Author Topic: 67 GT500 intake bolts  (Read 1992 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 GT500 intake bolts
« on: November 30, 2020, 07:10:08 AM »
What do the heads of these bolts look like? I'm trying to sort my bolts and don't remember what the originals look like?
Can someone please post a picture to help me out?

Thank you.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 intake bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »
What do the heads of these bolts look like? I'm trying to sort my bolts and don't remember what the originals look like?
Can someone please post a picture to help me out?

Thank you.
I don't have any pictures handy but there are 2  different makers marks that I have predominately seen. F with the grade 5 marks around it and L with a smaller 5 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:07:58 AM »
Is this the bolt?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 12:08:53 PM »
Is this the bolt?
No . L5 or F is what you want.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
OK, thanks. I'll keep looking for them.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
AMK used to sell the L5 marked ones  but through attrition or other reasons stopped about 10 years ago.Probably a few old kits sitting on a Mustang vendors shelf somewhere.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »
Could that be LS instead of L5?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 05:06:04 PM »

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:34:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »

Hope this helps. Standard intake bolt used in 65-66 standard 289's also.  There are other head markings (different suppliers) used for the intake on 65-66's also but that is another subject and thread. 

Thanks Jeff for posting the correct makers mark (not style of bolt) for one type of the intake bolts used on the 67 GT500. The style of bolt head was a generic hardware store type grade 5 bolt with no raised edges or flange etc. Here is a earlier F versioni had handy.Unfortunatly I don't have enough for a set.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 05:35:55 PM »
Thanks Jeff for posting the correct makers mark (not style of bolt) for one type of the intake bolts used on the 67 GT500. The style of bolt head was a generic hardware store type grade 5 bolt with no raised edges or flange etc. Here is a earlier F versioni had handy.Unfortunatly I don't have enough for a set.

Opps - Mind went to small block for some reason. Must have been a lag from questions I had just focused on for another replay. Removed the apparent non-conforming to the thread text in my last reply    :o
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 05:52:09 PM »
I don't see L5 listed as a registered manufacturer of bolts. I didn't look for F yet but perhaps one of you gentlemen already know that and perhaps neither is still a functioning manufacturer?

By the same token, 5 isn't a recognized manufacturer either?

The flat washer used with these is a captured split lock washer?

Does the 67 GT500 hold the all time record for the most unique, obscure, and limited quantities manufactured of any modern US car?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »
I don't see L5 listed as a registered manufacturer of bolts. I didn't look for F yet but perhaps one of you gentlemen already know that and perhaps neither is still a functioning manufacturer?

By the same token, 5 isn't a recognized manufacturer either?

The flat washer used with these is a captured split lock washer?

Does the 67 GT500 hold the all time record for the most unique, obscure, and limited quantities manufactured of any modern US car?
The bolts use a flat washer and not a split lock washer that would dig into the aluminum. I am sure that it is a matter of perception for the most unique, obscure, and limited quantities. I would think one of the Cobras but they were mostly made in the UK . There is more likely another winner of that prize