News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help with horn that doesn't isn't working with new steering wheel--

Started by Tinface, November 16, 2020, 06:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinface

Guys--

I own a 1966 GT350 with the proper steering wheel. I decently purchase a steering wheel here on SAAC. I installed it with some kind suggestions form members who helped me get the old on e off the car. The horn works just fine with that wheel. However, when the new wheel is installed--a little spark sparks off the steering rod and wheel when it first touches the steering rod to the wheel housing-then a little "click" (a circuit breaker) sounds. Once the wheel nut is snugged and the wheel is on the car--that little "click" continues to "click" ever Nth second--(about 30 second intervals?).

The horn button on the wheel doesn't activate the horn now. However, when I switch the wheel out back to the original wheel, the horn works just fine when the 1966 steering wheel horn button is pushed.

I have a little multi tester that I don't know how to use for things like this.

Does anyone have an idea of how to go about figuring out how to solve this problem?

Thank you,

Mark
SFM6S2148

"Tinface"

1109RWHP

Not sure what format those pictures are in but I can't open them.

Tinface

@1109RWHP thank you for the heads up.

I'll take new photos and post them tomorrow.
Mark

texas swede

My friend Roland in Sweden bought a repo steering wheel for 6S923 and the horn contacts
don't tough the sleeve. He has tried to adjust them but to no avail. He uses a separate button
for the horn now.
Texas Swede

pmustang

Texas. I don't deal in Shelbys but more pedestrian examples. We probably have to switch 25% of cars to a separate switch

Wish they could make stuff better.

Tinface

My photos,

It's interesting that when I Post this from my Apple devises, I "attach"  the photos and they show up on the post——but when I click on the attachments it displays a text box "download or cancel". Is anyone able to open these photos?

Thank you,

Mark

honker

I can see the photos on my Macbook, couple out of Focus that's all.

Don Johnston

Your  photos download in a few seconds when I tried.  This YouTube video from CJ Pony might help with the assembly process.  Maybe the horn ring assembly does not match up with the new wheel. 8)

Royce Peterson

I recently purchased three 1968 reproduction steering wheels for projects that I am working on. All three had the same symptoms that you describe - horn shorted to ground. I investigated and found that the horn contacts were attached to all three steering wheels using improper length screws. They had added washers that touched the inner horn ring(12 volts hot all the time) to the center of the steering wheel so that installing the wheel shorted the circuit to ground. When I connected the battery I could hear the incessant clicking, same as you. The clicking noise is the horn circuit breaker which is part of the headlamp switch.

I fixed all three steering wheels by replacing the too - long screws with screws of the proper length and eliminated the washers causing the trouble.

It's another example of incredibly bad Chinese quality control. 
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Tinface

Wow--that's. helpful. But I hope this doesn't mean I paid $5,000 for a steering wheel that was actually made in China. I purchased it from Dan here on SAAC in the Parts Area listed along with the blue steel hood Dan has for sale.

Dan is definitely not the kind of man to misrepresent something like that. But someone else might have to him wen he purchased it. Dan posted it here with photos too. The clonclousion was that it appeared to be an original wheel.

therein lies the problem with the Chinese knock off stuff for our cars--it's fairly close the actual. Then it gets passed off as an original part --which is the whole point of it.

How can I tell if I got a knock off when or an original wheel sold in a Ford dealership in 1966 or 1967?

Mark

pmustang

Royce. I have two new appearing 68 wheels with that issue

Thank you. Peter

Royce Peterson

Two of the reproduction wheels were the '68 deluxe style from Best In Show. One was the standard style and came from NPD. All three had the identical same hardware causing the identical same symptoms. I am sure they can be distinguished from original wheels by laying them side by side with an original.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock