News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Waterless coolant

Started by deathsled, March 30, 2018, 09:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Hello Gentlemen,

Does anyone have any experience with Evans waterless coolant?  I am suitably intrigued by the concept.
https://www.evanscoolant.com/

Best regards,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

zray

in my view, it's just a bandaid for not fixing the root cause of any actual (not imagined) overheating.

if the misleading info found on the Evan's site is any indication of their corporate ethics, I'll pass on having the pleasure and expense of using there product.

....recently posted on another topic:

here:  http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1171.msg9983#msg9983    )

note,  found a lot of misleading info on the Evans waterless coolant website:

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/benefits/no-overheating/

".....Water turns into steam at 212°F. Mixing traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze with water in a 50-50 ratio increases the boiling point to 223°F, which is close to the operating temperature of an engine. Evans waterless coolants have a boiling point of over 375°F, far above the operating temperature of the engine....."

They conveniently leave out the fact that when the system is pressurized, the boiling point of 50/50 antifreeze is much much higher than 223 F. Really now, some of us do understand what the radiator cap is for !!!

NOTE:  at the bottom of the page Evan's does mention that pressurized systems have a higher boiling point, only to poo-poo the effectiveness of  the pressure on actual boiling point. not impressed .

Z

deathsled

Here is an article contra to Evans.  I think I will go with status quo on this idea therefore.

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

zray

Bob Gaines

Quote from: zray on March 31, 2018, 01:39:54 AM
Nice find.

Z
I agree. I never knew. The 100% replacement of water /old coolant kept me from trying it in the past. I'm now glad it did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tinman

Evans coolant also has a low flash point. When it hits a hot exhaust you can have a nice fire. I have seen it happen 20+ years ago when we ran it in a 24hr. cycle test engine dyno.
Mike

NC TRACKRAT

As stated, the stuff is flammable and slippery.  Who wants to spin in their own "juices"?  I run plain water with WatterWetter in my track car and have never overheated, even in July at VIR when my oil temp is at 240F.
5S071, 6S1467

propayne

Very informative thread. I too was curious about this Evans product - thanks for starting the thread deathsled.

I'd also like to hear more about WatterWetter.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

gt350hr

I am going to sell the Evans I have and buy some norosion. Nascar teams don't use Evans and they have unlimited budgets/testing. When I asked one of my contacts with a major team , he just laughed and said there was a reason they run water and it wasn't cost.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

zray

Quote from: gt350hr on April 03, 2018, 06:53:09 PM
   I am going to sell the Evans I have and buy some norosion. Nascar teams don't use Evans and they have unlimited budgets/testing. When I asked one of my contacts with a major team , he just laughed and said there was a reason they run water and it wasn't cost.
     Randy

Am interested in hearing any observations you might have about norosion vs. waterwetter .

Z

427heaven

Water with( water wetter) is whats allowed in all forms of circle track, road racing,because it is a phenomenal cooling agent and dries with out the slippery mess coolant leaves behind. If any one dumps coolant for ANY reason on these tracks you are banned for the season, that would suck- So its not worth messing with. I have been using water wetter in all my race cars the last 15 years or so and love it,yes you can see the difference on your gauges. NASCAR engines can live in the 230-240 range where Joe Schmoes engine would not be long for this world at those temps. Is paying 12.00 to loose 15 degrees worth it, lots of racers think so. Try it you will like it- ;)

propayne

Some questions (which I know I could go out and find, but I'm lazy)

Is it best just to run only distilled water and WaterWetter (no antifreeze)?

Does adding a bottle of WaterWetter to your 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze have any benefit?

Thanks -

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

zray

Quote from: propayne on April 04, 2018, 07:48:58 AM
Some questions (which I know I could go out and find, but I'm lazy)

Should the WaterWetter replace the antifreeze? In other words, you are running with only water and WaterWetter?

Does adding a bottle of WaterWetter to your 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze have any benefit?

Thanks -

- Phillip

Yes, if your local climate ( temperatures ) are above freezing, so there is no danger the block cracking, you can certainly use 100% distilled water plus the water wetter. 

According to the link posted above, there are benefits to using water water with a 50/50 mix.

Note: when I must use antifreeze, the Prestone Low Tox has worked very well in my classics, and it won't kill your pet if they drink some that has spilled via the overflow tube, etc. it's not sweet and pets aren't attracted to it.

Z

vtgt500

Quote from: zray on March 30, 2018, 09:56:02 PM
in my view, it's just a bandaid for not fixing the root cause of any actual (not imagined) overheating.

if the misleading info found on the Evan's site is any indication of their corporate ethics, I'll pass on having the pleasure and expense of using there product.

....recently posted on another topic:

here:  http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1171.msg9983#msg9983    )

note,  found a lot of misleading info on the Evans waterless coolant website:

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/benefits/no-overheating/

".....Water turns into steam at 212°F. Mixing traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze with water in a 50-50 ratio increases the boiling point to 223°F, which is close to the operating temperature of an engine. Evans waterless coolants have a boiling point of over 375°F, far above the operating temperature of the engine....."

They conveniently leave out the fact that when the system is pressurized, the boiling point of 50/50 antifreeze is much much higher than 223 F. Really now, some of us do understand what the radiator cap is for !!!

NOTE:  at the bottom of the page Evan's does mention that pressurized systems have a higher boiling point, only to poo-poo the effectiveness of  the pressure on actual boiling point. not impressed .

Z

Agree.
I have run 1:1 mix of Prestone and deionized water in my vehicles forever.  Never witnessed any evidence of corrosion.  My 10:1 compression, 483 HP side oiler with a 30 year old, OEM, 4-core radiator will run all day at the 160 deg thermostat setting.

What am I missing?