Author Topic: Adusting Exterior Mirrors  (Read 1596 times)

RSOHC

• View Profile
Adusting Exterior Mirrors
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:47:51 PM »
I am having problems adjusting both exterior mirrors.  I have determined that there are two adjustment screws for each mirror.  The interior screw appears to have a 5/16 socket head and a flat screw driver head.  The exterior screw is adjusted with a phillips screw driver.  Also, I have purchased a tool to tighten the fitting on the driver side door panel but the four tangs on the tool do not fit tightly on the fitting.   Any assistance would be appreciated.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Adusting Exterior Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
There is only one exterior oem mirror. It is on the drivers door. It has a very limited adjustment. One phillips screw on the base.

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:12 PM »
There is only one exterior oem mirror. It is on the drivers door. It has a very limited adjustment. One phillips screw on the base.
My KR had remote passenger side mirror so i always assumed it was original ,where there aftermarket remote passenger side mirrors made ? because when i went to replace it we couldn't find one ,so opted to use a non remote replacement but the original was functional & i just figured it was part of the Visibility Group listed on my Marti report,you can see it in this pic thanks .
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 06:59:05 AM »
Only on mirror was installed by the factory. Many owners add a mirror to balance the look of the car. Passenger mirrors were available for other models and from aftermarket sources. Typically they were not remote.

I would add all 68 Shelbys were built to the same option list, with very few exceptions. The visibility group does not include a passenger exterior mirror.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:03:08 AM by Coralsnake »

RSOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:48:51 PM »
For reference, here are some photos of my mirrors.

Photo 2360 is the passenger side mirror
Photo 2342 is one of two of the driver side mirror
Photo 2352 is a second photo of the driver side mirror

All mirrors are offered by Scott Drake

RSOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
For the passenger side mirror, CJponyparts has a series of pictures and words for the installation.  They can be found at “cjponyparts.com/mustang-passengers-side-mirror-kit-1967-1968-installation”

Here are the instructions after the mounting holes have been installed.  I have added some words for clarification.

10. Test fit the Mustang exterior mirror, but just snug it up.  It will need to come back off to do the final adjustments.
11. Loosen the adjustment screw to angle the mirror in and level the top.  This screw is the one visible when the mirror is installed.  A phillips screw driver is used to make this adjustment.  There is another adjustment screw located inside the stem for the mirror.  This adjustment is done later and will be done using a flat tip screw driver.
12.  Get in the car and check the view.
13. Take the mirror off and loosen the screw inside the stem and rotate the head toward the driver. 
14.  The head should rotate approximately 30 degrees.
15.  Reattach the mirror and check the view again.
16.  Remove the mirror one last time and tighten up all the adjustment screws, then reattach and enjoy.