News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 Hipo Engine and Bracket/bolt Painting

Started by mygt350, January 18, 2021, 11:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygt350

What would the texture/gloss level be for the engine block which would include timing cover and water pump attaching bolts?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Rbwiii

Would the heater hose fitting on the intake also be painted black?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rbwiii on January 19, 2021, 03:17:05 PM
There is evidence to support both ways but a new elbow fitting was the most typical from photos and original cars. I am guessing it was problematic to remove the fitting (unlike the thermostat housing) without marring it up (metal and paint damage ) is the most logical reason .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

They are normally not painted on a '65 engine.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 19, 2021, 03:21:27 PM
There is evidence to support both ways but a new elbow fitting was the most typical from photos and original cars. I am guessing it was problematic to remove the fitting (unlike the thermostat housing) without marring it up (metal and paint damage ) is the most logical reason .

+1 more time and effort than installing a new one. The "fire sale" manifold and carburetors ( take offs ) were pictured with the fittings in them.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CharlesTurner

For whatever it's worth, the parts list for SFM5006 did not include an intake heater hose fitting.  There may have been a time where they were re-using the Ford stock intake fittings and then switched?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

mygt350

So assume hipo engines had heater fitting installed prior to being painted black. During the intake swap, SA removed the painted thermostat housing and reused the housing and the black painted bolts on the Cobra intake. SA may or may not have swapped the heater fitting. My really faded memory is that the fitting on 5S228 was natural and not painted black?????

gt350hr

Quote from: CharlesTurner on January 19, 2021, 04:28:09 PM
For whatever it's worth, the parts list for SFM5006 did not include an intake heater hose fitting.  There may have been a time where they were re-using the Ford stock intake fittings and then switched?

Charles,
       At that time I think things were more relaxed ( at Venice) than when they got to the airport and production was in full swing. I think once they figured out how much time it cost , new ones were installed instead of reusing the originals. Just My Personal Opinion.
    Randy

J_Speegle

A few somewhat clear examples to help. Most are magazine pictures so these should be earlier cars. Upper left is 5S114 for example. Unfortunately they are black and white pictures so we are left to compare finished by tone of the elbow and surround part finishes.

Since the threads isn't so far, specific to a certain production period, we must not forget to mention the late "black intake" cars because those would have been painted along with the intake manifold by mistake.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

The heater tube on 5S114 really appears natural and I will go with that but make note some black tubes may have been removed from the black painted iron intakes and installed on Cobra intakes and leave the transition date to a follow on discussion about the markings (or lack of) on each specific bolt.

J_Speegle

Quote from: mygt350 on January 19, 2021, 06:15:07 PM
The heater tube on 5S114 really appears natural and I will go with that but make note some black tubes may have been removed from the black painted iron intakes and installed on Cobra intakes and leave the transition date to a follow on discussion about the markings (or lack of) on each specific bolt.

Now remember that "natural" just means unpainted for some people. You will need to assure that you have one plated correctly ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on January 19, 2021, 06:15:07 PM
The finish is most typically zinc dichromate which is gold. I wouldn't be surprised to find some silver. That chromate coating wears off easily . Underneath the coating is silver because the chromate has to have a zinc base to stick to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

+1 Bob ,
       I have had more than one NOS that were zinc without the gold dichromate. It is also important to note that the plating was "industrial quality" , more like a "flash plating" to curb rust that a "current" trip to the plater part would be. this is why many have rust on them after all these years. I know mine does.
   Randy

Dan Case

Quote from: gt350hr on January 20, 2021, 11:00:50 AM
   +1 Bob ,
       I have had more than one NOS that were zinc without the gold dichromate. It is also important to note that the plating was "industrial quality" , more like a "flash plating" to curb rust that a "current" trip to the plater part would be. this is why many have rust on them after all these years. I know mine does.
   Randy

+1 New cars were never intended to stay assembly line fresh. Most components were not considered 'appearance' items. Anything not specified as what we use to call Class A Appearance might have only had 16 hours to a few days of corrosion protection in mind when drawn up and costs calculated. I would not have trouble believing that many mechanical parts only had to be corrosion free long enough to get installed. (I did not work in automotive but I did work in a manufacturing and assembly plant for 37 years and some parts just had to be clean enough for operators to be able to safely handle and install them. How they looked later was not a concern at all. Even some of the bulk steel and aluminum purchased in large coils only had to be protected from corrosion so stamping dies and roll mills would not get fouled with corrosion byproducts. If the parts corroded a little later it didn't matter as long as production operators didn't have safety or installation issues.)
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

Sorry Dan ,
         My information came from seeing the notations on various Ford blue prints over the years. The heater elbow in question would not have one spec for assembly line and another for Parts and Service division. I doubt they were ever ''bare steel" on the blueprint.