News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Export Brace at Cowl Finishes, etc?

Started by hertz350, January 10, 2021, 02:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: S7MS427 on January 16, 2021, 09:59:04 PM
Anybody have a part number for that angle?  I've never seen one.
It should be on your 66 Shelby 6S817. It may be camouflaged by heavy sealer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

S7MS427

Must be well camouflaged, I've never seen it in the 42+ years I've been taking care of the car.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Bob Gaines

Quote from: S7MS427 on January 17, 2021, 11:52:50 AM
Must be well camouflaged, I've never seen it in the 42+ years I've been taking care of the car.
If it isn't under all of that sealer (which it probably is ) then it would be considered a problem given it was typical for all  65/66 GT 350's to have it. It was done at Ford as part of the export package . Not saying that this is a problem with your car because more then likely you have overlooked seeing it but a cowl missing the extra brace is a typical mistake made on rebodied cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

davez

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 17, 2021, 01:17:25 PM
If it isn't under all of that sealer (which it probably is ) then it would be considered a problem given it was typical for all  65/66 GT 350's to have it. It was done at Ford as part of the export package . Not saying that this is a problem with your car because more then likely you have overlooked seeing it but a cowl missing the extra brace is a typical mistake made on rebodied cars.

Bob
I think he's looking for the actual part number on the part. Not the part itself. It looks to me as if he has his original part  where the welds were ground away and the part was removed from the car. He's holding the part in one of the pics. Am I misreading this?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: davez on January 17, 2021, 01:30:21 PM

Bob
I think he's looking for the actual part number on the part. Not the part itself. It looks to me as if he has his original part  where the welds were ground away and the part was removed from the car. He's holding the part in one of the pics. Am I misreading this?
Yes you did misread . hertz350 is the one that posted the picture holding the brace and asking the initial questions. S7MS427 is the one saying he has never seen that part on his car in 42 years of ownership (of 6S817).I responded to his post and quoted him. 

davez

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 17, 2021, 02:33:10 PM

Bob
Yes you did misread . hertz350 is the one that posted the picture holding the brace and asking the initial questions. S7MS427 is the one saying he has never seen that part on his car in 42 years of ownership (of 6S817).I responded to his post and quoted him.

Ok
S7ms427 was looking for its specific part number or a number stamped into the part

Bob Gaines

Quote from: davez on January 17, 2021, 03:32:19 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 17, 2021, 02:33:10 PM

Bob

Ok
S7ms427 was looking for its specific part number or a number stamped into the part
FYI there is no part or engineering number stamped into that part. I am not sure if it was ever serviced or not.

S7MS427

If it isn't under all of that sealer (which it probably is ) then it would be considered a problem given it was typical for all  65/66 GT 350's to have it. It was done at Ford as part of the export package. Not saying that this is a problem with your car because more then likely you have overlooked seeing it but a cowl missing the extra brace is a typical mistake made on rebodied cars.

OK Guys, let me clear this up.

Bob, I think you read way too much into my question which was what was the part number for the export reinforcement angle.  That's the entire question, not that the part was missing from the car.  Please reread the question and please, please don't look for issues where there are none.

Bob
I think he's looking for the actual part number on the part. Not the part itself. It looks to me as if he has his original part where the welds were ground away and the part was removed from the car. He's holding the part in one of the pics. Am I misreading this?

Well Davez pretty much nailed it as to the question although it was the OP who had removed the angle.

6S817 has been in my family since November 1978, first with my dad and then upon his passing in November 2009, with me.  The car is not a rebody.  I sent the Ford VIN to Howard who verified that the Ford VIN was a match for the Shelby VIN per the factory paperwork.  When purchased, the car also came with the original number matching block.  I sent a picture of that stamping to Howard as well to which he promptly replied that even after all these years the Ford VIN was still a match.

The export reinforcement angle, to my knowledge, has never been off the car.  I do have under hood pictures posted on my website (as well as the entire history of the car from 1978 on) if you'd care to take a look (http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm).  Through the years I've spent considerable amounts of time collecting Shelby unique part numbers and this is one part that has eluded me through the years which is what initially prompted my question.

