The Official SAAC Forum
October 31, 2014, 09:59:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roasted Nuts? Ideas for the convention  (Read 3334 times)
vernonestes

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »

Maybe we could have a line up of  cars  that owners are willing to let  people sit in  one afternoon .

Agreed  Cool one

steele138
skeptic since 1974

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

the line up and photos idea is a great idea! Will borrow that one for Mid America, cannot say enough about giving kids rides, Shelby fest had shuttles to take spouses to shopping/ vineyards

Scott

" I hate to advocate the use of drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone;but its always worked for me"
Hunter S Thompson
DC-DD

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »

When I was sitting in line for the lunch laps there was a gentleman and a young boy standing at the fence.  I had been looking around for a kid to give a ride to and there he was.  Still in the car I pointed to him and waived him to come for the ride.  He as 13 and thrilled at the opportunity.  I drove the '69 Aqua GT350.  I even gave him my camera to take some pictures for me to make him feel all that much more important. 

There are many, many things on my list for improvements for next year since I was the one that ran the car show and did not look at the schedule ahead of time to realize they have the lunch laps right in the middle of the car show.  I also did not know that they were going to do a photo op for the '66 Shelbys at 11:00, too.  Also, trust me, it was not my idea to charge extra and I have been making my feelings known about the car show on Sunday for years - - - it should be Saturday.  As for the two car shows, SVT always has a judged show and we have a popular vote show so we did not want people from each Club to have fit into the other Club's type of show thus two shows.  Happen again?Huh?!?!?

Going back to having the convention as Thurs., Fri. and Saturday with the evening program on Saturday makes a ton of sense.  I think a lot of people feel the evening program is a 'wrap' up of the convention so in their mind it is time to head home after it is over. 

I do think the Concours and Popular Vote winners do deserve a quick mention at the evening program, yes, we can all read about it later but at the same time a lot of these people have spent a lot of time and money getting their cars in shape to be there and .... Aren't the cars what brings us all together in the first place and then we have made great friendships.  Come on, it is not just a eat and run type of thing. 

We, the core volunteers, have a lot of work ahead of us for next year whether it be car show, concours, the dinner, etc.  Since a lot of you know me and know I have 'strong' thoughts on things, I do step up to the plate and work to try and make these events better for everyone.   year

Next year we be looking for a few more people that will be willing to sign up for specific tasks, if they only do it for 1/2 a day.  If we can do this then we will free up some of the time of the core people that are spending the entire convention working and not getting the opportunity to kick back for one day to drive the parade laps, talk with friends and also meet people roaming around, see what cars have showed up, etc.  Give it some thought, it really does give you more of a feeling of being a part of the Club instead of just a member of the Club. 

Looking forward to stepping it up for next year.

PeelOut

Diana   

car 26-JD

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »

I too feel it is important to acknowledge the concours cars at the dinner, it doesn't take long and the work and expense of the owners, restorers, the judges is deserved and they should know before leaving just how they did and visitors would like to know as well.   

It was really good when they showed the cars with the owners name the division and the finishing place.  The photos help, you don't really know the cars by the owners name  read off a list. (I think maybe Diana and Brian had a lot to do with making that happen before?)

I'll give rides, especially to younger persons, but they or parent needs to ask.  I'm not going to solicit people, especially kids. 

And I'll answer any questions (as best I can) or let someone look or sit in the car, but again I'm not going to start asking strangers "do you want to see...."  If there is a designated place to park the car and be available to answer questions or stuff and my car is at the event I'll do it.  It might be helpful if daily there were a place where like years of cars could park a side from spectator parking?

I paid to get in the Sunday car show to donate to the club, I didn't put the envelope on the windshield.  The "Early '67" guys wanted to do a group photo so we were out in left field - red light district - part of the time and then went to participate in the "lunch laps".

Most of the Shelby guys and gals I have meet are pretty average and the economy, family-holiday weekend when school is still in for many and fuel at $4.00 or more is going to hurt participation.  I thought it was another great event and thank all that worked so hard to make it happen and to those that bring their cars.  Maybe after school is out and not a family-holiday weekend would help?  And the parking lot browsing and visiting at the end of the evening is great.

Autobahn sounds good to me for SAAC 37.

JD - Car 26

1967 GT350 - car #26
NC TRACKRAT

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »

At the first instructor's meeting on Friday a.m., we were told not to give rides to anyone other than our assigned student/s.  However I saw numerous solo drivers giving rides to a variety of personnel, many not even registered as students.  I would've loved to have given rides to a number of folks.  Fully realizing the implications of club liability, I suggest that rules be reviewed and, once made, promulgated and enforced...uniformly.  With respect to the banquet, I concur with the observation that it went on far too long, ad nauseum.  Other than the above, we had a blast!

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
stickshift

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 06:07:21 AM »

How about rentable go carts?

1109RWHP

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

I believe they do have carts to rent on the go cart track.

Rodster-500

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »

Would be cool to invite Jay Leno and his car..... maybe he would do a monolog for us at the banquet.  Grin

The 'giant sucking sound' has been heard loud and clear....
66shelby
ExCarryover Owner &

DRIVEN...The way Carroll Shelby intended.

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »

idea  I'd like to see Dan Gurney as a guest speaker.  Popcorn

Its better to be a racer for a minute, than a spectator for a lifetime.
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »

Would be cool to invite Jay Leno and his car..... maybe he would do a monolog for us at the banquet.  Grin

I always thought this would be a great idea too.  I'll bet he would do it if his schedule allowed.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang
Rodster-500

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »

He'd probably be glad to hear from you Brant!  Grin

The 'giant sucking sound' has been heard loud and clear....
Doug C

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »

He might even show up to a convention if it's in S. CA.  I have seen him at numerous S. CA events.

66 "Red" Shelby Hertz, 2007 Shelby GT and 55 Nomad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!