News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

vintage photo of '66 GT350 with 2000 series COBRA on trailer LAX?

Started by Richstang, March 23, 2018, 10:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

A smaller version of this photo was posted in the "Shelby American History" section.
It was in the "Shelby American; transporters and support vehicles" thread with no added info.

Looking for more info I came across this photo without any captions or notes.

Can anyone confirm the location and or date (possible LAX 1966) or ID either of the two cars?
The CA plate number of the '66 GT350 is "SQG 576"   Thanks for any help?

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Tinface

Really nice photo an great post!

I was just going to say, that does look like LAX in the day—which Day—I don't know—perhaps there is a plane aficionado who can identify the make, model  and year of the jet in the background.

I wonder if it's a publicity photo by Shelby?

Tin

Richstang

I should have looked into the plane. It matches the R&T cover photo, so it appears to be at LAX to the northwest of the two hangers.
(Thanks to SFM66H for the scanned photo)

Bill Collins

Quote from: Tinface on March 23, 2018, 11:20:40 AM
Really nice photo an great post!

I was just going to say, that does look like LAX in the day—which Day—I don't know—perhaps there is a plane aficionado who can identify the make, model  and year of the jet in the background.

I wonder if it's a publicity photo by Shelby?

Tin

If you are referring to the jet shown way in the background just above the rear window of the Shelby, it's a Boeing 727. Probably a 727-100 model which first entered service in February of 1963. It was a favorite of medium haul airlines for over 20 years, finally being retired in 1984.

Spent some time on a few of them. You didn't want to sit near the back, as the triple engines were directly attached to the back end of the main airframe as opposed to being mounted on the wings (two aside the fuselage, one built into the tail). This arrangement made it VERY noisy back there!
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Don Johnston

Does look like LAX with United Airlines terminal in background which was across the field from SA.

kranky

I'd say that the Cobra is CSX2085, the Bob Gage Cobra....as to what #? the black 1966 Shelby GT350 is....the Registry has no mention of Bob as an owner (maybe it was a loaner?).  The prop plane looks to Shelby's own if you notice the CS logo up by the nose in the Lime Green Road and Track photo.

Kranky

gt350hr

Also note the car has no roof stripes ( eliminating a Hertz) and a right side Rotunda mirror. That should really narrow down the possibilities. "I" have never seen a black Hertz car without roof stripes ( back in the day).
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6s2020

Quote from: gt350hr on March 23, 2018, 05:47:30 PM
   Also note the car has no roof stripes ( eliminating a Hertz) and a right side Rotunda mirror. That should really narrow down the possibilities. "I" have never seen a black Hertz car without roof stripes ( back in the day).

I would have thought the White side stripes would have eliminated it as a Hertz ?

But then again, looking at some other B+W photos of Hertz cars it is hard to tell Gold from white.

Also no H on the side stripe.

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Richstang

I think it's safe to say the plane is Shelby's and the '66 GT350 is not a Hertz.
The GT350 paint color could be Ivy Green (246) or Raven Black (89) in non Hertz cars. I'm guessing it is black.

Kranky,

Thanks for noting your thoughts on the Cobra being csx2085.
Without a MFG plate on the GT350, it's hard to believe it is a loaner. Maybe a friends car, if not Bob's.

6s2020

Quote from: Richstang on March 23, 2018, 06:47:19 PM
I think it's safe to say the plane is Shelby's and the '66 GT350 is not a Hertz.
The GT350 paint color could be Ivy Green (246) or Raven Black (89) in non Hertz cars. I'm guessing it is black.

Kranky,

Without a MFG plate on the GT350, it's hard to believe it is a loaner. Maybe a friends car, if not Bob's.

Hi Rich, +1 on it being black car white side stripes non Hertz car.

also that should read 29 not 89

And take out the black cars with over the top stripes and your down to 20 odd ?

Would a company car like 6S2020 have worn MFG plates or regular lic plates?
And if regular plates were worn at SAI, would new regular plates been fitted when car sold after they closed down LAX operation?

Richstang

Quote from: 6s2020 on March 23, 2018, 07:03:07 PM
Quote from: Richstang on March 23, 2018, 06:47:19 PM

Kranky,

Hi Rich, +1 on it being black car white side stripes non Hertz car.

also that should read 29 not 89

And take out the black cars with over the top stripes and your down to 20 odd ?

Would a company car like 6S2020 have worn MFG plates or regular lic plates?
And if regular plates were worn at SAI, would new regular plates been fitted when car sold after they closed down LAX operation?

Thank you for the correction Darryll. I guess 89 was a registry typo?
Looking at my LAX photos I think you may be right. It seems there were company cars with standard issue CA plates. As far as I know, whenever a car is sold in the US, the new registered owner typically gets new plates issued. However I have heard of CA black plates getting transferred to the next owner. Maybe a California resident can confirm.

s2ms

The GT350 also looks to have a Cobra emblem in the grille in place of the typical horse...
Dave - 6S1757

gt350cs

According to our License Plate Records the plate SQG 576 was assigned to GT350 is 6S1809 - CHARLES C. GREEN  LEASE 8/12/66. This information was provided to me by Howard.

Dennis

427 Cobra

Which means the Cobra is CSX2526, black/red interior.  The same airport picture is in the latest SAAC registry for 6S1809 (black), with all the info.  What a sight that sharp pair of cars would have been to have seen!