News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Question on 1968 convertible top replacement.

Started by Supersnakeingrass, March 23, 2018, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supersnakeingrass

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my folding glass backed White convertible top for #2651.  I know the topic
of proper replacement has been discussed in the forums before but after the server meltdown
I can't seem to find the information.  Which Brand and top should I be looking at.   The junction
between the split glass is starting to "split" and the top is starting to look ratty.

Any help would be appreciated.

SSIG

1968 Shelby GT 350 Convertible #2651 - Sold to a good home.

68blk500c

Check with TLea here; Tim can advise you, if you want one that is made spot-on.

8T03S1425

There was a pretty good thread on this subject 2-3 years or so ago. It was complete with a discussion about the need to tailor cut and sew a top to specifications to accommodate a rear bow set dimension, versus buying a readily available top and setting the rear bow distance as needed. Apparently that spec changed after a bit of time, presumably to have the top or folding glass last longer.

If nothing surfaces, I'll look to see if I still have the printed article. If I do, I'll recap the issues and recommendations.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

corbins

Quote from: 68blk500c on March 26, 2018, 12:12:46 AM
Check with TLea here; Tim can advise you, if you want one that is made spot-on.
+1 ...he's the man !!  And a nice one to boot :)

Supersnakeingrass

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on March 26, 2018, 12:18:26 PM
There was a pretty good thread on this subject 2-3 years or so ago. It was complete with a discussion about the need to tailor cut and sew a top to specifications to accommodate a rear bow set dimension, versus buying a readily available top and setting the rear bow distance as needed. Apparently that spec changed after a bit of time, presumably to have the top or folding glass last longer.

If nothing surfaces, I'll look to see if I still have the printed article. If I do, I'll recap the issues and recommendations.

Thanks...

SSIG

8T03S1425

Hey there interested folks. Sorry for the delay. It took me a while to find the safe place in which I filed these forum threads on this topic. Wouldn't you know it, it was in the last place I looked. I shoulda started there instead of the hundreds of other places I looked before the last place. Anywho, here're two threads I saved for future reference. A sincere thanks to Bob Gaines, Shasmu, Bill Collins, Tim Lea, and MustangsInOz for their input.

And then there was this one, with a some what spirited discussion on the rear bow height dimension. Please note that page 6 of 6 was a blank page.

I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Supersnakeingrass

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on March 30, 2018, 02:20:28 PM
Hey there interested folks. Sorry for the delay. It took me a while to find the safe place in which I filed these forum threads on this topic. Wouldn't you know it, it was in the last place I looked. I shoulda started there instead of the hundreds of other places I looked before the last place. Anywho, here're two threads I saved for future reference. A sincere thanks to Bob Gaines, Shasmu, Bill Collins, Tim Lea, and MustangsInOz for their input.

And then there was this one, with a some what spirited discussion on the rear bow height dimension. Please note that page 6 of 6 was a blank page.

This information is awesome.  I measured my bow height and it is 20 1/2 inches.
I will price one out tomorrow from my local installers. 

Thanks,

SSIG

corbins

Old and a bit pissy thread form the past.... BUT ,,, is one suppose to unzip the rear glass prior to raising and lowering the convertible top? And no, I didn't bother to check my owners manual... just wondering.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: corbins on April 26, 2018, 08:09:10 PM
Old and a bit pissy thread form the past.... BUT ,,, is one suppose to unzip the rear glass prior to raising and lowering the convertible top? And no, I didn't bother to check my owners manual... just wondering.
Yes , unzip if you want to lower the risk of the silcone joint pulling apart.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

Thanks Bob !  I thought I had read that somewhere at some point. Sounds logical.

rsmith

Anyone had experience with tops from The Convertible Top Guys? Their web page looks like they know something.

Rukiddin

Just trying to help......I replaced the top on my 68 and bought it from NPD. It is a EZ-ON product with folding glass rear window. My only previous experiment was replacing 84 Mustang top,20 years ago.I used the Ford factory shop manual and found it to cover every step. I would say that it is a challenge,but rewarding. Go slow and read the manual. Buy a GOOD pair of scissors. I bought a great pair on Ebay for $20, Gingher brand. There are many,many how-to videos on youtube and I watched many of them over and over,until I felt comfortable proceeding. Don't throw anything away until done. You may find it a good time to check the latches and bushings and correct them,if needed. Take pictures of the old top and refer to them often. A good,heavy duty staple gun is needed. Watch a few videos and read the manual. Get a quote from a top shop and see how much you can save! Go for it !
Ford manual shows making a wooden jig/template to locate rear bow that is way off. Measure your bows and take notes.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rukiddin on February 23, 2021, 12:04:32 PM
Just trying to help......I replaced the top on my 68 and bought it from NPD. It is a EZ-ON product with folding glass rear window. My only previous experiment was replacing 84 Mustang top,20 years ago.I used the Ford factory shop manual and found it to cover every step. I would say that it is a challenge,but rewarding. Go slow and read the manual. Buy a GOOD pair of scissors. I bought a great pair on Ebay for $20, Gingher brand. There are many,many how-to videos on youtube and I watched many of them over and over,until I felt comfortable proceeding. Don't throw anything away until done. You may find it a good time to check the latches and bushings and correct them,if needed. Take pictures of the old top and refer to them often. A good,heavy duty staple gun is needed. Watch a few videos and read the manual. Get a quote from a top shop and see how much you can save! Go for it !
Ford manual shows making a wooden jig/template to locate rear bow that is way off. Measure your bows and take notes.
+1 on air staple gun and staples that are specific for the job . I sourced the air staple gun and staples from a local automotive upholstery supply co.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby