Author Topic: HELP with Carroll Shelby Photo in '70 Performance Buyer's Digest  (Read 4145 times)

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
HELP with Carroll Shelby Photo in '70 Performance Buyer's Digest
« on: November 29, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
I've long been trying to find the source of this great Carroll Shelby photo that I have, of him looking up to the night sky. Is it at Sebring I wonder?? Anyway, I've had it for so long that I always thought I recalled that it was from some magazine. I was astonished when I removed it from its sleeve and found that it was actually from a 16-page Ford '70 Performance Buyer's Digest.

Now, I have two different 1970 Performance Buyer's Digests - one dated 8/69 and one dated 1/70, and it's definitely not in either of those two. Each of mine have 16 pages, and every page is numbered in both versions. The Torino page on the back side of the Shelby photo is not numbered, so it is absolutely from a different dated Performance Buyer's Digest than the two I have.

Does anyone here have the Buyer's Digest that contains this Shelby photo? If so, I would love to see the cover, learn the date of it and hopefully acquire one for myself!

Thanks,
Kieth     

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: HELP with Carroll Shelby Photo in '70 Performance Buyer's Digest
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
Hi Kieth, I read just read your request regarding the Performance Buyers Digest, and I just wanted to let you know that I went through all my literature, and I can't help you either. Perhaps one of our BIG time collectors will read your post and be able to help you. Good luck 

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:47:35 PM »
The back of the head of the guy in the COBRA jacket looks as though it might be Phil Hill - maybe Sebring '65?

Just a thought...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »
I can't see a Performance digest magazine putting a '65 photo in a 1970 digest. Both cars are '70 cars. JMO

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »
I have the actual page literally in my hand, or I wouldn’t believe it either. The image that I stitched together is of both sides of the same piece of paper. I’ve had the Shelby photo in an album for decades, but only very recently pulled it out of the plastic sleeve and looked at the backside of it.

What really has me wondering, is why Ford would have been aligning themselves so much in 1970 when, if you will, ‘that (Shelby) ship had sailed.’  That they would attach an entire page photo of Shelby on the backside of a page of 1970 Torino artwork is beyond puzzling to me now.

Again, I have two other different ‘70 Performance Buyer’s Digests (different dates) and neither of them have this Shelby photo inside. Sadly, I must have had the entire brochure at one time, but apparently elected to discard the rest of it as I found the Shelby photo more interesting.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »
Would it have something to do with Ford buying the Cobra name for $1, and then promoting several of their '70s models with some sort of Cobra name?

A pix of CS with the Cobra logo was probably still cool to many Ford performance car buyers in 1970.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 09:19:00 PM »
Well, that all makes good sense, and I agree with your thoughts.

I guess I was still stuck back in time a bit before that, when Ford was introducing/promoting all the Mustang models (Mach 1, Boss, etc.) that were in direct competition with the Shelbys. That’s what prompted my line of thinking when I made those observations...

goingthing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 09:14:53 AM »
My guess is that is not from the 1970 Performance Digest. That page is not 16 in there. I believe that is a magazine advertisement. If you look on Ebay there are several two page ads of that exact advertisement. Yes they talk about the Performance Digest in the ad but its from a magazine or other publication.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »
I think the add was more about selling fords new 429 cj  scj models .  I had a 1970 429 scj shaker torino cobra and it was a separate model by itself blacked out hood grill etc and snake emblems and COBRA lettering with snakes. It also had special unique cobra door panel emblems and dash emblems for the unique cobra model.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:31:20 AM »
I've long been trying to find the source of this great Carroll Shelby photo that I have, of him looking up to the night sky. Is it at Sebring I wonder?? Anyway, I've had it for so long that I always thought I recalled that it was from some magazine. I was astonished when I removed it from its sleeve and found that it was actually from a 16-page Ford '70 Performance Buyer's Digest.

Now, I have two different 1970 Performance Buyer's Digests - one dated 8/69 and one dated 1/70, and it's definitely not in either of those two. Each of mine have 16 pages, and every page is numbered in both versions. The Torino page on the back side of the Shelby photo is not numbered, so it is absolutely from a different dated Performance Buyer's Digest than the two I have.

Does anyone here have the Buyer's Digest that contains this Shelby photo? If so, I would love to see the cover, learn the date of it and hopefully acquire one for myself!

Thanks,
Kieth     

Veey kool add
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »
My guess is that is not from the 1970 Performance Digest. That page is not 16 in there. I believe that is a magazine advertisement. If you look on Ebay there are several two page ads of that exact advertisement. Yes they talk about the Performance Digest in the ad but its from a magazine or other publication.

Okay, wow - that’s a very keen observation of yours, Thanks for chiming in! After you posted that, I did go back to my page, and yes, it does now feel more like magazine paper, you’re right. The Performance Buyer’s Digest pages are a bit heavier, like a brochure type of paper would be. That, and the fact that every page in both of my Digest’s do have page numbers on them (and this page does not) lends all credence to your theory.

That’s what’s so cool about bouncing stuff like this off of other sets of eyes. My mind was just preset on what I thought it was, therefore it kept me from considering other explanations.

Off to eBay now to contact the sellers of those Torino ads, and find out what’s on the backside of them!

Thanks again,
Kieth

goingthing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
Keep us updated on what you find. Interested in which magazine and month it was in and what the Shelby picture went with on the opposite page. Could have been a story or part of a advertisement.

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 08:35:19 AM »
So far, I’ve run into misinformation, false leads and frustration. But I think I finally uncovered the crumb of information I needed, and have placed an order.

Waiting to have it in my hands though before I confirm the source here...

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it,
Kieth

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
What did you ever find out

Roy.
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.