News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5013 - Mecum Kissimmee

Started by silverton_ford, November 20, 2020, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Not mine, but here for discussion.  :)

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-444577/1965-shelby-gt350-fastback/

HIGHLIGHTS
SFM5S013
6,950 miles
Designated by Shelby American as an "Advanced Prototype", completed January 25, 1965
Used as a PR car for Shelby American and was the subject of a poster
Picked up by Hi-Performance Motors in Los Angeles on May 20, 1965
Purchased by its original owner, John Christy, then-editor of Sports Car Graphic Magazine on May 24, 1965
Christy famously conducted a 10,000 mile road test using SFM5007 for Sports Car Graphic and was enamored with the car's performance and handling
In the care of the same owner since October 1989 and not driven and kept under cover since
Transported to an expert technician in 2016 for service where the brake and fuel systems were refurbished
HiPo 289/306 HP V-8 engine
Holley 715 CFM 4-barrel carburetor
Cobra aluminum high rise intake and Cobra Powered by Ford aluminum valve covers
Tri-Y headers and side exhaust
Borg Warner 4-speed manual transmission
9 inch rear end with 3.89 gears and Detroit Locker
Traction bars and Koni adjustable shocks
Front disc brakes
Wimbledon White with Blue striping
Trunk-mounted Autolite battery
Shelby-Cragar 15 inch wheels, a $273 option in 1965
Extensive ownership history detailed in the Shelby Registry
Featured in October 2017 issue of Mustang Monthly

JohnHouston

Nice car, obviously, but this is what I love about auction write-ups . . .

"Christy famously conducted a 10,000 mile road test using SFM5007"

"6,950 miles"

Hmmmm .. .

John

davez

two different cars
10000 miles on 007
he then bought 013

Vernon Estes

Quote from: JohnHouston on November 20, 2020, 11:26:13 AM
Nice car, obviously, but this is what I love about auction write-ups . . .

"Christy famously conducted a 10,000 mile road test using SFM5007"

"6,950 miles"

Hmmmm .. .

John

#007 was the press car Christy did that in

This car is #5013, which Christy purchased new after conducting that road test.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

gt350hr

Can of black paint for engine and pinch weld black out , fuel pump and line, fuel line clip, air cleaner, dampner . Minor things to make a large difference. Nice car for sure. My guess is over $450K
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: gt350hr on November 20, 2020, 05:25:58 PM
   Can of black paint for engine and pinch weld black out , fuel pump and line, fuel line clip, air cleaner, dampner . Minor things to make a large difference. Nice car for sure. My guess is over $450K

+1... someone with a little know-how could drastically improve the car overall for not much cost.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on November 20, 2020, 05:25:58 PM
   Can of black paint for engine and pinch weld black out , fuel pump and line, fuel line clip, air cleaner, dampner . Minor things to make a large difference. Nice car for sure...............

Agreed. One reason owners often get someone that knows the breed of their type of car to prep the car before they go to auctions. Hire the wrong guys you get the the engine compartment decal kit including the all too popular CAUTION FAN and the cheap vinyl with white flocked backing trunk mat

Of course on unrestored cars there are different things to consider
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tomhawk

Maybe find an original tach. Not sure about the oil pressure. My originals all had a colored needles. Pkg. tray painted white inside the trunk? Nice car though, I would own it.

Szabo

Does anybody know the POSTER where 5013 was on?

And was this 1A License Plate shown on the Car?

sfm5

I like the little bit of patina showing in some places on this example, ie: fender bolts, as there are a growing number of "100% shiny"  65s out there. I thought the hood lanyards were not original on any 65s. Anyone with a definitive answer on that? My other question is about the blacked out looking Cragars I see on a few cars - seem to recall 5s120 has them as well. Was that a day 2 mod done by early owners?
65 GT350

chris NOS

Quote from: sfm5 on November 21, 2020, 02:18:20 PM
I like the little bit of patina showing in some places on this example, ie: fender bolts, as there are a growing number of "100% shiny"  65s out there. I thought the hood lanyards were not original on any 65s. Anyone with a definitive answer on that? My other question is about the blacked out looking Cragars I see on a few cars - seem to recall 5s120 has them as well. Was that a day 2 mod done by early owners?

Lanyards not originals, and few wheels where black out originals , don't know exactly on how many cars and witch ones , but rare. Somebody maybe has more infos about it.

SFM5S000

I too would have to agree that this is an incredible car. I'd start by saying aside from what others have are really mentioned I like that I see the square cornered door sills as well as the all clear windshield, but to nit-pick the items to be corrected further I'd also say it definitely needs s new tachometer. It's currently reading about 1000 rpms sitting there in gear and no oil pressure. It's definitely broken in need of replacement with a correct AC Delco unit.
The horn toggle in there is a Lucas piece, not the momentary (but this was considered a prototype) also its mounting location is not the norm. And lastly the Steering wheel center cap isn't the double stepped piece either. But, this is an awesome car to own. It would be a fun project to correct.

Happy holidays,

Cheers
~Earl J

Rickmustang

Looks like a 16" Cobra steering wheel? I can't see enough details on the center cap....?
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rickmustang on November 21, 2020, 06:42:02 PM
Looks like a 16" Cobra steering wheel? I can't see enough details on the center cap....?
Your right on second look that does appear to be a 16 inch wheel . If it were a 15 inch wheel it would be like the repro . I let the metal on the outside of the wood rim fool me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S000

And when the new owner finishes replacing the correct pieces (should he or she decide to) he/she could swing it by the body shop and have the side stripes re-sprayed in the correct location and dimensions either before or after spraying the pinch seam.
Hey, this would be an incredible car.

Happy holidays
Cheers,
~Earl J