The Official SAAC Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:04:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelby/SAAC MkI, MkII, Snakes; General info and literature.  (Read 10864 times)
richstang

« on: June 08, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »

It looks like I've been nominated as the Mod. I'm glad to help and share what I have on these rare / limited production cars. A big thanks to Ron / SAAC for adding this section. I hope all those with infomation will chime in and share some history of the people behind these special cars and how they came to be. There really is no better place than the SAAC forum (and other SAAC publishments) for these cars to be discussed and appreciated.
 Cool one

From the 1997 SAAC registry, it is noted there were only 65 cars in total made, this include prototypes. I'd like to share share some images of the original brochures, sell sheets, and some b&w photos that I believe were part of a sales packet. On top of that I've got about 100 photos from the web of various cars and colors that I'll post from time to time.

This first brochure is the Shelby MKI (listed as a 1992 Model) and noted as only available to SAAC members. From the registry, I believe, only 37 of these were made (I like that number) This included an "R" model, a drag car (I'll post an magazine photo/article), a certification car, a few prototypes, and the regular production cars all hatchbacks in white with blue stripes.

Rich

* MK I pg1.jpg (48.48 KB, 800x1062 - viewed 99 times.)

* MK I pg2.jpg (130.03 KB, 800x1031 - viewed 111 times.)

* MK I pg3.jpg (157.55 KB, 800x1032 - viewed 137 times.)

* MK I pg4.jpg (33.9 KB, 800x1031 - viewed 101 times.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:30:12 PM by richstang » Logged
Cobrask8
SAAC Nat'l Coordinator of Regions

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

I got to drive the prototype at the1992 Fords at Englishtown. Vince Liska had it, and had brought it down to display it and run it.

It was white with the blue stripes.

Official Home of CHEPSK8 RACING TEAM

PxTx

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »

This new section is very exciting!  I would love to hear about the single "R" model.  While surfing the site, I did find this old picture from SAAC in Vegas.  Does anyone know what the story is with this hood on the car? 

richstang

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »

I don't think I have any info on the "R" model version. I'll keep looking through my stuff.

That custom hood looks like an aftermarket "Cervani" hood which I think has functional scoops. That might help keep things cooler on a desert based car, and keep the stock hood from getting chipped up on the front nose section from the highway runs.

richstang

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »

Here's the '92 SAAC MKII sales sheet...two sided.
I have conflicting info that there were either 17 or 19 built. Can someone confirm the numbers?

Cobrask8;
It must have been cool to drive the prototype. Did you run it down the track or was it more of a mild test drive?

* MKII 92 SAAC a - Copy.jpg (190.58 KB, 800x1050 - viewed 150 times.)

* MKII 92 SAAC b - Copy.jpg (12.92 KB, 783x1018 - viewed 165 times.)
PxTx

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »

I don't think I have any info on the "R" model version. I'll keep looking through my stuff.

My bubby DiRusso found this little blurb while looking over some of the doccuments that came wiht the #004 car.

Basically for the search engine benefit, the SAAC MkI R model seems to have been an "off-road only" car that was lightweight, 425hp 351C engine, bigger brakes, etc.

richstang

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »

^^
According to the '97 SAAC Registry, only 1 MKI "R" model version was ordered (from an enthusiast in Peru) but due to polical circumstances it was canceled and never completed. It sounds like it would have been a terror on the track. I wonder how far along it was developed. Anyone?

Here's the '93 MKII sales sheet...two-sided.

* MKII 93 SAAC a - Copy.jpg (158.01 KB - downloaded 76 times.)

* MKII 93 SAAC b - Copy.jpg (170.68 KB, 798x1041 - viewed 193 times.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:45:20 PM by richstang » Logged
Cobrask8
SAAC Nat'l Coordinator of Regions

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 07:31:33 AM »

Richstang -

We ran it all over the pits in fake slaloms, and down the quarter mile. I forget the times, but I want to say either low 14's or high 13's?

I do not remember exactly if it had the Cervini hood or not.

Official Home of CHEPSK8 RACING TEAM

richstang

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »

Richstang -

We ran it all over the pits in fake slaloms, and down the quarter mile. I forget the times, but I want to say either low 14's or high 13's?

I do not remember exactly if it had the Cervini hood or not.

Dan,
It sounds like you had some fun.

