The Official SAAC Forum
July 22, 2014, 02:00:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car pull to right  (Read 1045 times)
Shawn

1807 New in El Paso

« on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

i have had my 70 in the shop twice and its there now.  After replacing the front suspension i took it for front end alignment.  The car pulls to the right and they are telling me front end is dead on.  Is there a problem with the PS components that can cause this pull? Ram, control valve etc.

trotrof1

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »

Could be the Rt brake caliper is not releasing or brake hose is restricted. Possible tire pull, try swapping front tires to opposite sides. Did the alignment shop give you a printout of before and after specs?

Shawn

1807 New in El Paso

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »

Brakes are OK and tires were balanced.  I did get a printout of front end specs and all is fine there as well

GT350Shelb

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »

tires will wear   and cause a pull if front end has been out of alignment for a long time .

try moving rear tires to front  or swapping fronts left to right and see if pull changes   

A-Snake

CSX2321

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »

Could be the Rt brake caliper is not releasing or brake hose is restricted. Possible tire pull, try swapping front tires to opposite sides. Did the alignment shop give you a printout of before and after specs?

If it's a brake hose problem it would be with the left front hose being restricted if it pulls to the right. How did you determine that the brake hoses are OK?

Shasmu

Shasta Mustang Supply

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »

i have had my 70 in the shop twice and its there now.  After replacing the front suspension i took it for front end alignment.  The car pulls to the right and they are telling me front end is dead on.  Is there a problem with the PS components that can cause this pull? Ram, control valve etc.
Control valve malfunction can be verified by jacking the front end up and starting the engine. If the wheels turn to the right automatically, suspect a power steering control valve problem.

Shawn

1807 New in El Paso

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:50 AM »

Just to clarify the car drifts off to the right under normal driving.  The shop got the car fixed, they had to bring in an "OLD GUY" to fine tune adjustments.  All is Okay now.  thanks for the pointers.  Shawn

stickshift

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »

All of the above are correct but in addition to what has been said, rear leaf springed cars can also cause this condition. Leafs can cause an over/understeer condition. For instance, if the center to center distance from the right center line of the axles is different, the car will pull, or more correctly steer to one side or the other, slightly that is.
The other more likely scenario here though is that you had been driving a car that has handling characteristics that no longer exist, this is the correct one now, and you need to get used to it.

Frankly, I would question the "right on" specs aspects of the alighnment. It doesn't matter how accutate the "digital alighnment" machine is at all. Set the specs, by trial and error, until it handles where YOU want it to.

In my opinion, MINE, set the toe in to 3/16 to 1/4", after centering the steering wheel; the camber to at least -3/4 degrees (-1 is better), and caster to 2-1/2 degrees ON BOTH SIDES.

With the age of this vehicle, you do need to consider that the chassis itself is twisted in the horizontal plane and it may even be varying as you drive it. Throw away the "book" on the specs. In plain English it is wrong, and 2) throw the freakin' "expert" out of the "freakin" building and tell him to get a life. You have to play with the settings until the car feels right. End of story. Welcome to vintage high  performance cars.

...and it is worth mentioning that you may be able to fix this all simply by varying the tire air pressures, unequally, until it feels right. Technically that would be correct since the air pressures should be in proportion to the individual tire loadings which are not equal on this car. Put a truck scale under each tire and weigh each corner and you will start to see the light.

Tire stagger can also make the car pull. Check your od of each of your tires.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:49:05 PM by stickshift » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!