage unit. My neighbor is cleaning up his storage bin and set out some tunnel port items and a c7zx complete intake set up. I mention it would be cool if we knew were the rest of the car was and he says I DO KNOW WHERE IT IS! One thing leads to another and the big bad blue big block is ready for some luvin that has forsakin her for nearly four decades PeelOut Chug a Lug

vernonestes

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »

PIIIIIIICS!  Chug a Lug

Congrats on the find!

Cali_KR

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »

Congrats, and like Vern said.....PIX  Camera

1968 GT500KR
2008 GT500KR

NorCal SAAC DRIVEN (past) Editor
SAAC national member since 1981
NorCal SAAC member since 1985
Team Shelby Pacific Region State Director
www.myclassiccars.net
Wedgeman

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:49:05 AM »

2011 Registry says it was sold in 1971 for $300.00......................"RIGHTEOUS BUCKS" PeelOut

427heaven

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »

Here are some specifics on my car. it is missing its original PI engine and in the engine bay sits a 69 428 scj. I am considering putting in my HOLMAN-MOODY dual  quad 427 medium riser race engine. On the east coast it had quite the reputation as the street brawler-racer when the in crowd used to say hey here comes that SHELBY!!! So I would like to bring it back to its glory days of the 1960's, didnt BRUCE sing a song about that? The car will go back together as a very nice fast driver with the emphasis on FAST. Driving performance-race cars never gets old does it? Since I am PHOTO CHALLENGED I will try to get some help with getting some pics up with the help of some friends. 300.00 must of been a good price when who ever was negotiating that deal could have been experiencing PURPLE HAZE with Janice and Jimmy. Different times for sure. Keep you posted Dennis PeelOut Party on

Wedgeman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »

Are you "SURE" you want to return it to the glory days of the 1960's? Registry says it had " BLUE CHEER" painted
on the fenders or doors,which referred to a type of LSD.

DUDE!........Like don't do it!!!!!!   WHOA!! Gotta Go, gettin' the munchies  Party on

427heaven

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »

Thats some funny SH-T right there! In my description referencing purple haze, it was (splained) to me that a previous owner swapped out the PI and slipped in a tunnel port and then may have had a TRIP or two while enjoying his ride. Anyone see the Jim Morrison SHELBY video? Something similar Im sure,anyways with a little bit of LUVIN she will be back to her younger years without any mind altering substances except mayby a brewski or two Lager Lager Cool one Hysterical

johnsshelby

oh honey, let me buy it......

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »

had a friend in the mid 1970's bought a 68 shelby while in a bar for 1 dollar.

66shelbyNZ

Sometimes the best things in life are not 'things'

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:09:09 AM »

had a friend in the mid 1970's bought a 68 shelby while in a bar for 1 dollar.

like to hear more of that story............

6s349

Boss302 L.S #43
427heaven

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »

Here goes what I am sure will be one of many questions regarding my car. I noticed on my factory ten spokes the outside texture of the wheels look like they were turned in a lathe if you look VERY closely, so on bringing them back to 1967 standards what is the correct finish to restore these wheels? Dennis

Bob Gaines

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »

Here goes what I am sure will be one of many questions regarding my car. I noticed on my factory ten spokes the outside texture of the wheels look like they were turned in a lathe if you look VERY closely, so on bringing them back to 1967 standards what is the correct finish to restore these wheels? Dennis
Your observations are correct. Turned in a lathe. Blast or what ever the inside between the spokes first and then do the lathe you can clean up the lathe residue after.Bob

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
427heaven

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »

OK- so lathe is correct, is it better to polish out those marks or leave the so called machined texture on the wheel. Now for the inner spokes are they grey, black,or aluminum finish? Undecided

Bob Gaines

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »

OK- so lathe is correct, is it better to polish out those marks or leave the so called machined texture on the wheel. Now for the inner spokes are they grey, black,or aluminum finish? Undecided
It all depends on how original you want it to look vs what everyone normally does. The smooth shiny polished look is what everyone does and it probably looks better cosmetically but it doesn't look original. What doesn't look better is if in the polishing process you round off all the edges. That looks cheesy IMHO. The centers originally were raw aluminum. Many people paint them. Bob

427heaven

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »

Another question regarding sleeping beauty. What was the steepest gear set that was available from the factory on any 1967 SHELBY- big or small block, since I have a 4.11 gearset was curious if this was after the factory or maybe special order for a drag type car during the model year built. Was there a location anywhere which might have indicated like a rear end tag etc. Cant find info anywhere. PeelOut    Dennis

Bob Gaines

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

Another question regarding sleeping beauty. What was the steepest gear set that was available from the factory on any 1967 SHELBY- big or small block, since I have a 4.11 gearset was curious if this was after the factory or maybe special order for a drag type car during the model year built. Was there a location anywhere which might have indicated like a rear end tag etc. Cant find info anywhere. PeelOut    Dennis
# 1947 was a 427 factory car built for drag racing . I don't have the registry handy but maybe someone else can look it up now that they know where to look or ask Dave Mathews Registrar. I know it has a low gear now but not sure of the ratio. It was a special order car and not a regular production car so what ever gear it had lower then a 3.50 would not be considered a factory option.  3.50 was the steepest gear a 4 speed GT500 would get. There were some early 67 showroom pamphlets that outlined odd stripe combinations and some proposed factory drag options that never came to pass . Much like the proposed 427 equipped 68 Shelby that never came to pass.  With the modifacations that you are making to the drivetrain and exterior of the car the gear set that will never be seen ( I guess someone could jack the car up and check the tire revolutions compared to the driveshaft if they wanted to tempt your wrath Hysterical ) would be the least of my concerns if I were you. I would do what is going to be best for what kind of driving you will be doing under the circumstances. Bob 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!