Here's a picture from back in the day, perhaps at the SAAC convention introduction in '92 or '93.
-You can see the white SAAC Mustang in the right side of the picture with Cervini scooped hood.
-Also, there is a black SAAC Mustang with white stripes. Anyone know the story on that car (since black cars only came with gold stripes)?

* MKII 2.jpg (2.92 KB, 500x274 - viewed 1128 times.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:45:49 PM by richstang » Logged
PxTx

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »

That is a super cool picture Rich!  If you look at the car with the Cervini hood, you'll see the stripes are different in that picture than the one I posted earlier in the thread above.  There is a good chance more than one car had that hood, as the stripes seem to have evolved.

The Black car is also neat.  The first part of the tag reads BLK, but can't make out the other half.  The picture is named MKII_2.jpg so Maybe it is from 1993 and holds some key to the MKII color combo's.  They were doing black cars and red cars with white stripes.  Not much of a streach to create this one.

richstang

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »

Paul,
You're right about the stripe being different on the Cervini hood car. Good eyes, I hadn't notice that. It could be the same car at an earlier time or another with the same hood.

The '93 MKII sales sheet only mentions gold stripes available on the black paint. I assumed it was either a special order or changed by the owner. After digging through my old files I found 2 pictures of a black car with white stripes, no plates and what looks like a temp tag in the rear window. It's very hard to tell in these small pics but, they look like MKII logos on the quarter windows.

I have an OCD habit of tracking unique cars with photos such as these. Everytime one comes up for sale I note the car number on the photos and save them in my files.
 Head knock

* 93 SAAC black 1.jpg (14.46 KB, 353x170 - viewed 114 times.)

* 93 SAAC black 2.jpg (2.04 KB, 398x223 - viewed 113 times.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:08:07 AM by richstang » Logged
richstang

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

The Black car is also neat.  The first part of the tag reads BLK, but can't make out the other half.  The picture is named MKII_2.jpg so Maybe it is from 1993 and holds some key to the MKII color combo's.  They were doing black cars and red cars with white stripes.  Not much of a streach to create this one.

I checked my photo with Zoom and the plate on the Black w white stripe car reads "BLKSAAC". Did some further seaching on the web and came up with another photo of this car on Flickr. It's copywrited so I won't post it. The location was the SAAC convention in Watkins Glen July 7, 1993. With only 3 Mk II hatchbacks built, and the other 2 cars in different colors, it's most likely the same black car in all the photos.
 HeadSpin

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:54:50 PM by richstang » Logged
richstang

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »

Here's the sales sheet for the '93 SAAC Snake, again two-sided. Only 11 made of these, all 5-speeds.

I'll ask but, I'm guessing no. Were any of these made with a red, or blue interior?

* SAAC Snake1 - Copy.jpg (99.9 KB, 527x701 - viewed 119 times.)

* SAAC Snake2 - Copy.jpg (8.09 KB, 593x793 - viewed 114 times.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:56:08 PM by richstang » Logged
PxTx

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »

I'm not the guy to answer your question, but I do want to understand it.  Are you talking about full red or blue leather as the primary color?

Here is a red convertible with a white gut and red accents.  Also there is a red car with a black gut too.

http://www.gt-enduro.com/index_files/Page385.htm

Wasn't there a MkI with a yellow gut too?

richstang

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

I'm not the guy to answer your question, but I do want to understand it.  Are you talking about full red or blue leather as the primary color?
Here is a red convertible with a white gut and red accents.  Also there is a red car with a black gut too.
http://www.gt-enduro.com/index_files/Page385.htm
Wasn't there a MkI with a yellow gut too?

On the '93 SAAC Snake sales sheet it lists five interior color choices; black, white, grey, red, or blue. I would think these colors were for full cloth interiors only, as the standard equip.
I've only seen all black, all white, and white seats with gray panels / lower dash for leather interior cars. I've never seen any yellow accents on interiors only gold accents on black w/ gold stripes cars.

Thanks for posting the link! I've been to that web page a while back. It's very likely that's where I've found a few of my pictures, very fuzzy pics, but still better than nothing.

I will keep posting info here. Next up will be the B&W press pack photos. I'm still trying to find a few more of my magazines with articles from back in the day.
 Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:09:25 PM by richstang » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!