Author Topic: Question on 1968 convertible top replacement.  (Read 4050 times)

Question on 1968 convertible top replacement.
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my folding glass backed White convertible top for #2651.  I know the topic
of proper replacement has been discussed in the forums before but after the server meltdown
I can't seem to find the information.  Which Brand and top should I be looking at.   The junction
between the split glass is starting to "split" and the top is starting to look ratty.

Any help would be appreciated.

SSIG

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:05:46 PM by Supersnakeingrass »
1968 Shelby GT 350 Convertible #2651 - Sold to a good home.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question on 1968 convertible top replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:12:46 AM »
Check with TLea here; Tim can advise you, if you want one that is made spot-on.

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
There was a pretty good thread on this subject 2-3 years or so ago. It was complete with a discussion about the need to tailor cut and sew a top to specifications to accommodate a rear bow set dimension, versus buying a readily available top and setting the rear bow distance as needed. Apparently that spec changed after a bit of time, presumably to have the top or folding glass last longer.

If nothing surfaces, I'll look to see if I still have the printed article. If I do, I'll recap the issues and recommendations.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
Check with TLea here; Tim can advise you, if you want one that is made spot-on.
+1 ...he's the man !!  And a nice one to boot :)

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:50:24 AM »
There was a pretty good thread on this subject 2-3 years or so ago. It was complete with a discussion about the need to tailor cut and sew a top to specifications to accommodate a rear bow set dimension, versus buying a readily available top and setting the rear bow distance as needed. Apparently that spec changed after a bit of time, presumably to have the top or folding glass last longer.

If nothing surfaces, I'll look to see if I still have the printed article. If I do, I'll recap the issues and recommendations.

Thanks...

SSIG

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
Hey there interested folks. Sorry for the delay. It took me a while to find the safe place in which I filed these forum threads on this topic. Wouldn't you know it, it was in the last place I looked. I shoulda started there instead of the hundreds of other places I looked before the last place. Anywho, here're two threads I saved for future reference. A sincere thanks to Bob Gaines, Shasmu, Bill Collins, Tim Lea, and MustangsInOz for their input.

And then there was this one, with a some what spirited discussion on the rear bow height dimension. Please note that page 6 of 6 was a blank page.

I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 03:13:24 AM »
Hey there interested folks. Sorry for the delay. It took me a while to find the safe place in which I filed these forum threads on this topic. Wouldn't you know it, it was in the last place I looked. I shoulda started there instead of the hundreds of other places I looked before the last place. Anywho, here're two threads I saved for future reference. A sincere thanks to Bob Gaines, Shasmu, Bill Collins, Tim Lea, and MustangsInOz for their input.

And then there was this one, with a some what spirited discussion on the rear bow height dimension. Please note that page 6 of 6 was a blank page.

This information is awesome.  I measured my bow height and it is 20 1/2 inches.
I will price one out tomorrow from my local installers. 

Thanks,

SSIG

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
Old and a bit pissy thread form the past.... BUT ,,, is one suppose to unzip the rear glass prior to raising and lowering the convertible top? And no, I didn't bother to check my owners manual... just wondering.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »
Old and a bit pissy thread form the past.... BUT ,,, is one suppose to unzip the rear glass prior to raising and lowering the convertible top? And no, I didn't bother to check my owners manual... just wondering.
Yes , unzip if you want to lower the risk of the silcone joint pulling apart.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:20:41 AM »
Thanks Bob !  I thought I had read that somewhere at some point. Sounds logical.

rsmith

• 1968 GT350 Conv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
Anyone had experience with tops from The Convertible Top Guys? Their web page looks like they know something.

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »
Just trying to help......I replaced the top on my 68 and bought it from NPD. It is a EZ-ON product with folding glass rear window. My only previous experiment was replacing 84 Mustang top,20 years ago.I used the Ford factory shop manual and found it to cover every step. I would say that it is a challenge,but rewarding. Go slow and read the manual. Buy a GOOD pair of scissors. I bought a great pair on Ebay for $20, Gingher brand. There are many,many how-to videos on youtube and I watched many of them over and over,until I felt comfortable proceeding. Don’t throw anything away until done. You may find it a good time to check the latches and bushings and correct them,if needed. Take pictures of the old top and refer to them often. A good,heavy duty staple gun is needed. Watch a few videos and read the manual. Get a quote from a top shop and see how much you can save! Go for it !
 Ford manual shows making a wooden jig/template to locate rear bow that is way off. Measure your bows and take notes.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 02:54:37 PM »
Just trying to help......I replaced the top on my 68 and bought it from NPD. It is a EZ-ON product with folding glass rear window. My only previous experiment was replacing 84 Mustang top,20 years ago.I used the Ford factory shop manual and found it to cover every step. I would say that it is a challenge,but rewarding. Go slow and read the manual. Buy a GOOD pair of scissors. I bought a great pair on Ebay for $20, Gingher brand. There are many,many how-to videos on youtube and I watched many of them over and over,until I felt comfortable proceeding. Don’t throw anything away until done. You may find it a good time to check the latches and bushings and correct them,if needed. Take pictures of the old top and refer to them often. A good,heavy duty staple gun is needed. Watch a few videos and read the manual. Get a quote from a top shop and see how much you can save! Go for it !
 Ford manual shows making a wooden jig/template to locate rear bow that is way off. Measure your bows and take notes.
+1 on air staple gun and staples that are specific for the job . I sourced the air staple gun and staples from a local automotive upholstery supply co.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby