News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hertz Brake Warning Decal Location?

Started by hertz350, November 10, 2020, 12:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

I am trying to find out when and if Shelby applied the Hertz brake warning decal at the factory. I am  also looking for information on where to attach the Hertz brake warning decal for cars built and shipped in March 1966. I have seen them mounted on the dash pad above the radio and on the dash metal below the radio. Hertz 1621 for sale at Mecum this Friday has one on the dash pad. I have no idea if this is original to that car.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

6s1640

Here is 6S2138.  Can't say whether brake warning sticker location is original or not.

I'd like to know, why didn't they go to stock Mustang passenger pads?  For sure the  sticker was cheaper than swapping out brake pads, which would seam to be a better solution.  The homologating the racing brakes by the introduction on the rental program really should not still been needed.  It also might have been marketing to leave racing brakes on.  Who knows?

Cory

deathsled

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 10, 2020, 03:10:24 AM
Here is 6S2138.  Can't say whether brake warning sticker location is original or not.

I'd like to know, why didn't they go to stock Mustang passenger pads?  For sure the  sticker was cheaper than swapping out brake pads, which would seam to be a better solution.  The homologating the racing brakes by the introduction on the rental program really should not still been needed.  It also might have been marketing to leave racing brakes on.  Who knows?

Cory
That is a good looking set of gauges. They look from the 60s. What do they read?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

JohnHouston

The location above is what I would expect, although not all Mico cars seemed to have them.

jpd

Rocket

The decal on 550 was on the dash pad when I bought it in 1967. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

gt350hr

477 didn't have one at all and there was no evidence one was ever there. This car was one of the ''Brake test" cars so IMHO it never had one. I don't recall Dave @ Shasta Mustang saying 476 had one either. It was another brake test car shipped to San Francisco.
   In my years of following the Hertz cars from '67 on , it does seem there was a change from dash pad to under the radio before the 1,000s and later vins. Back then they were for sale all over the place out here in Ca. It didn't seem to matter which type master cylinder was on the cars.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

FYI The dash pad is more in the line of sight for a safety item which may be a reason for the dashpad location. Unfortunately the stickers would sometime curl up and fall off of the dash pad. They stick much better to the metal dash. The falling off the dash pad tendency may have had something to do with a preferred metal dash location.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: hertz350 on November 10, 2020, 12:21:57 AM
I am trying to find out when and if Shelby applied the Hertz brake warning decal at the factory. I am  also looking for information on where to attach the Hertz brake warning decal for cars built and shipped in March 1966. ..................

Closest one I have pictures of from an unrestored car is 6S1607 and it was still on the dash pad. Still attached though well wrinkled

Just offering that finding out there for consideration
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

As noted on the pre crash forum there is also a difference in "wording" on the stickers "out there" Jeff might chime in on his findings/pictures.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

hertz350

So....Are we sure that SAI actually was installing the decal in March 66 as opposed to Hertz doing it in the field? The SAAC registry discusses that at some point in time Shelby sent brake pads and shoes and this decal out to certain Hertz rental facilities to deal with the reported braking problems. However, the registry does not discuss the time period this fix covered.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on November 10, 2020, 11:46:07 PM
So....Are we sure that SAI actually was installing the decal in March 66 as opposed to Hertz doing it in the field? The SAAC registry discusses that at some point in time Shelby sent brake pads and shoes and this decal out to certain Hertz rental facilities to deal with the reported braking problems. However, the registry does not discuss the time period this fix covered.
As sure as we can be given the information on hand. For instance it would stand to reason the sticker would be in use at least at the time that Mico masters were put into use and probably prior to given the sticker was the easiest fix until a more permanent one was found.  The expectations currently are that the sticker would be present at least until evidence suggests otherwise. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on November 10, 2020, 03:57:05 PM
   As noted on the pre crash forum there is also a difference in "wording" on the stickers "out there" Jeff might chime in on his findings/pictures.

Looking into it - been swamped today :)

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 10, 2020, 11:58:09 PM
As sure as we can be given the information on hand. For instance it would stand to reason the sticker would be in use at least at the time that Mico masters were put into use and probably prior to given the sticker was the easiest fix until a more permanent one was found.  The expectations currently are that the sticker would be present at least until evidence suggests otherwise.

+1 Especially since we are discussing a later car built after all the issues.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

hertz350