I know this is a rather strong response to your post but that one word "rebody" set me off and this is how rumors can get started ("Hey, I read somewhere that that car might be a rebody").   And yes, I know you didn't specifically say that my car was a rebody.  I know there are a lot of rebodies out there but this is NOT one.  In fact I'm sure you have seen the car either at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle or one of the conventions in the eastern third of the country and I'm positive you would have commented had the export reinforcement angle been missing.  I do appreciate that a missing export reinforcement angle would be a tip off to a rebody.  I don't think most people are even aware that the part even exists.  And I'm a bit sensitive to my VIN and the word rebody appearing in the same post.  Some might make a connection where none exists.

OK, I've said my piece and will now get down off my soap box.  ;)
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Bob Gaines

Quote from: S7MS427 on January 17, 2021, 06:43:00 PM
If it isn't under all of that sealer (which it probably is ) then it would be considered a problem given it was typical for all  65/66 GT 350's to have it. It was done at Ford as part of the export package. Not saying that this is a problem with your car because more then likely you have overlooked seeing it but a cowl missing the extra brace is a typical mistake made on rebodied cars.

OK Guys, let me clear this up.

Bob, I think you read way too much into my question which was what was the part number for the export reinforcement angle.  That's the entire question, not that the part was missing from the car.  Please reread the question and please, please don't look for issues where there are none.

Bob
I think he's looking for the actual part number on the part. Not the part itself. It looks to me as if he has his original part where the welds were ground away and the part was removed from the car. He's holding the part in one of the pics. Am I misreading this?

Well Davez pretty much nailed it as to the question although it was the OP who had removed the angle.

6S817 has been in my family since November 1978, first with my dad and then upon his passing in November 2009, with me.  The car is not a rebody.  I sent the Ford VIN to Howard who verified that the Ford VIN was a match for the Shelby VIN per the factory paperwork.  When purchased, the car also came with the original number matching block.  I sent a picture of that stamping to Howard as well to which he promptly replied that even after all these years the Ford VIN was still a match.

The export reinforcement angle, to my knowledge, has never been off the car.  I do have under hood pictures posted on my website (as well as the entire history of the car from 1978 on) if you'd care to take a look (http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm).  Through the years I've spent considerable amounts of time collecting Shelby unique part numbers and this is one part that has eluded me through the years which is what initially prompted my question.

I know this is a rather strong response to your post but that one word "rebody" set me off and this is how rumors can get started ("Hey, I read somewhere that that car might be a rebody").   And yes, I know you didn't specifically say that my car was a rebody.  I know there are a lot of rebodies out there but this is NOT one.  In fact I'm sure you have seen the car either at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle or one of the conventions in the eastern third of the country and I'm positive you would have commented had the export reinforcement angle been missing.  I do appreciate that a missing export reinforcement angle would be a tip off to a rebody.  I don't think most people are even aware that the part even exists.  And I'm a bit sensitive to my VIN and the word rebody appearing in the same post.  Some might make a connection where none exists.

OK, I've said my piece and will now get down off my soap box.  ;)
Take a pill man you are going to have a heart attack . I said two different times that I thought you were just mistaken "which it probably is ) " and again  " Not saying that this is a problem with your car because more then likely you have overlooked seeing it " if that does not make it clear I was not suggesting your car was a rebody then you let your tunnel vision get the best of you. That is your problem not mine.    I read -"Must be well camouflaged, I've never seen it in the 42+ years I've been taking care of the car."Taking that statement at face value you were saying that you were disputing the existence because you had never seen it given your long ownership. I thought I was explaining about it's existence in a nice polite way suggesting you overlooked it instead of questioning your apparent total lack of knowledge about the subject.  Your parnoia not withstanding if you make a misinformed statement with such a strong feeling that you are right like - "I've never seen it in the 42+ " expect push back polite or otherwise. 

gt350hr

The angle plate never had a part number "stamped" on it that "I" have seen. It "might" be noted in a '65 or 66 body assembly manual and I don't have mine with me as I type this , so I will have to defer to the detectives that can look at one. There was "some" number applied to it as ALL Ford parts used at assembly plants HAD to have part numbers. Ink , stencil , hand stamped , machine stamped , hand written , etc.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.