News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Securing Battery in Tray

Started by SHELB66, March 27, 2018, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELB66

Many of the newer, non-original type car batteries do not have the ridge on the bottom edge for the battery hold down bracket to rest on.  Consequently, the battery is free to bounce up and down.  In my case, the hold down bracket just butts up against the battery and doesn't do much good.  Any thoughts on how to remedy this situation without looking too tacky?  I was thinking of taking a piece of fuel line and slitting it lengthwise then sliding it over the edge of the bracket.  This would take up the excess space and allow me to tighten down the bracket against the battery.  I could also lay a small spacer inside the fender side of the battery tray to bring the battery itself closer to the hold down bracket.  This would allow the bracket to tighten up against the battery.  Anyone else have an idea to share?  By the way, the car in question is my '66 Hertz.  Thanks much!

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

NC TRACKRAT

Buy an Exide 24F battery.  They have the hold-down rib in the correct location.  Tractor Supply and Home Depot carry Exide. Without a secure hold-down method, you risk severe damage in a hard-braking situation or, Heaven forbid, a wreck.
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on March 27, 2018, 06:13:07 PM
Buy an Exide 24F battery.  They have the hold-down rib in the correct location.  Tractor Supply and Home Depot carry Exide. Without a secure hold-down method, you risk severe damage in a hard-braking situation or, Heaven forbid, a wreck.
+1 .I  bought one a week ago for that exact reason.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

zray

the reproduction Autolite batteries also have the hold-down rib. And though not concours correct, they are better looking than the alternatives like the Exide.

But if you are driving the car more and showing it less, I'd suggest putting on the hold-down brackets from a '67 on your  battery of choice. It will be better secured than the early type hold-down.  You can always remove it in 5 minutes for a show if that matters to you.

Z

SHELB66

Thanks for the input everyone.  I already have the battery so I think I will go the '67 route with the over-the-top clamp.  Appears to be the most secure hence the safest.

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Don Johnston

Had to do the 67 tray and top bracket as unable to get the repo Autolite or Exide 24F batteries sent here.  No local dealers either.

6s1802

That's what I had to do with 6S1802, don't like it but I just couldn't find a battery with a lower lip.

Brant

This is a great alternative if you can't or don't want to go with a reproduction Autolite or Exide Battery:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-BATTERY-TRAY-KIT-WITH-TOP-HOLDDOWN-CLAMP-AND-HOLDDOWN-BOLTS-P1173.aspx
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gjz30075

The Bosch battery will also have the lip.   Found at Pep Boys, maybe other places, too.
Greg Z
6S2249

KR Convertible

You don't want to take chances using fuel line to take up the space.  I tried that as a teen and it didn't work.  Hard braking isn't too bad, but the teen lead-foot caused the battery to come out of the tray and end up on top of the alternator.  The alternator fan quickly chewed through the battery case and blew acid all over my fresh engine compartment.  What a mess!    >:(

Don Johnston

Very true.  The bungee cord hold down method is not a good option, especially for hard cornering.  Don't ask me how I know. 8)

SHELB66

Quote from: Brant on March 28, 2018, 08:36:56 AM
This is a great alternative if you can't or don't want to go with a reproduction Autolite or Exide Battery:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-BATTERY-TRAY-KIT-WITH-TOP-HOLDDOWN-CLAMP-AND-HOLDDOWN-BOLTS-P1173.aspx

Very nice alternative, Brant!  SOLD!

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac